Reviews for Moving Apart
The Winterwitch chapter 1 . 11/22/2013
Another straight favourite and another truly brilliant story. I am still struggling with making sense of the different canon sources regarding this era, and your story brings it so well together. Your characterisations are excellent and make the figures real and come alive, and understandable in all their shades of grey. Another wonderful gift for the fandom, thank you so much.
Elrond's Scribe chapter 1 . 9/28/2013
Oh my Lord. . . I love the Sindar, really I do. But sometimes I just want to lay them all over my knee and spank some sense into them. I mean it! Does Oropher seriously have no greater concerns at this point than to hurl insults at a kinsman and potential ally just because Celeborn isn't as racist, arrogant, and pigheaded as he is? Because we all know that all evil is Noldorin and all Noldor are evil, don't we?

Or is it because Celeborn married Galadriel who is only one fourth Noldorin and half Telerin? Is it any of Oropher's business who Celeborn marries? Huh? Is Celeborn his child? Is Amdir for that matter?

Honestly, Celeborn and Oropher remind me of two spoiled five year olds fighting over a toy. I mean no disrespect to them, but they do. Seriously, this is such petty stuff to move an entire kingdom over. Grow up and act like you actually have what it takes to rule a realm, you guys. And no, that does not include making sworn enemies of people because of stuff that happened hundreds of years ago or because of race.

And as for Nimrodel - screw you for the way you behave toward Amroth! If I were to fall in love with a white man, especially a white Southerner descended from a plantation owner (and as a black woman myself I can say this), I vow that I will NEVER cause him that kind of grief, so help me Lord Jesus!

Well, it's only fair to say that the only way I could get so riled at these people is because they were so well portrayed and so well written. Thanks for infuriating me, Marnie. Take it as a compliment. I mean it. Not everyone can feel out characters like thiis the way you do. I can only hope to come close to your superb skills.

The Scribe
Freyalyn chapter 1 . 8/21/2013
Excellent explication, and an interesting discussion of elvish politics.
titpuce86 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Truly this is one of the best fics I've read about these characters!

I love how you describe their interactions. It's quite lifelike and so completely credible from what we know about them. This text exposed very well the dilemna of the Sindar, dispersed willy-nilly among the different realms of the second and third ages and nowhere really at home as they were in Doriath. And how much it must smart them to have to ally themselves with those who had murdered them and theirs in Beleriand, be they Dwarves or Noldor.

You even managed to solve this annoying problem of Amroth heredity!

I loved this text! You really did great with it.
Lindale chapter 1 . 12/29/2007
good
Tinni chapter 1 . 9/16/2006
I hadn't read this story before. It is very good and I can just see this happening.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/28/2005
Vividly written, moving and fascinating. Well done, the tension and emotion really comes across here. Neglected LotR history brought to life.
Vi Janaway chapter 1 . 2/26/2005
wow...you really did a good job with this.

more and more I am starting to like earlier LOTR fanfic. your characterizations are really well done.
Malinorn chapter 1 . 2/26/2005
Marnie, I enjoyed this tale immensely. It fills in some of the gaps in a way that feels real, that makes a lot of sense, that makes one think that this is how it must have happened. Nimrodel was an added bonus for me, and I'm very fond of the beautiful melancholy this story is full of. Thanks!
Thundera Tiger chapter 1 . 1/24/2005
Yay me! I made it over to review! Hooray!

What an absolutely fascinating piece of fiction. Amdir has become my new favorite character. I love the balancing act he performs between two...well, I wouldn't exactly call them extremes as I don't like the connotation that gives, but they're definitely viewpoints at opposite ends of the spectrum. He's the perfect POV for this piece, because he seems to fall in the middle of what Celeborn and Oropher are arguing. And because of this, readers can see how Celeborn and Oropher are both right and wrong.

As for Celeborn and Oropher...wow. You're right. Oropher has almost a poetic connection to the past. I found his arguments on culture as the heart of a people to be particularly persuasive. By contrast, Celeborn's focus is more for the here and now, which makes sense considering what has just happened. And their discussion was so...frank. Wonderfully candid. Sharp and biting. I loved every minute of it. And I loved the additions of Amroth and Thranduil, who are clearly shrewd in their own right but are willingly taking a backseat to their fathers.

But I think what I like best about this fic is how you brought it all full circle. Before he leaves, Oropher mentions that they did not need to be parted and that they could see one another again. And then Celeborn asserts that the Sindar would still be there when the Noldor were all gone. They're all themes within the same song, but they're going about different ways to express them. I loved it! Superb job with incredibly difficult characters. As always, I humbly bow to your greatness. All things elven are safe in your capable hands.
Ellfine chapter 1 . 1/20/2005
Excellent! Excellent! What a great story!

I just read your post at HASA about the history of the elves being slanted from the view point of the Noldor and the Noldorization of some of the Sindar, and I recognized many elements (okay facts) from this story in your rant. You go girl! Can't wait to read your next fic.
Elvenson chapter 1 . 1/18/2005
Beautiful story filled with beautiful scenery and the dialouge was absolutely amazing. Never could I have imagined the inner turmoil of the sindar in such a way, it answers well the uncertainty when one's land is lost and the question of culture comes hardest to the mind. "We will out last them all..." favorite line in all of it, it really sums up the truth of the story of the elves in middle-earth.
Inglor chapter 1 . 1/18/2005
How does she do it? Takes two little known characters, who the Prof himself couldn't make up his mind about, and changes my view of canon. Makes everything so plausible, answers little niggling questions, ties up all the loose ends.

Again Marnie delivers the goods, who has overtaken Finch as my favorite writer.

Inglor
Jazmin3 Firewing chapter 1 . 1/18/2005
Ack. Cool story, I like how you portrayed the tensions between the sindar and Silvan and Noldor. But that premonition the Amdir had, that was *freaky*. But still a very cool story. Very nice. Please update Unforsaken soon!
trilobyte chapter 1 . 1/17/2005
Great job of disentangling the mess of stories surrounding the fall of Eregion. I like your approach; work in all of 'em! The human element of families pulled apart by war and its aftermath was very touchingly handled as well. It's great to see you handle the extreme of Silvan jingoism as well as that of Noldorin! People are people at their worst as well as at their best. However, even without prejudice, I could believe that Celeborn and Galadriel would be a problem for most rulers; they're so powerful that they can't help meddling. Need more time to work on my story, but work this year has been rough.