Reviews for A Dwarven Yuletide
dark11krad chapter 1 . 3/11/2014
I loved this story!

It's well-written. It has a bit of humor in it, especially coming from Legolas's point of view, and it has an interesting twist to a Dwarven celebration. I haven't yet read anything like this-a marriage ceremony with our favorite Elf and Dwarf, and I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome of it.

I mostly use my account as a journal or "tracker" of the stories I have read over the years, and I only review stories that I feel are truly good and inspiring. This was one of those tales, so I couldn't help but review to let you know how unique it was!

Thank you for writing! _d
Wanderling chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
i love how you portray the Dwarven culture in this story. It is a beautiful story and beautifully written. thank you!
Archiril chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
I loved it! You descibed the Dwarfes so very well! It was very refreshing! :P
Jenn Calaelen chapter 1 . 7/27/2012
Lovely story! I really like the idea that Dwarven weddings celebrate where they have come from (and yay theatre in ME). All the details of the worldbuiling are great - Gimli's family are wonderful (and I really like the idea of him not being an only child)
vectis chapter 1 . 8/14/2008
Many Fan Fiction writers use Gimli as a form of 'comic relief' in their stories so it was great to read something with more substance to his character.
Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 1 . 1/27/2007
Your knowledge of Tolkien's world and the myriad cultures therein is, in a word, exquisite. Even those things you embellished, adapted or created blend in so easily with the established canon cultures, one can hardly tell!

Bravo

Rosie
ForeverinMoonlight chapter 1 . 3/28/2006
This is such a nice change from Legolas and Gimli friendship fics that centured around Legolas. I liked how it was mostly about the dwarves and Gimli. :) Great job!
Artemis1000 chapter 1 . 2/16/2006
Very sweet, I love it!
Dostoevsky's Mouse chapter 1 . 7/14/2005
Beautiful. I loved your descriptions of the play and the wedding, and the traditions of the dwarves. And poor Bombur! Ah. I always love stories about the dwarves, and any story that takes Gimli seriously as a character, rather than using him as some kind of sidekick for Legolas - but this one was especially good. Lovely work.
Archaic Scribe chapter 1 . 6/1/2005
It has been a long time since I have read something told in such a delightful flow. Rich, yet subtly so, in Middle-earth history and that of the Eddas, foods from Germany, and apple dolls from Hungary. You have woven it in so naturally, so easily while still keeping this story so very entertaining. I really appreciate how you are able to balance facts and fiction, so to speak.

Not only that, but you reflected much like I would imagine the speech and mannerisms of both the dwarves and the character of Legolas.

I must add, I am glad to see Legolas set as a normal-type character and not the object of so many other characters’ affections. I guess that basically means, I am so happy to find Legolas is set in a friendship story with not even the slightest romantic prospects for him!

I liked seeing him become minorly victimized by the Dwarven ale and I also enjoyed how you kept him in character when revealing some of his thoughts such as the reference to Gimli’s wife not being bad looking - for a dwarf - and his Elven pride regarding his race being the masters of the dance. Poor drunken elf! I bet it was interesting to see him dancing to the Dwarven music!

In fact, I am beyond happy to see dear Gimli “getting the girl” - a breath of fresh air, this story of yours!

With your story, I was there, at the Dwarven Yuletide seeing the textures of the rocks, the prisms of light, albeit not getting to touch them, but feeling as if I could by just reaching out my hands because of your apt storytelling skills.

I had a huge smile plastered on my face when reading the majority of this, save the drama played out before the wedding ceremony of the creation of the Dwarven race.

The dwarf women in this story are incredible - I would expect no less than a comment like, “Gror, you will mind your manners, lad, or I will…” WONDERFUL - certainly one of my favorite lines!

Your imagery is perfectly balanced with all these many, yet so naturally revealed details. This was delightfully infused with the perfect balance of humor, naturalness and sincerity while providing excellent facts of canon and myth/legend nature. Truly. Bravo!
jojo chapter 1 . 2/5/2005
yeah, bombur is kind of cute in that pathetic way-can you imagine being THAT fat
Dis Thrainsdotter chapter 1 . 1/29/2005
I love this story, and the ceremony is so beutiful. It clearly shows that Gimlis and Legolass friendship is something special.
ph6fingeredman chapter 1 . 1/10/2005
A beautiful story which was very well written. My hat is off to you.
Larian Elensar chapter 1 . 12/27/2004
Told you already, but I really enjoyed this story, I like your Gimli and his family :)
jilian baade chapter 1 . 12/26/2004
Well done! The Dwarven wedding scene was great, as was the Making of the Dwarves play. You ought to be proud of this one!