Reviews for Charlatan
Moonlight Mile chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
This is really excellent work. It flows beautifully, the rhyming sounds natural and unforced, and you capture Magus's personality nicely as well as his relationship with his mother. I also enjoyed the ending where, despite feeling no love toward this woman, he grows up to be like her.

I enjoyed it so much!
Sylvan chapter 1 . 5/2/2007
Wow, that poem's really awesome. I love the rhythm and the imagery, but most of all, Janus's relationship to his mother is a very interesting subject to me. Some day, I'd love to write a fic about it, but for now, I just jump on whatever I can find that studies the subject. What can I say? So few writers out there touch on relationships that are non-romantic, I can't help but respect those who do.

And I think the point about Magus making the same decisions his mother did when he came into power provokes a lot of thought. Sure, he had different reasons for his decisions, but how much of that is excuse and how much is fate? Admittedly, I'm rambling a bit, and I haven't slept in like six days (finals - blah!), so nothing I say may make any sense.

But suffice to say, this poem is amazing. It makes me want to write stuff.
CfB chapter 1 . 5/24/2005
Out...of...reviewable...material. It happened at last. Guess that means I have to go to and finish where I was there.

Not knowing the subject adds something to this poem, I believe. I am astounded by how much I now know just through your poem. But, mainly, I am more shocked by what happened because I had no idea. I love the line: "But who am I? I’m just your son, and you don’t really care" which really sums up my surprise at the subject. Very contrasting to read something about a mother and son and have it be so bitter.

Great caustic tone also. I love the sarcasm dripping from the words!

The rhythm isn't as defined as in other poems, but this one's entire subject thrust through me more deeply. I really enjoyed it. Great work!
Tawnykit chapter 1 . 5/13/2005
Very well written. As usual, I'm astounded by how your poems always turn out better than whenever I try one. Well, no shock there, poetry never was my fortay. But I enjoy reading it, especially about my favorite characters. Good job!
KM-Kaeshi Midori chapter 1 . 1/6/2005
Wow, this poem is the best of what I've seen concerning Magus/Janus. I must say that one of my mainly favorite characters on all of the videogame world (aside from Link) is Janus/Magus, so I can be a bit hard to critique someone's work if it's not my liking or completely destroying the character's original self, but I must say, you have impressed me with your excellent poem . Congratulations! You have the praise of a true Janus-fan and also the approving of a hard-to-impress fic-criticizing-girl here!

I congratulate you, your work is wonderful, the poem had a nice rhyme and tune, and the feelings and the escenes that it makes you picture in your mind really give you the true feeling about how Janus felt as a boy towards his mother, and how he reflects on it as Magus, as an adult. Keep up the good work, I would love to see another poem about you, specially if its about Janus.

On a side note, I second Daryl's comment on changing the title of the poem to "Like Mother, Like Son" or something similar, I bet it would sound nicer; but it's your decision. (I could suggest "To Mother, From Janus" but I don't know if you would like it or if that's the original purpose of the poem)
Daryl Falchion chapter 1 . 12/20/2004
I think this is an excellent poem, told with passion and pain. I really love the irony at the end. The only thing I'd have perfered was that you'd titled it 'Like Mother like Son'. But that's just me :).
Zipis1 chapter 1 . 12/6/2004
That was just...wow! Seriously...I don't know what else to say...it was great! This is definately one of my favorite poems of yours, though they're all pretty darn good. Anyway...I'm gonna stop blabbering now...
Red Mage 04 chapter 1 . 12/6/2004
Man, this is deep. I've always wondered how Magus/Janus would look back upon his mother, and what he would think of what she did. You've done a good job of shedding a little bit of light on this. Great work, keep it up.