Reviews for A Pocket of Quiet
Semjaza chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
I really enjoyed reading this (and the title makes perfect sense). I didn't have any trouble following your writing; it's coherent even with a difficult subject, and flows nicely. I think I read this before you added the extensive notes to it; I don't think that they were really necessary, but they did add a bit more depth to the underlying events of this fic. It's nice to see something different in the HP fandom. Great work! This story is one of my faves. :D
VestriVerum chapter 1 . 2/19/2010
I enjoyed this story. Fascinating work.

~V.
HogwartsHussy chapter 1 . 10/9/2008
I'm sorry that your writing was unfortunately underappieciated on this site. I find that most of the viewers want romance, read more about Harry and co or the next gen and their tastes overall run to pretty boys kissing.

For what it is worth, Iā€™m fascinated at your views on these characters and how they conducted a war in a magical world.
AMB chapter 1 . 6/24/2007
I like your story - very well written.
Na chapter 1 . 2/27/2005
you've captured something akin to what I believe the Severus/Remus relationship to be. There's something about their interactions together that hints at something more complex between them tham the hate that exists between Black and Potter and Snape. This story (and your other work) does a good job of exploring that.

I agree that the ending is confusing, but I liked it that way. I don't know. Feeling you have to explain means you might want to work on it. i liked it simply because it hints at something between the characters that we can't just glance at and understand.

excellent work, and keep writing
unlikely2 chapter 1 . 2/20/2005
Rather dark for the G rating, but well written.

I have recommended it here: ?s&postid1238550#post1238550
Kelenariel Khelekkir chapter 1 . 2/18/2005
Oh my God. Excuse me while I go jump up and down in exultation.

Okay, I'm back.

I have been trying to find a good effect-of-the-war-on-Severus story for nearly a year, and I've just found it right here. I love your writing style. It's not meticulous and boring, but it's not all cute and hyper either. It's just perfect. The best psychology-based stories are usually the ones that let the reader realize for themselves just what you're talking about, like this one. For example: "When he eventually returned to work he started marking essays with green ink instead of red, and nobody in the quarters next to his ā€“ Flitwick, and Minerva McGonagall ā€“ commented on the screaming at night." I love this line. You don't just say, "Prison affected Snape a lot in a bad way." You explain how without saying "This is how it affected him." I can see the green ink against the parchment in my mind very clearly.

I myself have been planning a psychological-effect-war-has-on-people story to succeed the story I'm wrting now, and I have to say you've given me a lot of inspiration to continue that.

Thank you for existing. -Kelenariel Khelekkir
Rachel chapter 1 . 1/20/2005
I am really delighted to see that you have added two new stories ~ I love all your earlier work and am fascinated by your Remus and Severus relationship of equalibrium-in-enmity. (Although the enmity seems to be pretty much entirely on Severus' side - intentionally, I trust. It seems to fit their characters that Remus should manage to be concerned about him). I note that your previous reviewers were a little lost, and I will say that I, too, needed the author's note to understand the closing dialogue. However, I look forward to your author's notes as much as to the stories, and I thought your comments there were perceptive and correct, especially about Remus' reticence to spell such things out. You pointed out that these men have never been friends, and that Severus' quietness and mercy with Remus this time through were based more on exhaustion and fatalism than charity. It feels right when you say it, but while reading the story itself, Severus seemed closer to feeling friendship for Remus than in any of your other stories, including 'Tide.' In 'Tide' he found peace in throwing around old habitual insults and acting out his contempt ~ and, only later, through tea :) Here there was none of the preparatory sniping, and the coat incident was almost tender on both sides (without falling out of character, which merits congratulations!) Is Severus just more tired at this point, or was there something about the privacy and innate personal closeness of these interviews that set them apart from later interactions at Hogwarts? To throw in two small suggestions here at the end: In the opening scene it was not clear to me on my initial reading that Severus' "Oh" was in response to having read the name on the scrap of parchment ~ I think it is a nice reaction, a neat moment of being caught off stride, which is why I think it would be worthwhile to mention in the original description of the materials that the scrap of parchment has a name scrolled across it. That scrap of additional description would help me understand the scene as it unfolds. Also, I believe you used one "an" where "a" was appropriate, but I'm afraid I can't remember the exact context. Hope these little suggestions are helpful ~ the overall story was masterful as always. Thanks again for writing, and good luck with all the other things you're working on!
Weetzie chapter 1 . 1/17/2005
I have to agree with the reviewer above, this fiction is very involved and the reader needs to know some information to make sense of the situation. I really clung on to the beginning with Evan; the characters and relationships were really well put, it's an excellent hook. It just fits, whereas Lupin and Snape's strange relationship puzzles me a bit. Lupin seems all to accepting of what's going on or something. I'm not sure. Anyway, nice job. It's good to see a fic with thought put into it for a change. :)
duj chapter 1 . 1/15/2005
a fic needs to work without explanations tacked on. People's incomprehension is a sign you haven't communicated clearly enough. The proper response is to review the fic and see what's missing, just the barest sliver of extra information to show your intention. Here you could have done this quite simply by adding 5 extra words, "If it had been you..." immediately after Lupin's thought, "...someone who could simply be arrested..."