Reviews for Looking Glass
Trees of leaves chapter 1 . 8/26/2011
I get confused every time I read this, but it's a good confused. I love how you can write the POVs so well, and your plot, too. It's beautiful.
beanstalk1019 chapter 1 . 10/13/2007
Okay, I had to read this over several times and also go to look at past reviews to try and figure out the POV's. What I got was that the first part was Echizen as the person and Fuji as the voice. The second part was Echizen as the person and Tezuka as the voice although Echizen thought it was still Fuji.

I'm guessing Echizen didn't really want to believe what happened so he deluded himself into thinking Tezuka was alive and Fuji was dead. That way he could blame Tezuka for shielding himself and not Fuji. So my hypothesis would be that Echizen is hearing a figment of his imagination for the first part and is actually hearing Tezuka's voice in the second part without realizing it.

It could be that Fuji was actually the figment in the first part because his spirit left his body while unconscious or something too though.

I have to believe the first part is Fuji because it talked about his usual gentle smile and his love of teasing and that is definitely not Tezuka. Plus he was mad at the third person in that situation for being the cause and that would only make sense if Tezuka was the one being blamed for shielding Echizen and not Fuji. Otherwise it would have been either Tezuka's and Echizen's fault for the death and not the third person's at all.

Because you said the voice was deeper in the second part, I think the voice changed from Tezuka to Fuji. And you also said the voice was weaker which would make sense if you used the context of Fuji's voice coming from his being unconscious or a figment of imagination and Tezuka's coming from his being a real ghost.

Oishi's part was hard to fit in, but I figured that you added on the part about him caring about 'everyone' on the team because it was Fuji who Echizen thought had died. Everyone knew that Oishi and Tezuka were good friends, but the relationship between him and Fuji would have been more subtle. There would have been no reason to put on the last part unless you were trying to confuse the reader about who died while also making it technically correct.

I'm not sure about one line in the first part. 'You never saw me when I was still..'. In every other line you can interpret it as Fuji's voice speaking (I'm not going to try to pin down if it really was Fuji or just Echizen's imagination), but knowing that Echizen is wrong and that Fuji is still alive. In that line, it sounds like the Fuji's voice that is speaking is saying that itself is dead.

Okay, now on to trying to understand the relationships. I know for a fact that Echizen loved Fuji, but never told him so because if you're assuming the first voice to speak is Fuji's, Echizen basically says that. I know that Echizen loved Tezuka because he admits that to Fuji in the last part. He was also confused about how Tezuka felt because of Fuji having to point out who it was he shielded. The things I can't figure out are how Fuji felt about any of it and how Ryoma thought Fuji felt about it.

I get the feeling that Oishi had no clue that Echizen was lying to himself about who died.

I do think this should have been a bit clearer on explaining the POV's at the end. I don't begrudge you your confusion at the beginning, but at least make a note or put something in at the end so that people like me don't have to obsess over it. It wasn't impossible to figure out though. I think I've got most of it, but maybe not all. It took me awhile because I was stuck on the idea that both voices had to be the same person, but I think they were different.

I really do think this piece is really good and you did the double talk well. Making it seem like someone else was speaking and being spoken to,but also making the pieces fit when the reader realized the truth of it too. That's not an easy job. I hate it when people don't do it right because then everything doesn't ever fit quite right and you can't be satisfied with the story. I'd appreciate it if you could tell me about the relationships.

Happy Writing.
Echo547 chapter 1 . 8/10/2007
It's really beautiful... I love how deluded everything seems at the beginning. No names were mentioned, just actions. It sort of leads everyone astray at one point or another. And the ending was a twist. Always a plus. Very sweet too towards the end.

- I love it.
The Blue Penguin chapter 1 . 7/6/2007
I had a hard time figuring out who was speaking at first and what happened. But the ending cleared it up for me somehow. This was very well-written! The mood was very dark, mysterious and a bit angsty, but everything fitted perfectly. It was a sad but beautiful piece. I enjoyed reading this, though it killed some of my brain cells because I did not comprehend it completely at first (or maybe because I was reding this while my professor was discussing.. ack!)

Great job!

-blupenguin-
animefav chapter 1 . 6/28/2007
this is utterly amazing. i am moved to tears literally. easily one of the best one shots/prince of tennis fics/death fics i have read. though there is some confusion over who the patient and the voice are (thought was tezuka and fuji respectively at first) but all was cleared up in the end. still, it is a beautiful piece and i look forward to more of your stories.
Trumpet-Geek chapter 1 . 5/13/2007
Oh god... This is so beautiful. I love how you make it a bit confusing in the beginning.. I wasn't sure who was dead at first.. *is overwhelmed with emotions*
Tuli-Susi chapter 1 . 4/23/2007
okay, just like you sugessted, i read this fic and it is beautiful and dark and thoughtful. i really loved it, but i'm still a little confused...So in the end, Tezuka died, but at first it sounded like it was Fuji who died and was speaking to Tezuka and i'm reall confused as to where Echizen was in this because he was the only coherent one of the three...wasn't he? i can't really imagine either Tezuka or Echizen being the 'voice' in the first part...ARGH! major confusion! could you tell me who was who...i just really need to know...cos i guess Fuji could have been the voice if he was unconscious, but i can't see that person in the first pasrt being Echizen... ARGH! o_O

i'm gonna shut up now...
speadee chapter 1 . 4/15/2007
This was pretty emotional, almost driving me to tears. I like how you described the death, like a spirit talking. What was the accident those 3 had? Was it a car accident?
Lauren chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
this was really good...like...it gave me goose bumps, made me shiver...it was just a GREAT piece of work...my only complaint is that I didn't always get who was talking, or the figment...but that's probably my own, sheer stupidity...and now I really wish I understood it better because I'm dense, but I know this was wonderful. If you have the time, could you maybe, I dunno, email me and tell me a little more about? It'd be appricaited. I'm telling ALL my friends about this...their probably a little smarter than me. ANYWAY, enough of my rambling. I'm your new fan!

Much love,

Lauren
aryatai chapter 1 . 9/5/2005
What can I say? Wonderful isn't wonderful enough. Awesome isn't awesome enough. Heart-breaking isn't heart-breaking enough. What can I say? I love it.
dhrachth chapter 1 . 1/27/2005
Very confusing. Beyond the POV issues, there wasn't any 'voice' in this-meaning all the characters sounded exactly the same.
Akira Nimura chapter 1 . 1/20/2005
TRES BIEN! bravo...sad...but yet..good..buchou died...saving Echizen...::sighs:: such good love...good one-shot!
ruji chapter 1 . 1/20/2005
it IS indeed here! oh man... i can't believe i missed it. but anyhow i'm glad i read it, here or anywhere else. like i've said, it's a wonderful fic, and i won't mind saying that again. and like i've said, it'd be in my fave list. most definitely. keep writing ne!
firedraygon chapter 1 . 1/12/2005
A very touching story. *sniffle* Poor Tezuka died though. I wish the OT3 could've been together in the end.

Please write more soon. I'll probably be rereading this again so that I can figure out exactly what's happening. XP

~firedraygon97
DnKS-giRLs chapter 1 . 1/11/2005
*snort* it's so sad...

but... but we think *sob* it's such a good job. Well *snort again* keep it up, ne... now excuse us for a moment... does anyone have any tissue... *tears*