Reviews for Points of Precedence
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 2/20
I loved the end section.
I prefer the book awakening though.
Anon chapter 1 . 1/19
I liked this bit. I do agree with your assesment of the movie there were big plot holes.
hellseries chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
Interesting take on the politics and the personalities. Aragorn is Aragorn, and incomparable; but I've always had a soft spot for Faramir, who entered the story on his own two feet according to Tolkien, and who knew exactly what to say to Eowyn, that difficult woman.
EugeniaVictoria chapter 1 . 1/11/2012
I loved this... very well-written and in character (movie-verse at least), in my humble opinion. Keep up the good work! :)
Desertfyre chapter 1 . 4/26/2010
I really enjoyed the story!

I loved both Aragorn and Faramir in the movie and would have loved to see more interaction between them. D Especially the house of healing scene, and I haven't offically read that part in the books (almost done with Fellowship as it is) but I know how the scene basically goes from reading so much fanfics.

And somehow I got off topic! Great story! Loved it!
szepilona10 chapter 1 . 4/1/2008
I'm not a big lotr movie fan, even though I saw the movies before I finished the books, but I must admit that I really liked your story!

Szepilona10
StefaniaB chapter 1 . 6/6/2006
Chibi-Kaz, I just discovered your stories here at ffnet and am supremely happy. I am so, so glad to see a good writer fill in movieverse gaps, particularly in the parts of LOTR that you can probably guess are where I was longing for more.

I really, really like what you have done with this story, particularly in the way that you have Faramir recognize Aragorn as King. Though it may not have been your primary intent in this story, your Aragorn is well drawn and definitely invokes Viggo's characterisation for me. Your more realistic approach to life in the Houses of Healing fits in with the little bit that Jackson showed us, while staying true to Tolkien's intent.

Great job. You can bet I'll read more of your stories.

- Stefania
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 4/19/2006
What a shame that we didn't see these scenes in the ROTK movie, or extended edition - the glaring omission makes Aragorn's assumption of power in Gondor to be just another military takeover, devoid of the official Gondorian acceptance that Faramir willingly provided.

I love Pippin's protectiveness of Faramir, and his setting Faramir and Aragorn into seats with tea and pastries as they begin to map out their strategy.

Great ending, too! Holding fast to hope - wonderful and doubly significant.
Deandra chapter 1 . 1/11/2006
Another sadly underreviewed story! This is extremely well done, and one of the few that I've seen where someone like Imrahil, who likely would have met Thorongil, recognizes Aragorn as him.

I agree with Ashti, that even though you were inclined to make this Faramir-centric, it was interesting to unfold him in other people's eyes first.

I am curious why you made Imrahil blond, though. Don't you realize virtually EVERYONE in Middle Earth has dark hair and grey eyes! Even the Rohirrim seem to have blond hair and grey eyes. Never mind that I don't think I've ever met a single person in my entire life with grey eyes! They must all live in Middle Earth! And such a light eye color would be a recessive characteristic. Ah well, I digress.

It did seem a bit odd that no one but Boromir ever questioned Aragorn's claim to the throne (in the movie). Even Denethor really only objected to giving up his rule, regardless of whether Aragorn was the rightful heir or not. But here you have both Imrahil question it and Faramir relies on the ring of Barahir as evidence of Aragorn's claim. It wasn't just Aragorn showing up and saying "Hi, I'm your new king" and everyone saying, "Oh, okay. Whatever..."

Anyway, well done. I hope you think of more gap-fillers to tackle. I still think After the Storm is one of the best stories ever. From only seeing the movie, I had no idea there was a romance between Eowyn and Faramir, and would have thought her incredibly fickle after "loving" Aragorn so much. Only having fan fics open my eyes to the truth did I get a broader picture of things. I'm slowly becoming "book literate" on Tolkien.

- Deandra
Ashti chapter 1 . 10/27/2005
Hm. *ponders* I think it's very well written. And even though it was very Aragorn-centric (not that I mind all that much, I really enjoyed Viggo's portrayal of Aragorn

) when you wanted it to focus on Faramir, I think that, by doing it this way, despite his absence, Faramir was always present.

Well, sort of, in a non-present kind of way, but the point is, by keeping him out until the end, and by showing the other people's feelings for the Lord Steward, I think you've made him more clear.

/mightnotmakesense

I absolutely loved that you put in Prince Imrahil, as P.J. did, indeed, cut way too much for my tastes and I get a kick out of seeing 'unfamiliar' people in fanfic whenever they do appear, so 'squee!' at you. ;)

All in all, I liked it a lot :D

Hahaha, I especially liked the grumpy grandfather making sure that Aragorn got that he was fond and proud of the boy and damnit so should he-Gandalf schtick.

He's ever so adorable like that. _ Thanks for the tale :D
Elemmire2 chapter 1 . 6/20/2005
Nicely done!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 1/20/2005
A very enjoyable story which should have been in the film, I am still fuming at the loss of the H of H scene for Aragorn and Faramir from the EE as I know it was filmed. I Could just imagine something like your story,thank Goodness for fanfic.
Arahiril chapter 1 . 1/8/2005
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, A BAJILLION TIMES OVER INTO INFINITY AND WHATEVER IS BEYOND THAT, THANK YOU! You have absolutely no idea how happy I am that you wrote this. Seriously. It's beyond amazing. I have wanted someone to write this for SO long... Aragorn did NOT heal Faramir in the movie, and all that it showed was him standing there in ceremonial armour. That's IT. And FINALLY, someone (meaning YOU) has written it.

Not only did you throw Imrahil in there, whom I absolutely adore and missed a great deal in the movie, but you also managed to capture all the political aspects of Aragorn taking up the crown. Imrahil said everything that I've ever wanted to shout at the screen in frustration. And Gandalf coming to Faramir's defense... it's about time people recognized the high standing he would have in Gondorian society, never mind the army and the nobility. Too often he is ignored or thrown aside - but you make an excellent point: if he had not accepted Aragorn as King, then there was no way that Aragorn would have been able to assume the Crown. The people of Gondor would never have accepted Aragorn, a stranger, over Faramir, especially considering the lack of the whole "hands of a king/hands of a healer" thing in the movies.

Another excellent point you make: Faramir not being able to ride to the Black Gates. I mean – one minute, he’s half-dead and the next he’s standing up staring at Eowyn… what happened there? I really appreciate the fact that you show that he really WOULD have gone, but SOMEBODY had to be there to keep the home fires burning, so at least you show that he has the wisdom to see the fact that you can’t just take the whole army out of Gondor, leaving Minas Tirith itself vulnerable. Imrahil’s doubts on Aragorn’s plan also show the fact that, even though it was successful, it still was an extremely dangerous plan. And if it HADN’T worked – well, what then?

Also: I really loved how your Imrahil was gathering in reports from all the commanders and such. People tend to forget the day-to-day, little things that have to be done to keep a kingdom going, and this certainly helps to make your fic quite believable, and a cut above the rest. Plus the fact that he reminded Aragorn that he was NOT YET KING, and therefore had no capacity to make decisions regarding the City. The highest he could be was simply a councilor, if even that, and any council he gave would have been off the record. For he and his friends to just stand there in the White Hall is not enough – Gondor was not represented at such a council, and therefore it has no bearing. Plus the fact that Damrod refused to address Aragorn, and gave his report to Imrahil only.

And, just one more quick thing: a highlight was Aragorn complaining to Gandalf about how everyone seems to respect Faramir more than himself. A nice touch – realistically speaking, none of them even knew Aragorn yet, and as Gandalf said, Faramir had worked hard his whole life for Gondor. It was just a nice touch altogether.

And… I’ll get off my soapbox now. But seriously, everything was perfect – characterization, description, but most of all, what you said throughout the whole fic. You brought Faramir of the movies to be more of a Faramir of the books character, and I really appreciate all the little points you threw in there about Faramir and Aragorn, and how people would have viewed them. Overall, you just painted a much more realistic picture than the one that PJ did, and I really adore that.

So thank you. So much.

And sorry for the long rant/review.
Lackwit chapter 1 . 1/6/2005
Excellent job dealing with a major movie plot hole; kudos!

Yes, however much I love the movies, in many ways they are about as much Tolkien as a Hollywood 'based on a true story' docudrama.
shie1dmaidenofrohan chapter 1 . 1/6/2005
Excellent gap-filler. I was also disappointed that Aragorn didn't have any interaction with Faramir in the movie, and I'm glad you put Imrahil back in here. And Pippin was just adorable!

I also love how you wrote Faramir in here...he has the perfect blend of tactician and scholar. It brings him so much closer to the man I loved from the books, while still staying true to the movie version. Nice work!