Reviews for Old Song
Guest chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
This is brilliant! I love the way you wrote it. And it's quite possible that Maglor was still alive at this time and be able to speak Greek. I think the only obvious mistake (and actually the only one I picked up) is the comment on Maglor having red hair. Amras, Amrod and Maedhros are the only sons of FĂ«anor with red hair (which they probably get from their mother, Nerdanel, who has red hair) Maglor, Curufin and Celegorm have black hair while Caranthir has either blond, white or black hair depending on who you talk to.

...

Oh my word, I'm turning into a Silmarillion-purist. Brilliant. *not* Oh well. Wonderful story anyway. I hope you didn't mind my whole 'Maglor doesn't have red hair' speech.
Feanaro24 chapter 1 . 1/12/2005
love ur story,
Evenstar Elanor chapter 1 . 1/1/2005
Great coming together of two tragic figures, who are both wonderful minstrels.

"And I wander, searching beside the shore,

But I am to wander forever more." It fits for both of them. Great job on the song, and the using of Homer's reference of the Dawn.

Maglor's poor hands... I've never connected the two of them, but now I see so many similarities. Thanks for opening my eyes! Good job
Noldo chapter 1 . 12/28/2004
Homer? I'm afraid that I have never read any Homer. *blushes in shame*

Anyhow, Homer aside, I enjoyed this very much. The mention of the Mumak (which, I believe, should have the circumflex, and not the acute accent...) was a nice touch, and I positively adore the ending line. Well done - as always.

(And might I say 'thanks for your concern'? I really appreciate it.)
Vana Tuivana chapter 1 . 12/28/2004
This is an intriguing premise (I think I use that word too much, but it is anyway). I think it's quite possible to happen, if not too likely... but where would fic-writers be without amazing coincidences?

The song Maglor sings is very well done... it rather parallels the tales of both Maglor and Orpheus, don't you think? Nice work, and a great little tale.
Lady Lunas chapter 1 . 12/27/2004
This is a very good story. I like the interactions of Maglor and Orpheus, especially about their music. Maglor is one of my favorite characters from the Silmarillion and you write him extremely well. I like the premise of this. Good job!
Avalon Estel chapter 1 . 12/27/2004
Wonderful job, Neige! I think this is a beautiful piece of work. I've never read the Silmarillion (sounds crazy, with as much as I write Glorfindel), so all I know about Maglor is that he was a harpist. This is wonderfully written, and leaves one with a sense of magical satisfaction. The song was beauitful, and the tale of Orpheus always was sad, so the two of them together...

In short, I loved it!

As some helpful critique, however, you may want to go over the formatting. But I still think it's magnificent!

Avie

P.S. - Thank you so much for reading "Imladris"! I almost died when I saw your review. I really think you're a wonderful writer...and then you read mine...I was dancing and squeaking like an idiot. Thanks!
Crystal113 not logged in chapter 1 . 12/26/2004
My sister says cool- and I heartily agree.

There are a couple of places in which sapces need to be inserted between words: "Hiswide", "for itis", "wander,searchingbeside", " '", and finally "He leavesthe silentManand returns to the beach."

They are in the order which they appeared in the story.

I don't believe this is an AU story. I think it is quite possible that Maglor would still be alive and able to speak Greek. I also loved the part about the red hair. We redheads tend to be a little defensive about our hair. *grins* Cool fic.