Reviews for Dear Lex
emerald kikyou chapter 1 . 7/23
I wish I could really believe that Lionel actually loved Lex like a father should. It's really hard to believe. I mean yeah , he had some kind of a twisted love for lex but it's not even close to how a parent's love should be. It's not even close. Lionel would choose clark , martha and himself over Lex anytime of the day.
in season 4 , when Lionel called Lex from prison and asked to meet him ( episode transference ) , that moment when he told Lex he had every right to be mad and he understands why he's angry at him - ( Lionel was abusive , cold , deceitful , cruel , slept with his son's girlfriend , hired people to betray Lex's trust and spy on him ( one of them let a plane crash with Lex and left him in a deserted island for months) , even made Lex's psychiatrist betray him , drug him , almost driving him crazy , imprison him in an asylum , torture him with a radical electric shock treatment that could turn him into a vegetable , framed Lex for the murders that happened in the lab , started the first big crack in Lex and clark's friendship when he gave clark the key to the secret room and then almost killed Lex by poisoning him)
Yeah , lex has so much to be angry about , he has so many reasons to hate Lionel and to wish for his death.
YET, when Lionel said the words " I love you " and stretched his hand toward Lex , that look on Lex's face just broke my heart. It's like he truly wants to believe it. He wants his father's love. He YEARNS for it but he still feels hesitant because he was burned and betrayed so many times but against his better judgment he reached out and if it wasn't for clark's interference , Lex would have been trapped in Lionel's body and died shortly after.
If Lionel truly had some kind of a parental love toward Lex , he wouldn't have done that. After transference there is no way Lex could ever believe his father.
ph6fingeredman chapter 1 . 6/22/2006
Sweet! Nice and to-the-point. Your wording is well done and very Lionel. Thanks for the ficlet!
The Die Hard chapter 1 . 12/15/2004
Wouldn't it be awful if Lionel really is "redeemed" - and Lex never believes it?
Knightm chapter 1 . 12/14/2004
Interesting thought…if Lionel was truly converted but still…I think if Lex read this letter he would paste it to his shoe & step on it at every chance he could… regardless of whether Lionel was sincere or not…& that’s what makes these two characters so dynamic in there relationship.

An intriguing read…

& JG doing fanfic?
XMarisolX chapter 1 . 12/14/2004
THE ORIGINAL LETTER (John Glover's):

Lex, my dear son...

Can you believe me if I tell you that I know so well what you are feeling about me, and what it means to be my son?

When I was the same age as you are now, I was filled with anger against my father. I wanted, more than anything, to distance myself from him...from everything he represented.

But, before I finally realized what he had wanted for me...what his secret hopes for me were...he died. And it was too late for me to tell him that I understood...and wished that I had been willing to learn from him when he was alive.

I am telling you this because perhaps, someday, you will be able to understand.

I love you, son, in spite of everything.