Reviews for The Choshu Chronicles
TOSoldtimer chapter 27 . 1/24
I thought this was a fantastic read! I was also very impressed with your quest for historical accuracy. I am fairly new to Rurouni Kenshin; mostly I read SciFi. I have only a modest knowledge of Japanese history and culture, mostly due to Japanese American family friends. However, I did buy the live action movie (with English subtitles) last week, and watched it twice. Your story held up very well in comparison. Thanks for making me forget the subzero temps outside.
Murasahki-chan chapter 7 . 9/30/2013
Love your take on Hiko's approach to sake appreciation. Makes so much sense. Oh, and I love the story in general; I really like this view of Kenshin, showing his dedication to the cause as well as the somber, earnestly polite boy that he was. Glad I finally got around to reading this work I've heard so much about.
SunshinePony37 chapter 27 . 9/9/2013
I think...yes, I think I have read this before, years ago. I remember thinking it so sad that Shunme died... and felt sad for Kenshin. Poor kid just couldn't seem to win, could he?
SunshinePony37 chapter 1 . 9/8/2013
I don't know if I've ever read this and it's pretty good. Your attention to detail is impressive and I'm a little envious. Where did you get all this information? Like, in the manga, the inn the men stayed at in Kyoto was called the Kohagi-ya, and yet that is in Hagi... in the Choshu prefecture of the day, right? So what inn or base DID the Ishin use during the Bakumatsu years where Kenshin worked as an assassin? I'm trying to do my own fan fictions but they are seriously lacking... I want to find some information so I can do my fics as accurately as possible.

While watching the first OVA movies and reading the manga I always got the impression that most of the Bakumatsu...at least for Kenshin, was fought primarily in Kyoto. Yet here in your chapter you have written Kenshin traveling BACK to Choshu, which is where he was born, too right? Or at least somewhere in the Choshu province. I remember reading a fic once that talked about that...

I've tried looking through wikipedia but it has virtually nothing. But I am also VERY poor at knowing how to look up information. I also don't know what to look up exactly. But I want to learn so I can at least follow the story more accurately but also build it up more on fact, thus making it more interesting.

What would you recommend?
notsolimpbizkit chapter 12 . 1/13/2013
Your writing is top quality! A minor mistake- okita was the first captain and saito hajime's senior and equal in combat despite being sick (according to history) ... But it's understandable considering okita calls saitou 'master' in the english dubs
Yorushike chapter 27 . 6/26/2012
Hi,

I really like your story especially the ending, but I have a bit of a problem with Kenshin being obsessed with revenge. I don't think Kenshin would want revenge for Tomoe at least neither OVA nor Manga give any implication for it and Kenshin wanting to kill?

Otherwise I really like it and I think that it is very well written
deathshade37 chapter 27 . 9/28/2011
Great fic!Do you watch Gintama?It seems like you would enjoy it.
amamiya chapter 27 . 2/17/2009
Aah, why haven't I stumbled across this one before?

What a bittersweet ending to a fantastic story. I felt it was meticulously researched, and your attention to detail grounded the writing in reality. The action scenes were awesome; I enjoyed the whole thing immensely.

Major kudos to you... you rock!
Raberba girl chapter 27 . 1/13/2009
(ROFL at Hiko cutting Kenshin's hair)

Though Hiko adopted Kenshin when he was ten, I think. (Poor runty kid looked like he was six, and he looked like he was ten when he was fourteen, and so on. ;)

I like how Inui waves to him and then gets confused.

Aw, Kenshin should have let himself smirk. Then Shunme could have died happy.

Inui's dead! That's sad, but...realistic, unfortunately.

NO! YOU KILLED HIM! I didn't expect you to actually kill him! (runs back to scratch out the "die happy" remark)

How horribly ironic, the manner of his death and the subject of their conversation...

And, I guess Kenshin did laugh for him in the end.

Argh, this is so SAD! Especially since I think Shunme is my favorite OC that I've seen. He is great all around, from his humorous to his serious sides.

Well, thank you for the very enjoyable read. I wasn't sure I would be interested in a fic that had so little to do with the story events of the series, but you gave it all a very RuroKen feel even though Kenshin is the only non-historical canon character. It is well-written and well-researched, and I think it's extremely impressive that you got me to like it so much despite how much I hate the OAV. Thanks to kokoronagomu for recommending this to me!
Raberba girl chapter 26 . 1/13/2009
"If Takahata pretended to admire Nakamura so much, Kenshin would show him what it had been like to be Nakamura." Interesting. I really like the conflict Kenshin went through over trying to kill Takahata.

"Perhaps being allowed to live was the crueler fate for him, but it was Kenshin’s salvation." Just like in the rest of the series, like that one-armed guy, one of Enishi's Six Comrades.

Watsuki did not make OAV decisions! Ah! Stop before you break my heart!

Anyway, good chapter, nice balance between vengeful torture and doing the right thing in the end.
Raberba girl chapter 25 . 1/13/2009
Guns vs. swords again, I like it.

“Right. You’re that one.” Ahahahaha!

That is so funny, that Kenshin would run into a lady wanting to talk his ear off in the middle of a battle.
Raberba girl chapter 24 . 1/13/2009
"I kept baiting him, hoping he’d let something slip" - Ah, I see. Interesting.

I really liked how the stuff with Takahata tied in to the stuff with Tomoe.

Great chapter, loved it!

(Lol at Kenshin being the "designated driver.")
Raberba girl chapter 23 . 1/13/2009
"Kenshin tried to block out the sounds, as they reminded him too much of gunfire." Interesting, I like that.

I was afraid it was going to be Shunme. I'm glad it wasn't! Though I'm also very surprised it's Nakamura. I thought he was a firm ally at least, even if he is a jerk. Nice going!

Ah, I loved The Last Samurai! Culture clashing is one of my favorite story themes. And I loved when Tom Cruise's character was learning Japanese, because then they talked slow enough for me to understand a lot of it.
Raberba girl chapter 22 . 1/13/2009
I love this slowly evolving relationship between Kenshin and Shunme.

“I never laugh at your jokes either.” Haha, I was just thinking that.

Have you read the manga by now, btw? 'Cause it seemed like you had in your emails, but not here in your old review replies.
Raberba girl chapter 20 . 1/13/2009
Lol, I like the way Kenshin sneaked on board and didn't reveal himself 'til it was too late for Shinsaku to kick him off.

You did a really good job describing the battle, and it was a neat idea to have Kenshin making himself useful by re-loading someone's spare rifle.