Reviews for Just Being Alive
Scorpio21 chapter 17 . 6/25/2010
I know this is five years late, and perhaps you won't even read this or care. But I wanted to say how beautiful I found this tale, how subtly powerful you made the trio's relationship. I always think it a very gifted author who can write a tale that makes you look outside the basic descriptions, to read beyond the simple meanings to what you're truly trying to convey. You've done that wonderfully, and I thank you for the gift.

I was so glad that the trio reunited in their afterlife's, and I thought you're message with the rainbow was astounding. That there was no end for the firstborn, and that Elrohir only understood that once he died...again it was beautiful in its' meaning.

What I loved most was the light glowing from their hearts in the afterlife, which undoubtedly meant - according to your burial ritual and Glorfindel's accounts - that their hearts were their greatest attribute, and it was that seed which would grow from their bodies. And I may be wrong in this, but I took the strands of light intertwining between the three as a sign that not only was it their heart's that were their greatest attributes, but their love for each other that made it so. Forever connected by what they shared, and it was absolutely breathtaking to read.

So congrats, bravo, job well done. You deserve so many more reviews for this peace of art, which is why I'm commenting now, even five years later. Once again, thank you for this work.
vampgirl1717 chapter 17 . 2/17/2007
So far of what I've read pf your stories, not just the Lord of the Rings one, they are truly excellent, in this story especially I am glad to see that you paired both the twin with Legolas, to me it has always seemed as if it would be quite awkward to do it any other way between them. Also, I saw that you had a question about when Anduril was reforged? IN the books, it was reforged just before the Fellowship left Imaldirs to destroy the Ring, however Strider did show the broken blade to the Hobbits before they left The Prancing Pony, as proof of his identity, along with a short verse from one of, now don't quote me on this one, either Lord Elrond, or Lady Galadriel's prophetic visions.

In the movie, Lord Elrond came to Aragorn while the Rohirrim were camped by the Road to the Dimholt, to give his foster son the sword. in movie verse, up until that point Aragorn had used his other sword, I think that weapon was also of elvis make, but had no magic bound to the steel, it was simply an excellent sword.

Okay, I've probably rambled for quite a bit now so I'll get on with it. Sorry if I sound too much like a know it all, but I adore the Lord of the Rings and always have, I hope this information could prove useful to you.

Keep up the great work, I hope to be reading more of your work soon.

- V -
Jadira chapter 17 . 7/25/2005
I really liked this story as well, but the ending was rather confusing. Did they all die? Or were they all reborn? Well, whatever happened, I loved all the angstyness of the fic.

~Jadira
Igrainne chapter 17 . 5/6/2005
Hi...This is Ravna btw. I got an account so I could comment to my hearts delight!

But regarding your idaes of Legolas of Gondolins memories being witheld like that, intriques me!

I always found it strange that Tolkien is strict when it comes to name being so highly personal and still, never the same, that Legolas of LotR and Legolas of Gondolin was two different elves. I think perhaps from now on, Ill present your ideas...yes, I do think I will...*wink

To the chapter itself...the rainbow, and how you concluded the awaken elves confusion by "there is no end for the firstborns" was short of spectacular! You seem to have a certain concept of Tolkiens world that is too rarely seen in this fandom, and it delights me that Ive found one!

I have put you on my alert list, so should you decide to put up more spectacular stories I will be notified(I love this, I feel almost giddy)!

Oh, though it may be presumptious of me, should you like in the future to have someone to bounce your ideas on, and perhaps explore some indepht canon plot, feel free to look me up! I would love to be of assistance...:)
shauna chapter 17 . 5/6/2005
i am deeply confused. what happened at the end? plz e-mail me so i may understand. though i love the story, i just don't understand the end.
ariadne chapter 16 . 4/29/2005
I love this story...I have boohooed my eyes out reading it...you write beautifully and I am looking forward with a passion to more of your stories...
Ravna chapter 16 . 4/26/2005
I wouldnt go so far as to say I hate you for killing Legolas early on. But I do wonder where it is you are going with this fic. Are they dead for good? Are they coming back? What is your intentions with this fic?

That said, I would like to read more about how they came to be together.

Over to something entirely different, your AN in chapter 15 to be precise. True Glorfindel was the Lord of the House of Flower in Gondolin(If you read history of Middle-Earth, though I dont remember the exact passage, Tolkien strongly hints to the possibility of Glorfinfdel of Imladris being Glorfindel of Gondolin reborn)and of higher stature the Legolas, but as for Glorfindel having a lesser stature in his "second" life...I dont agree. First off, as Lord of his own house in Gondolin, Glorfindel was still a subject to Turgons rule. Sworned into the kings service, it should seem natural that he would continue to protect and serve the Kings line. Remember that an elf is not just re-born, but rather his(or hers) fea released into a new hroa(an exact copy) to continue its life. Therefor, presuming that Glorfindel is one and the same(natural also since an elfs name is something personal to that elf only, and rarely, if ever is one named given to individuals, which again raises the question if Legolas of Gondolin in actuality is Legolas og Tan-nu-faur, alas we shall never know...) he is simply continuing where he left off.

In your story you present Legolas as being the late Legolas of Gondolin, it should therefore follow that he retains all his memories from his "first" life, and yet in your story Legolas himself seems to be ignorant of this fact. Furthermore, Tolkien himself(altough known to have stated that a reborn elf is born into infancy aswell as reborn to his/or hers stature at the moment og death did remain steady on the following. An elf reborn to infancy would be reborn to the same parents, unless of course the parents were "dead" aswll.

This is by no means a critique of your fiction, but rather musings on my account as to your thoughts behind the plot! I admit I anm an avid fan of Legolas/Elladan/Elrohir pairings, and as such pairings go...yours is a great one. It is an exciting read, and you manage to captivate my interest from the start. Good grammar, and a nice flow in your writing...I would love to continue reading your works, presuming you continue writing.

I think I have wasted enoug of your time, presuming you actually read this, so again...excellent work...:)

Ravna
Blaise chapter 16 . 4/25/2005
Just responding to your request for feedback. No, I have not abandoned your story because of Legolas' early demise...I promised way back in the beginning I would read faithfully whether you killed off my favorite elf or not. I am glad I did. I was alittle bogged down with those first few chapters after his death but I thoroughly enjoyed the intertwining storyline of how E/E/L first met and became involved. I also found the development of E/E and Thranduil's relationship brought about by their shared remembrances of Legolas very satisfying. I believe you have done a wonderful job!
ariadne52 chapter 11 . 4/2/2005
Wow! This story has really grabbed me...I love your writing style...please update faster! Everything i have read of yours is great!
The Drinking Game chapter 1 . 3/28/2005
I like it so far. I don't think I've read anything along these lines before. I want to nitpick at one problem with the grammar, if you don't mind. If you do, just skip over this part. When you end a quote, you use a comma instead of a period, and unless it is a proper noun, the word after the quotation mark is lower-case. Example: Minastir," the

Well, I can't wait to get to the next chapter, so I'll end the review here. Good job!

TDG
Veritas and Aequitas chapter 8 . 3/11/2005
Sweet as story. Love the brutality. So glad it never wimped out.
Trunk-kun chapter 7 . 3/5/2005
ho...what happends next?
ariadne52 chapter 7 . 2/26/2005
Please, please please update! This story has grabbed my heart...plese update soon!
Pellawethiel chapter 6 . 2/11/2005
He's dead? For real? That's depressing...

I like the character development seen in the case of Elladan and Elrohir. They don't get enough attention in many cases. I find that the death of a character often brings out sides of the remaining characters that we never get to see. It's that idea of you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. It's a lot of fun looking at the workings of some of the characters' minds.

Nice work!
NinthRing chapter 6 . 2/10/2005
Man youve got me close to tears! Man your a genius(I have not the foggiest how to spell that!). The fact the you know exactly where they are is astonding!

~Alp