Reviews for Only the Beginning
Rori77 chapter 15 . 7/1
I read this story some time ago. I confess it was not an easy read. The subject matter is so dark and the atmosphere, especially those first chapters, so oppressive... Please take this as a compliment to your writing skills. This is not the sort of story I would have normally read at this stage of my life, but the writing was so good that it drew me in completely. And to have Kenshin appear later as a ghost, that made the pain endurable, even thought those paragraphs about how he made his death as slow and painful as possible still haunt me.

Speaking of haunting, I appreciate the touches of humour that you included later on, as well as the drawings by his "admirer". I wish I could see those.

Thank you, dear author. I have read the stories you kindly posted here, but this is the first time I've commented on one. I will remedy that. I see you are no longer active on this website, and so maybe you will not read these messages, but that does not matter.
Pinay Tiger chapter 15 . 6/4
At first I had to down a few shots of Vodka to be able to prepare any emotional distress this story may have caused, with a friend referring it to me, and having already a small hint of Kenshin's suicide. But I am glad that I read all of this! I did cry at first when reading the first few chapters-and I take it that many other readers alike had also cried. It was very tragic to even consider the fact that Kenshin could ever take his own life, but I am glad that he came back in ghost form to heal his relationship with Hiko. I loved the way you portrayed Hiko in this story! Such a conceited bastard, HAH!
Mirajane92 chapter 15 . 5/12/2016
I loved this story. And it really needs a sequel
Shinigami Merchant chapter 6 . 10/14/2015
...Doesn't make it better, more entertaining yes...but still heartbreaking
Shinigami Merchant chapter 5 . 10/14/2015
This isn't angst...this is tragedy T-T
Shinigami Merchant chapter 3 . 10/14/2015
The banter between Katsura and Hiko is brilliant, its really interesting to see these two characters interacting as they both had so much influence over Kenshin's life
Shinigami Merchant chapter 2 . 10/14/2015
KENSHIN!
T-T
I didn't see that coming...I thought...I don't no what I thought anymore...
Kenshin...*sniffs and cries for eternity.

Anyway, subtle and beautiful, you're portraying Hiko sama perfectly in my opinion. I really liked the flashback.
Shinigami Merchant chapter 1 . 10/14/2015
Interesting, I like how you opened with Hiko sama's perspective and its surprising but fitting for Katsura san to be the one to deiver the letter
Animercom chapter 15 . 6/21/2015
The whole idea of Kenshin committing suicide is really sad. What will become of all Kenshin's friends in the 11th year of Meiji now? And poor Hiko. This story was beautifully written. Hiko's reaction to Kenshin's death was well written and I enjoyed seeing how Katsura and Hiko interacted with each other. In most circumstances, if the two of them met they would have fought like cats and dogs, but they were kind of close in this story, brought together through grief. I'm glad that you made Kenshin a ghost/spirit so that readers can see how Hiko and Kenshin's relationship is challenged because of Kenshin's poor choice in committing suicide. I never realized until reading your story that Hiko had pushed Kenshin away because Hiko thought that he would die by Kenshin's hands. It really hit me. I understand not having Hiko's adventures within the story (I hope you'll get to a sequel someday!), but I feel the end is a bit abrupt. Perhaps having Kenshin and Hiko starting their adventures with Hiko as a "rurouni" would have been a better ending? Or beginning, I should say. :) Thank you for sticking with this story to the end!
Dola chapter 15 . 3/15/2015
I love it. Please start a sequel. Please...
Palindromes Rock chapter 15 . 3/7/2015
Ha... i put this on my favorites if only because you said non-corporeal. Ha ha ha ha...
Vladimir the Hamster chapter 15 . 12/12/2014
I've seen this fic of yours in so many favorite lists but it took me a months to finally read past the first two chapters because I was just that distraught over Kenshin committing suicide, especially since I've lost 2 of my friends the past year, plus two of my friends' patents, AND three other suicides in my hometown (One of those tiny places where everyone knows each other). Needless to say, death fic is about the last thing I want to read. But I'm glad I did anyway, because Kenshin haunting Hiko forever is simply too delightful. I also love the painting parts! Who would've thought? Even if I kept hoping for some kind of Yu Yu Hakusho situation at the beginning... I really enjoyed this, thanks.
tanithlipsky chapter 15 . 9/13/2014
cool
Icy-Kitty117 chapter 12 . 7/16/2014
BWAHAHAHAHA! an embarresed Hiko? Oh my goodness! I can just picture it! Hilarious!
Elise chapter 15 . 12/10/2013
Dramatic, sad then sweet. Very good story. :)