Reviews for Number Nine
haldirflet chapter 12 . 6/11/2016
What a wonderful tale! Exploring the realms of middle earth with my niece who is now old enough to understand at 12 years is made even more special with your story. Thank you for sharing a stellar adventure with us. P.s. because of your story she passed her spelling quiz when the teacher put a surprise word - doughty! It was burned into her memory because she thought that was an elven last stand. Much thanks.
InkWizard chapter 6 . 4/26/2016
Gah! The star wars reference in chapter 6 with Gandalf was awesome!
Hilda Kenobi chapter 6 . 5/28/2015
Gandalf ,using the force!
That was awesome
Read-Sleep-Routine chapter 12 . 4/27/2014
Very impressive!
Read-Sleep-Routine chapter 9 . 4/27/2014
By angst, I was expecting severe injuries (the scamps seems to attrack them), but can't help but laugh with all the wild chase.
Read-Sleep-Routine chapter 7 . 4/27/2014
Elrond's going to lose his eyebrows, these troublemakers gonna be his death.
Someone Random chapter 6 . 8/31/2011
Very nice wizard-Jedi mind trick.
fantasybookworm08 chapter 8 . 3/19/2009
I know I haven't reviewed on this story yet, but I decided I absolutely must review for this chapter and tell you I LOVED the scene with the orcs. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is awesome! :D
Nanashi-Angel chapter 6 . 1/3/2007
*cackles* Gandalf the Jedi... nice. I guess he COULD be compaired to Yoda...
farflung chapter 12 . 7/8/2006
Apportioning punishment and creativity. Elrond is quite the wise lord at that. But even Homer nodded and Elrond must have been more tired than he knew when the elflings pulled the wool over his eyes. And then the footprints! He was right to slip away and let them laugh. I am sure this sledom happens very often in one age.

A vambrace for that birthmark is a very good idea. Almost the whole of the army of Imladris was out haring around for one elfing, that they knew of. Elves cherish their children but that is a bit too much to do very often.

So Mith changed, Erestor changed, Haldir changed. It is a good story when the characters can move on and learn from the tale.

I do enjoy so much when you give us snippets of Legolas' future and link it to the past. All the fellowship would have suffered silently the same pain. Nice angsty finish.

Thanks for an all is well back at the old homestead chapter.
farflung chapter 11 . 7/8/2006
Glorfindel the balrog slayer to the rescue. He's going to spit that orc and rescue four elflings. Is that right? Four elflings? He must have shaken his head at that one.

Oops. Sudden change of plans. Scratch spitting the orc. Turns out it is a wizard in orcs clothing. Will wonders never cease. No time to pass the time in these days of miracles and wonders.

To flee or not to flee? Given my druthers I am all for fleeing. Better a live dog than a dead lion is my motto. But of course our balrog slayer is all for fighting. Off with their heads is his motto.

I did like the Gimli moment when Mith thought his fireworks had scared the orcs off. I pictured him posturing just like Gimli did in Moria.

Now we have Elrond to the rescue and yes one elfling morphing into four. Fatherly sigh to that one.

So many rescues in one chapter and so many cavalries to the rescue. The orcs never had a chance and they knew it. Better to deal with the devil they know rather than the devil they can plainly see spread out on the plains below them.

Ah the elflings. They have run and now they try to hide. You can't hide forever and elves have very long memories.

Ooh. Fleabitten. I want to start scratching now. If anyone yawns I have to. Just the mention of a spider and I am all shivery. I think I am too empathetic.

As soon as Mith had his wounds cared for 'nomie got better. So sweet.

Thanx for a cavalry chapter.
farflung chapter 10 . 7/8/2006
Glorfindel Holmes here. Give him his pipe and slippers. You're so clever at dropping things in for our amusement. I enjoy them.

I too would be very careful when approaching an elf lord with his war party. And I would give my eye teeth to see that sight.

The progress of this small but doughty warrior. Oh my yes. Snirk. The stage is now set and the pieces are not only moving they are scurrying around like chickens with their heads cut off. Not a very salubrious comparison for elves but for orcs it works very nicely. What a satisfying set up for a nice knock down drag out with orcs.

The good professor really waffled on orcs/elves quite a bit didn't he? Opposite sides of the same coin or not at all related in any way. Since he layed out the hand in so many ways writers can play it out any way they want. Nice of him.

Water into mirovur. No Mith can do many wonders but a few things are just a little beyond his reach. And the reality as Haldir points out after all this discussion is that 'nomie is still out cold. Such a pragmatic elfling.

Yes Elrohir is in a situation all of his own making. Stewed in his own juices. Hoist in his own petard. A cooked goose.

If it were just Mith and 'nomie things would be far easier but Mith has to think of the future of Elrond's bloodline, 'nomie's eventual return to whence he came and of course Haldir will grow up to be too good looking to let anything happen to him. And then on top of all this we have Middle Earth to worry about. Mith has a big job to do. My goodness what a conundrum. What to do, what to do.

They're back. Shiver. Poor crying elfings.

Thanx for an angsty elfling chapter.
farflung chapter 9 . 7/7/2006
One thing you don't want to run into. An orc with somewhat of a brain.

I loved this. All the groups; elves, orcs, elflings plus Mith running, tracking, guessing, flummoxed. So much fun.

Really this is conduct highly unbecoming of dignified elves. Oh sorry. Erestor just popped in for a moment. Of course look what he go up to when he tried to make 'nomie feel better. Got caught by trolls, looked like a brown caterpillar to Glorfindel when he was rescued. Even a very dignified elf can get swayed by big blue eyes.

I really enjoyed all the conjecture about tracking orcs and elves and elflings. So funny. I couldn't find a black cow in a snow covered field. Or my car keys for that matter.

I really love the song by Lee Ann Womack about living on in the lives of our children. At this point 'nomie is the child of so many.

Mith always comes up with a plan. Or at least his scribe Elf Eye lets him come up with them. This particular plan may gain them only a little time but a little time may be all they need.

Thanx for a very run around chapter.
farflung chapter 8 . 7/7/2006
Yep. One thing about your Galadriel, she is on her toes. She seems to take it all in stride as her grandsons and a very vital for the future elf get chivvied all over Middle Earth. To be so sure of the future.

Poor atta Elrond. To be so sure his offspring are out camping with Haldir. They haven't gotten much camping in recently. Lots of good healthy exercise out in the fresh air though. Good for an elfling.

Ah yes. Heads did roll. No matter how many orcs bite the dust Sauron and Saruman seem to have a limitless supply. Pity really.

Angst level rising. Leave the poor elfling. He will find a crevice to squeeze into. As if Mith would even think about doing that. Unless of course he had a "clever plan."

The orc battle was so Pythonesque. Did you see they came out on DVD with the old Monty Python show? I am thinking of maybe this December surprising DH with the set. We have been getting DVDs more and more for gifts. We tend to watch the same things over and over.

Elladan cheerfully admitting "We're not supposed to be here." No kidding. Wouldn't have guessed that one. I see a future filled with arrow fletching and shield polishing for at least two elflings and I don't need no stinkin' mirror to tell me that.

A gaggle of goslings. You still have them so young, naive, inexperienced here. Yes let's tell each other our adventures while we are on the run from who knows how many more orcs. Yes indeedy.

Thanx for another elfling chapter. They never fail to amuse.
farflung chapter 7 . 7/7/2006
Well let's see how long this lasts. My being able to review I mean.

I am going to try to get caught up and then start on your new story. My only problem is that I have a few other writers who have been busy writing while I have been having an extended vacation. At least I wish it had been a vacation.

Yes the number 9 is very important to the LOTR world as a whole but none of the explanations that Mith gave were very convincing were they?

Ah because I say so. I swore to never say this to my kid and I never did, except in jest. It did take a lot of words and reasoning to get my point across because of that though. So 'nomie had to just trust his wizard. He trusted Mith enough to follow him to Mordor again.

I did like the mention of both of them being related to Lady Galadriel. I think of elves as just very curious and farseeing creatures. I am sure a Maia would be also.

Cockroaches and their noses. Ick. They have a show on TLC called Dirty Jobs. I can't even watch the commercials for it. I have a very highly developed gag reflex. It is hard for me to realize I was a nurse for years before I retired. I did gag though when I got away from certain situations. I could only have self control for so long. Hence PJ and his orcs have been a little icky for me. I could make up my own whey I read the books and they weren't that bad but PJ got to have really nasty ones.

Here goes. All the groups going after one naive, golden haired elfling. This should be good.

Elflings and irony and sarcasm. It is easy to see Haldir does not have an Erestor to school him in Lothlorien. Could things get much worse for the trio of elflings? Oh I am sure. The twins are going to get the excitement they wanted. How much will they rue that?

Thanks for a funny elfling chapter.