Reviews for Through a Glass, Darkly
Einherjar chapter 30 . 9/9/2010
You have a lovely story here. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's interesting and I found the characters engaging and three dimensional. I am a big fan of Static Shock and can't believe there's fic like this for it. Thank you for a fantastic read.
loungelizard chapter 30 . 9/3/2010
This story is amazing. I'm looking forward to finishing it :)
E-Meckm chapter 11 . 8/31/2010
That beginning scene with Mr. Hawkins was perfect. You really conveyed his emotions and fears. The comparison/flashback to his wife's death was also amazingly appropriate.

I can barely believe they've been in the alter-verse for less than a day.

I love the dynamic you have between Richie and Virgil - they both want to protect and save and help the other. They both know that the other is counting on them.
E-Meckm chapter 10 . 8/31/2010
Okay, I am loving this story so far - dark versions of the universe we're used to are always interesting.

I just had to comment on the awesomeness that is this chapter. I love that Richie concocted and executed his plan so perfectly. Your characterization of him was amazing, and I love how brave he is - accepting that for his plan to work, he'll need to suffer.

Yay! Backpack's back!

One thing that's been bugging me for a while, though - where's Virgil's dad?
Hell's Jester chapter 30 . 8/5/2010
You are awesome.

I love this fic.

Static Shock was my favorite show when I was younger.

You write everyone so well.

I love your Carmen!

Please keep going!

This wonderful story needs to be told to the end.

I can't wait for the reunion.

3!
just a fan chapter 30 . 8/1/2010
this story is completely epic! Its obvious how much work you've put into this and its absolutely amazng! i cant wait to read the last part
ThistleL chapter 30 . 7/21/2010
Wow... This is a very interesting concept but I can't help but feel really bad for Static. Er. His situation in life and not so much his evil ways. I really liked how you've written Richie and Static's relationship along with Richie and Virgil's. I also really like the interactions between Talon and Deimos. It's very interesting to read about those two.

ANYWAYS, very well written and I hope to read more (or at the very least a reunion scene!) soon. :) I hope you can find the time to write more out, but until then I shall wait patiently to read more of your wonderful story. :)

TL
The New Lost Boy chapter 30 . 7/19/2010
This is great work. You and Cypher make a great team. Now if only he would finish his 7th Heavan fic I would do back flips.
Phlogistics chapter 30 . 6/29/2010
I really want to thank you for writing this fic. Considering its length and quality, you've obviously put an incredible amount of work into it. Static Shock isn't a section I usually spend a lot of time in- I love the cartoon, but it's been years since I've really watched it-, but this fic was just too spectacular to ignore. And, although I do look forward to any updates you make, I know that real life situations can get in the way of fandom, and would like to let you know how grateful I am to you for writing such an amazing fic as this, whether or not it's ever completed.
Jay Man1 chapter 30 . 6/29/2010
Wow, while the time on this story makes me worry a bit I think it is well worth the wait. This story has real character and depth and manages to handle the pairing without all of the extreme angst and dawdling that other stories get caught up in. I will watch for the next chapter.
MonochromousRainbow chapter 30 . 6/28/2010
I am so happy that I found this story. I cannot even BEGIN to describe how much I love it. It flows beautifully, you have a solid plot, all of the characters are fully defined, you have an amazing word-choice, and everything is just so... good.

In the third chapter, you said that the whole alternate dimension thing was "cliché," but I don't think that it's possible to describe this story as cliché. It's imaginative, funny, dark, scary, intriguing, haunting, amazing... The list goes on. I'm blown away by how much I love this story.

The plot is great. You've guided us through gently, and it's not all cliche and easy to guess and obvious. There are parts that had me guessing (usually wrong) and parts that have me just avoiding guessing altogether because I just know that I'm going to be wrong because you're not going to be painfully obvious about something.

I think that my favourite parts are the flashbacks to when this world's Richie was being held by Evil!Static. Oh my God. All of that emotion and darkness and intensity just blew me away. The details were amazing, and the dark undertone that the story has just seemed to center around this small section/ark/bit of the story. It's strange that what I found to be the darkest bit of the story is also my favourite part, but it was written so beautifully that I just fell in love with it. I think it's because it made me empathize with Evil!Static a bit. Not that I've ever accidentally electrocuted my best friend to death, but it showed him in a much more human light. The Richie of this alternate dimension brought out a lot more of a human side in him, and I think he's scarier because I've seen him humanized a bit; because I saw him scared and regretful and not purposely killing his best friend because he just felt like it like I thought before I read that chunk. In the AN chapter 16, you said that you wanted to do it in a mature and respectful manner, and I think you did. Totally and completely. It was so painful to read. All of the details were so vivid, and it almost hurt to see Static's reaction to the entire thing. But I think it was entirely mature and respectful.

I love how you wrote Evil!Static. A lot of people forget that someone can be off their rocker and appear pretty damn normal. Evil!Static is that for me. Most of the time when I'm reading him, I only get that he's some sick bastard, but then sometimes when his guard is down, when he's with someone he trusts or alone or we're reading from his point of view, I'm reminded that something is just a bit... off about him. And I love it. It's dark and scary and creepy and makes me sad and angry. It makes me wonder what he really is thinking at all times. I'll think one thing and something else will happen. Sometimes he'll react rationally, sometimes he won't. Sometimes I can empathize, sometimes I can't. It's a mindfuck, and it's done amazingly. Oh, and that reminds me: how often does Evil!Static recognize that the two Richie’s are two different people? Sometimes it seems like he knows that this one is all new, sometimes it seems like he’s acting like Richie was just hiding away for a while and made up this crazy scheme to get back into Evil!Static’s life. It seems almost like he’s slipping; at the start of the story it was much more like, “Oh, a new Richie!” and now it’s more often a, “Welcome back!” Was that done intentionally? Is Evil!Static getting more stressed by everything which is making him go a bit more insane, is this normal for him, or should I stop reading late at night because it makes me see things?

The POV switching is something that can get annoying really easily if the author is even slightly careless about it. But you did it really well. The wording changes a bit with each character, and it feels more like each character is almost telling the story rather than an all-knowing being just laying it all out for us.

I’m so happy that the JL not helping was finally explained. I was a little miffed at first that they were just dismissed, like, “Oh, they just decided not to help.” It was a good explanation. One of my first questions when I began to read this story (somewhere along the lines of chapter 4, me thinks) was, “Why wasn’t the JL helping?” You answered it wonderfully, much better than I could’ve ever expected. Everything always just ties up beautifully.

You and Cypher are an AMAZING team. I can’t tell which one wrote which scene. You two have combined your writing style seamlessly, it’s astounding.

I feel like this review doesn’t do the story justice AT ALL. It’s just such an amazing story.

Also, sorry if there are spelling or grammatical errors or bits that just make no sense at all. I stayed up until three in the morning to finish this story. It is SO GOOD. Can’t wait for another update!
Scribblebun chapter 30 . 6/26/2010
Tragic, dark, and full of suspense. Totally worth the read!
RowWithAChipNPin chapter 30 . 6/14/2010
A story five years in the making. Holy shit. Either you're seriously crazy to stay committed for that long, or just very determined. Or possibly both.

Either way, this story is amazing. Like, freaky amazing. Better than quite a few books I've read. And I've read A LOT.

I'm really looking forwards to the final chapter, and I hope that it'll be posted soon.
Sarah chapter 30 . 6/13/2010
Please I'm begging you finish this stoy. I LOVE IT! but your crushing me here. I've already reviewed this chapter and I always thought reviewing twice is a against some basic code for the same chapter (but you haven't put the next one up) It's especially against the rules since I'm not leaving insightful comments but pleadings. I had too though, I had too plead with you to finish. PLEASE... I'm on bended knee. Please don't forget this story. I think the story is just as good as you intended it to be so please finish it. even if your unsatisfied I'm sure we'll all love it anyway. please .
Fraxinus Dipetala chapter 30 . 6/12/2010
When will this be finished?

I did not consider Static and Gear to be a good pairing at all before...

But this is probably one of the most singularly spectacular fanfictions on this site.

Despite my friends' admonishments (about childhood favorites being "ruined"), I absolutely love this story.
1,066 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 .. Last Next »