Reviews for A Battle of a Different Kind
excalibur2007 chapter 1 . 7/7/2012
Excellent!
Turwaithien chapter 1 . 6/7/2012
Wow! What a fabulous job you did with this story.

You captured Éowyn and Éomer very well and I couldn't help but feel sorry for them both.

I especially liked Éothain's POV. Your empathy is amazing and you depicted the conflicting emotions so well.

Kudos to you! This was totally delightful!
Prieda Solo chapter 1 . 2/6/2007
oh I love the ending. Shows that Eowyn is fighting in all kinds of ways.

Also the fight. Very well written. i have to feel sorry for Eomer because if he wins he's a bully and if he looses he's a coward.
Bellemaine Chercoeur chapter 1 . 10/22/2005
Excellent work! Tightly plotted, and very in character motivation and responses from both Eowyn and Eomee. The shifting point of view to incorporate the watching members of the eored was also effective and welcome, as it hihglighted the consequences of Eowyn's demand. Also lovely touch of including the Grima worries! Great piece of writing, well done!
thayzel chapter 1 . 5/8/2005
This is absolutely great, so complex and intriguing characters.

I enjoyed how you described Éowyn - usually she's glorified but here she's a human with will, determination and skill. I think you have a good psychological insight and it shows.
Mystikal19 chapter 1 . 4/17/2005
Wow, this is really good. I just stumbled upon it today, and I am really glad I did. I really like how Éowyn and Éomer interact. It is tremendously funny at the beginning of the fight, but towards the end I felt so bad for both. Neither wanted to cause the other pain, but to keep them from it. Éothain's musing on the whole thing is very good as well, I had never thought of it that way. I had only thought of Éomer's argue that women are smaller and not as strong as men. You are a great author and I hope you know how much I love this. Great job, you make me see new things in different lights.
Andi chapter 1 . 2/9/2005
I am very impressed, and if it suits you, i would like for you to write more. the way you have displayed everyones spirit is amazing, write more if you wish, i would really enjoy it.
Ithil-valon chapter 1 . 1/3/2005
Wonderful story! I love reading about Eomer and Eowyn...siblings in a stressful and dangerous time.

I really enjoyed and was intrigued by the scene in the extended version of ROTK where Eomer is describing battle to Eowyn. I think it's not so much that he doesn't think she can "hack" it so much that he doesn't want her to have to. Like you so ably say, it's for the love and protection of their families that the men fight so well. I'm sure Eomer has seen things in battle he would prefer not to have seen and would hope that Eowyn never has to see.

I hope you'll do many more vignettes like this, Kat, it's wonderful!
VinterNatt chapter 1 . 12/30/2004
We older siblings are really protective of our younger siblings, although we try not to show them we care too much about them. I love this! It was really great.
Lady Eowyn Undomiel chapter 1 . 12/29/2004
Oh, wow! I really liked that! It captured Eowyn's true warrior spirit. Well done! Is there anymore to be expected?
Tiziana75 chapter 1 . 12/29/2004
I loved that! A very realistic approach to male versus female combat. This is what my "little" brother always does to me at the end of a sparring match. And I do have 2 years more of Kendô training!
shie1dmaidenofrohan chapter 1 . 12/29/2004
Great story. You capture Eomer's and Eowyn's differing opinions on Eowyn's desire to fight really well. And Eomer does very well at proving his point without making Eowyn feel like she's weak. I really enjoyed this.
Larien Calaelen chapter 1 . 12/29/2004
Really good! You have reat description and I love your dialouge. You should continue!
Frigg chapter 1 . 12/29/2004
This is great ... fine characterization of both Éomer and Éowyn. Is this one shot or will you continue the story? You could, you know ...