Reviews for Sotto Voce
mabidiso chapter 1 . 7/3/2012
Damn fine oneshot. Your Kabuto is so much MORE than the Orochimaru character could ever be, and placing him as a foil to Sasuke is stunning.
ShirouHokuto chapter 1 . 6/29/2012
This is utterly fantastic and heartbreaking - I love it.
CreatorsOfWorlds chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
Great story, and it nearly made me cry. Nice to see someone paying attention to the Sound kids, to Kabuto, and to Sasuke's time in Otogakure.

The few moments I loved best - oh, it's hard to pick and choose, but probably they would be...

Kabuto must not have expected the boy to show up completely alone, because his eyes kept going back over Sasuke's shoulder while he talked, mouthing empty, distracted introductions to Sasuke's new home. Finally the spy tapered off, staring at the horizon as he asked, "Is it really just you?"

The beautiful, simple pathos is stunning

The first thing Sasuke thinks is got you, asshole because it's the only time he's ever seen anything close to honesty on Kabuto's face, and the second is a resounding goddamnfuck because it had borne a suspicious resemblance to pity.

Sasuke - darling - please. Don't display your ignorance. Let's see a little more survival instinct. But honestly, it's good to see a fic where some of Sasuke's vulnerability and insecurity is revealed.

Kabuto isn't Sasuke's teacher-that would be Orochimaru and everyone in Sound knows not to imply otherwise-but Sasuke realizes he's learning things from the doctor anyway. Watching how Kabuto handles the Sannin's whip-fast changes in temper, the way Kabuto lowers his head but keeps his eyes rolled up like a boy taught to bow in alleyways instead of practice mats. Sasuke's getting more out of Kabuto's silences than he is Orochimaru's lesson plans.

That's some beautiful prose right there, and I love both the description of Kabuto and the way Sasuke observes him - I think he would have learned a good deal from him.

Out of spiteful realization, he asks Orochimaru why the Sannin hasn't murdered Jiraiya yet, if killing old friends is so important.

It's an angry retort, but Sasuke means the words. He mulls them over while he's recovering from a newly-broken arm afterwards.

I have to admit - that made me laugh. Sasuke should really learn the beauty of tact. And a concise and well-drawn nod to the relationship between Orochimaru and Jiraiya.

In short, a great fic.
LovelyWeather chapter 1 . 3/21/2012
Wonderful one-shot and highly inspirational (bad timing on my part; I would have loved to have read it *before* I wrote some Sound scenes in my own fic [and I don't know if to love it or hate it that you concentrated on interaction of characters in the kitchen, just like I did, and that your descriptions are so darn good; better than mine, I daresay])

The overall atmosphere is spot-on, gloomy, and heavy, with an edge of danger and then sorrow. I especially like the 'language of the Sound' you made-up, it gives us a completely new perspective of the village (I've never seen it explored so thoroughly before).

All were in character, which is a feat in itself, since I know how challenging both Sasuke and Kabuto can be. Your writing style is lovely, flowing and descriptive. All in all, an enjoyable read. Thank you,

LovelyWeather (glad to be review number fifty ;))
silver neko girl chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
Awesome. You, you and your writing, are fascinating.
Octavius chapter 1 . 5/3/2011
God, I loved this. My favorite portion has to be the expansion on the design and make-up of the Sound Village after the attack on Konoha and the whole ghost town of it-including the carry over of the sub-vocalization language from "C-sharp" as a dead language-and the discussion of Sasuke's fight with the influence of the curse seal.

The viciousness in this line is esp good: "At one point Sasuke is so hungry that he tries to rip open one of the larger hens to extricate the eggs prematurely; what he found was a mass of half-formed shells, a goopy protoplasm that had yet to incubate in her body."
thedreadedlurgy chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
It was weird, but in a good sort of way. Like, you didn't make them friends, but you also didn't make them enemies. Anyways, I liked it. You should write another SOUND story sometime.
Moth Gypsy chapter 1 . 10/21/2009

probably the most honestly revealing line ever written about the boy. i listened to Itzhak Perlman's rendition of the Devil's Trill while reading this, and it made for an interesting effect x:
therest chapter 1 . 5/6/2009
That was amazing. Fuck. I loved it. A lot. Argh, I have nothing intelligent to say, I am not worthy, but.

Thank you.
nancy chapter 1 . 12/12/2008
I love your style of writing, it flows like water. please keep writing, you are very good at it!
My Chemical Romance Dude chapter 1 . 11/24/2007
"suppression; abolition; annihilation: extinction"

I love this story, I couldn't find it for a while since I didn't have an accout back then. Every time I reread this I find something new, I hope you've had at least half as much fun as your readers.

"keeps his eyes rolled up like a boy taught to bow in alleyways instead of practice mats"
Ane S. Thesia chapter 1 . 8/10/2007
This was really, really good. Interesting and haunting. Nice work. I like your style.
Gender Outlaw chapter 1 . 7/30/2007
I so loved that last line..

[Away from Kabuto, who is speaking a language that no one else is alive to understand anymore.]
V-chan chapter 1 . 7/16/2007
that was really awesome...seriously...his mysteriousness and different ways are some of the things that make Kabuto the most appealing as a character for me. and your story makes him seem a little more real. thanx so much.
THE Hyuuga Neji chapter 1 . 6/16/2007
Awesome, what can I say? It's a work of art!
53 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »