Reviews for Of Elves and Dwarves and Late Night Philosophy
Rhys chapter 1 . 12/1/2004
Another excellent story! I hope it helps with your writer's block. This was a lovely mix of serious and lighthearted discussion, and an intriguing look at Legolas and Gimli's "discussions" through another's eyes, especially as that other was one who knew them so well. You brought in a great sense of the entire world of Lord of the Rings and this truly seems part of the greater tapestry. The description at the beginning worked very nicely to draw in your reader, and the explanation through Aragorn's thoughts worked wonderfully to set the scene and carry the narration throughout. Legolas and Gimli were, of course, priceless, and Aragorn's attempts to steer clear of the debate very enjoyable, doomed though they were. Truly a masterful story!
Kurremkarmerruk chapter 1 . 12/1/2004
That was great. It was an interesting debate and held my attention. I love the way Gimli and Legolas teamed up against Aragorn and I liked even more the fact Aragorn ended the debate. Twas a lovely little story.
CM chapter 1 . 12/1/2004
:) Remember me?

Its been awhile since I've had a chance to review, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your outstanding wit when it comes to deliberation between Legolas and Gimli!

Its a absolute pleasure to read.
ElfLover chapter 1 . 12/1/2004
Your wit and talent never cease to amaze me. And amuse me, for that matter. I can't count how many times my inner self fell down dead from laughing.

Keep writing these little ficlets, for the sanity (or rather insanity) of your friends and reviewers.

Respectedly,

ElfLover
kingmaker chapter 1 . 12/1/2004
Very interesting fic on two levels. The interplay between the three friends was quite amusing and effectively done, but the topic of the debate, once it settled out, proved to be quite thought-provoking. It seems to have some elements of the nature/nurture debate in it, and it also raises the question of whether the bad minions are innately evil or constantly driven to evil by some exterior force (Sauron) or a combination of both. As someone who has read (and written) too many fics with orc culture, I tend to think the orcs are primarily creatures driven by the need for survival except when backed by the will of Sauron (as exemplified by their actions after he turned his attention to Mount Doom during the Morannon), in which case I generally agree that the evil sustains the creature more than the creature sustains the evil. Very good bit of philosophic meditation.
Aranna Undomiel chapter 1 . 12/1/2004
Funny in a very weird kinda way! ;) Almost as weird as there conversation, you know that means you must be weird to, to be able to come up with all those arguments..lol.

Nice job. Liked the two of them closing in on poor Aragorn :)
rainbow fish chapter 1 . 12/1/2004
i liked the story... gimli and legolas remind me of me and my friend, except our arguements are even more point less

yes... great story
elven dreamer chapter 1 . 12/1/2004
wa...so complicated, these guys! Great characterisation. Loved it how Legolas and Gimli ended up ganging up on aragorn...lol
Tracey chapter 1 . 11/30/2004
That was an awesome story! I love the banter between Legolas and Gimli, and how you put it or to find a better word, exemplified it through this. It was great how Aragorn was kinda stuck in the middle, and interesting to see his view point. hehe. Him counting down to when either of the two would say something was funny, and being able to read the signs on Legolas and Gimli's faces to see who would break the silence first. Like Legolas' jaw twitching.

Gah. I dont review much so i tend to babble on. But i really enjoyed reading this story, and all your others too. The friendship between Gimli and Legolas is great, and i love how you 'capture' it.
TrinityTheSheDevil chapter 1 . 11/30/2004
Very well done! :) And it brings up many interesting view points! I half expected Gimli to say, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Hahah! But it was really good - and funny. :D

Poor Aragorn. The horror he must have felt when he realized they were ganging up on *him*. That reminds me of two friends of mine, they're sisters. Never get into one of their arguments - they'd join forces and turn on you. Hehe.

Keep up the good work. :)

-Trin
Beregond'sGirl chapter 1 . 11/30/2004
Definitely an appealing way to spend the time stuck at my Mom's office, ths is. :-D Thank you for something to do!

As always, your stories are amazing, and I love the characterization of Gimli and Legolas. I am in awe of your abilities in coming up with dialogue for them. *bows* And Aragorn was great, too. *does more bowing*

I thought the actual subject of the argument interesting, as well. I found myself trying to form an argument for what I think, but suddenly realized that I wouldn't be able to present it to them! (That's the problem with fictional characters, you know.) Now, I should see if I can draw in some of *my* friends into a discussion about it. Muhaha. ;) (Oh, that I should be so lucky that it would be half as interesting as this one, though!)
slayer9649 chapter 1 . 11/30/2004
As a fan of everything that I've read that's been written by you, this is no exception. A thoroughly enjoyable tale, and I thank you for writing and sharing it.

Patricia aka slayer9649
Templa Otmena chapter 1 . 11/30/2004
This ficlet represented much of my college Philosophy course concerned with the existence of evil and I tell you, had this gem existed then Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn could have taught me /far/ more in a well spent twenty minutes than my teacher ever did in two years... or so... but isn't that always the way? And people scoff at alternative learning techniques...!

/Very/ intriguing piece. To begin with I loved your descriptions at the beginning as you set the scene and how you picked this up again during the lull in the debate and Legolas and Gimli's silence. Aragorn was an astute and wonderful observer and I was itching for him to get involved. The debate itself and the Elf and the Dwarf's musings (and insults) played out excellently. It all flowed so well and flitted from being feverish to contemplative so often and realistically.

I hope that your bout of writer's block has been abated and we get another piece like this soon!
Lamiel chapter 1 . 11/30/2004
I've enjoyed a bit of late night philosophy with my friends on occasion, and this brings back fond memories. The detailed description was perfectly evocative - I could just see them sitting about the fire, the warm and comfortable atmosphere and the smell of wood smoke and leather. Plus the benefits of seeing Legolas in the firelight... (grin)

Nice mix of serious discussion and banter - after all, no conversation with that Elf and Dwarf could ever be TOO serious. I particularly liked Gimli's line about Elven hair repelling sanity. Ha! And the timing of Legolas' return to the discussion, "It still remains that dwarves would grow taller if they gave up their beards." Very clever.

You might want to check the formatting of this story as it's come up on the website - some paragraphs are broken and repeated in italics. But still a very enjoyable read, as all your work is, and a pleasant treat for us. Hope it did the trick for breaking that writer's block.
Nettie84047 chapter 1 . 11/30/2004
This was a fun and interesting chapter to read. Reminded me a little of the bar talk I have with my b/f. Now I have something new to present to him :o) As always, WELL DONE!
45 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3