Reviews for The Mirror
AlbaMerula chapter 1 . 1/8/2012
Absolutely Kay's, absolutely yours, absolutely Erik.

I usually go for a Phantom that I like, regardless of how close or how far it is from the original, and which original it is. I only want it to be likeable, and real enough, a good story, and the sort.

With this story, apart from all what's mentioned above, I am absoluetly amazed at the perfection of the scene and the sentences, their seamless fit between the quotes. I read and I feel: yes, that's one of his peculiar twists in his thinking (like the curiosity, and "I could not bear to hear her beautiful voice produce such a hateful voice") - yes, that's exactly the kind of dark self irony he uses ("To scream at the sight of one's own visage would be to engage in needless melodramatics."). Yes, that's exactly Erik, from the novel Phantom.

Thank you for writing it.
Mira-Jade chapter 1 . 4/26/2006
OK, I know rthat this review is late, but I enjoyed this story so much that I just had to review, and grsb a box of tissues . . .

Lonely Loony chapter 1 . 8/18/2005
I love you *_* I love this phanfic *_* I'm gonna read all your fics *_* OMG... You are Susan Kay...

This fics was so... I dunno... Makes me wanna cry... It's just beautiful! You say everything in only few words! And what words...
Froek1881 chapter 1 . 4/5/2005
I don't understand why this story has so few reviews, as I think it's very good. Poor Erik.

Favourite lines:

*The ungraceful sound echoes through my brain, and I shut my eyes against it. It is too painful, far too painful. This is why I cannot have her.

*Later, I will care where the shards land. Right now, I do not.

And many more. Please write more stories like this!
BelleMarie chapter 1 . 3/19/2005
I LOVE this piece! You really catch Kay's style and Erik's personality so well here, right down to his twisted sense of humor ("I can hardly imagine that this is a face that could improve with age.")! What torture, after all these years, to still be horrified by his own face... to be able to justify others' revulsion to it! Truly, your story is an exquisite representation of Erik's pain!
thalia chapter 1 . 2/16/2005
I can't believe that I've never noticed this story before! It's excellent.

First of all, you capture the voice of Kay's Erik perfectly. Then you successfully built up the story step by step: the scared anticipation, the unhappy memories, the realization, the rage, the final resolution - which will be broken eventually.

I also love the observations you make! My three favorites:

- To scream at the sight of one’s own visage would be to engage in needless melodramatics. I know this, and so I do not do it. And I do not need to, for as soon as my eyes rest upon the death’s-head before me, my head fills with echoes of screams from the past.

- I try to imagine how Christine will sound when she screams at her first sight of my face.

- How can I, who have never been able to look upon my own face without feeling revulsion, ever expect anyone to react differently?

This short story really is a great addition to Kay's novel.
PrincessSaraSolo chapter 1 . 2/15/2005
I don't remember if I reviewed this before, but I read it awhile back when you posted it on Phandom, and I think I reviewed there. I thought it was amazing and tragic and I loved it. But I hadn't read Kay's book yet, and now I have. And so I read this again.

And broke my heart.

I had promised myself that I was getting away from the tragic quality of the story, that I wasn't going to feel this overwhelming pity for Erik, that I would accept that he is simply a made up character. But this brought it all back, and I just have to tell you how amazing this is.
Moon Avenger chapter 1 . 2/15/2005
Oh, that's so sad. Poor Erik.
Rosemary chapter 1 . 2/2/2005
Yup, love this one, too. You add to Kay's work in ways most lovely and unexpected.
ElfLover chapter 1 . 1/29/2005
Beautiful. Abso-flipping-lutely beautiful. I especially love how you managed to get that much amazing writing out of one paragraph of Kay's. All this fantastic imagery, this great scene, from three sentences...I wish I had that talent.

With much admiration,

Doomed Delight chapter 1 . 1/25/2005
This is rather nice I like it.
stitchgrl chapter 1 . 1/20/2005
Wonderfully written - I like how Erik is extremely in character with Kay's, and I love how he's drugged. Drugged Erik is delicious. I hope you write MORE soon! I'll be checking up in it!
convoitez chapter 1 . 1/16/2005
Wonderfully written. I adore your Erik and the way you choose your words is just lovely.
Inion Lugh chapter 1 . 1/16/2005
Oh. My. God. That was probably the best written Phantom fic ever. Just...oh. I was in tears, I thought I was truly reading Kay again, and now I absolutely have to read Kay again. You are a magnificent author. Keep up the good work.
The Scorpion chapter 1 . 1/16/2005
That was a lovely probing into Kay's book! Very well done! Just as I would have pictured it happening if she had gone more in depth than that single sentence of hers.

Poor, poor, poor, unhappy Erik!