Reviews for Candles Against the Sea
KyuuketsukiNekko chapter 1 . 2/16/2012
Yep. This plot HAS been done before, but I for one, never get sick of reading them. I really enjoy reading other writers' takes on how this happens, and so far, I'm really liking yours. I'm looking forward to reading more!

~Kyuuketsuki_Nekko
Jayim Duinara chapter 20 . 12/13/2011
Hello,

This is my definition of superb writing. You captured the essence of the characters so well! The depth of emotion without sacrificing the realism...

This touched me deeply. So much empathy for Obi-wan; I nearly broke down in tears during the candle ritual.

Jayim Duinara
QueenRexKenobi124 chapter 4 . 11/7/2011
I've already read this story before on a different site about five times, but when I saw it here I couldn't help myself! It's just an amazing story and Obi-wan is so humble! You've just done something that senior Padawans struggle with and are like, "Oh that's nice...", lol! : p I love 3 3 this!
Cats-in-blue-glasses chapter 10 . 8/29/2011
This was a really amazing chapter. I tend to review stories after I finish reading the whole thing, but I really liked this chapter. The part with Qui-Gon remembering Xanatos as he was before his fall was very touching. Same thing with Obi-Wan. *sniffle* I guess it's the Xanatos fan inside me, lol. Great story you have here.

:-)
HaiJu chapter 19 . 7/23/2011
Now I know you wrote this years ago and I've already left a critical review, but I thought I'd leave you a note anyway.

Just reread this whole thing, and I still love it. Yay for unreserved mush! But seriously, you write very tenderly and the emotions ring true. That bit in chapter 17 where Obi-Wan describes the motivation behind cutting has stuck with me all this time. I know that's a weird part to fixate on, but it describes the feeling so well.

The ending is still an unabashed waterfall of mush; I took it a little better this time, probably because I'm in a particularly maudlin mood. It's so nice it's unrealistic, but it resonates with unfulfilled desires of the heart. Love is so precious, but so hard to convey. Wouldn't it be nice if we could share our true minds with loved ones this easily? It makes me a little sad, actually. See? Maudlin.

Again, thanks for writing-and thanks for your more than courteous reply to my initial review; I recall it being somewhat energetically critical. I write way too much in these reveiws, even when I have nothing substantial to say (like now). I should just stick to the typical "You're awesome! Write more!" formula. But no, I have to use Paragraphs and sign the end like a Letter. Geez. But I digress.

Peace always,

~Hj
Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet chapter 20 . 4/30/2011
Aww, fabulous story. Adorable. I really appreciate the introspection in this. Sounds like you've dealt with cases of abuse before yourself. *hug*
Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet chapter 18 . 4/30/2011
Awww! So adorable! I don't think something like this ever happened in canon (although I can certainly see Obi-wan hiding something like that or not acknowledging it for a very long time, and even Qui-gon right back), but I love it none the less and don't find it out of character. :)
Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet chapter 10 . 4/29/2011
Holy cow...an amazing chapters. Just...wow. I cried. ; Stunningly beautiful, and I absolutely loved what you had Obi-wan say about Bruck, and even what Qui-gon said about Xanatos. Fabulous.
CosmicEssence chapter 20 . 2/24/2011
This is absolutely amazing. Beautifully written. I'm speechless as to how well this works, plenty of angst, irony (well maybe the irony's only mine but while most would be worried over darkness, and certainly Quigon seemed to think the feelings he spoke of would be dark ones, Obiwan is worried about love/light. lol that to me is so easy to accept because everyone doubts it to an extent even without this jedi code business coming in and just so damn amusing somehow). Loved Nibbi, how Amora was handled, how mysteries and griefs and love was revealed, how (yea even this) the government wasnt corrupt for once, how there was no heavy torture yet still enough of the spiritual type to make this one dramatic and intense, the banter and emotion and situations and well just everything I could possibly name (which would be like reiterating this entire thing all over again). Just, wow, excellent piece and I think you've certainly done what you claimed you were trying to do.

Also I think this is s good ending, doesnt feel unfinished to me at all (which is soo good to see because its practically become par for the course with fanfiction that the majority of stories are either incomplete or feel unfinished!).

Thanks, great read, but now I really got to go to bed! :P
Karissa chapter 20 . 2/5/2011
I've read this story so many times, and I love it every single time! I like your writing style, and I think your characterization is really good. I know that you're not really writing for the Star Wars fandom anymore, but I still come back and read all of your stories, even the ones that aren't finished. So thanks for all of the enjoyment!
HaiJu chapter 20 . 9/19/2010
Please forgive the rambliness or occasional incoherence, it's late and I haven't done one of these in a while.

Ah, what a lovely change of pace. This fanfic is slow moving, but the plot and the themes are so delicately handled that it feels just right. You very neatly interwove characters and events into the major theme. The OCs were vibrant without overwhelming the main characters, there was enough introspection to provide depth without too much philosophical meandering, the Jedi pair were tender without being sappy (mostly, more on this below). All in all a very tender and thoughtful look at the development of Obi-wan and Qui-gon's relationship.

Okay, so that's the nice part of the review- I promise I meant every word! Here's the not so nice (but necessary) part: the critique. Please bear with me, I never take the time to do this unless I really like a story.

First off, I want to say that I highly appreciate your respect for the English language. I don't think I spotted any typos (though I may have missed some, it is 5 am) and your grammar is excellent. You wouldn't believe how many good stories have been spoiled by distracting errors. I'm so glad that wasn't the case here!

Stylistically, you tend a bit toward the over-romantic. By this I mean describing everyone and everything (barring bad guys) in beautiful terms. It involves the overuse of terms like "delicate" "slender" "pale". This is very common among females, myself included. It kind of breaks down the suspension of disbelief after a while, especially when persistently applied to male characters, who can't be both elite fighters and frail, ephemeral flowers at once. Even from someone who has a biased perspective (say, Qui-gon looking at Obi-wan) won't always be thinking in terms of vulnerability, which is what that imagery tends to evoke. The only cure is to consciously be more down-to-earth when describing people and things.

Your characters were a little romanticized throughout (more on this below), but that's hardly surprising considering the theme of the story. Qui-gon was well done overall (people seem to have trouble getting into his head, so this is a refreshing change), I think the slower pace of the story suited his personal traits. Obi-wan was also very well done. You tied him into a delightfully complex yet completely believable knot of angst. My only problem with him was that he was way too smart and capable about the situation with Nibbi in the beginning. I think I'd want to see him struggle to puzzle out what to do with the gang. He is only thirteen still, after all. Maybe more introspection on Obi-wan's part? Or more outside factors leading to his decision.

I'm not really going to touch on the abuse cases and the interesting parallels to Obi-wan's situation because this review is too long already. Just know that they're duly noted and appreciated, and I sincerely hope your intimate acquaintance with these things is from the helping side, not the hurt.

Last thing, promise!

I also just didn't like the ending. Chapter 18-20 were too unbelievable for me. I feel that no people, even jedi mind-melding kindred spirits, could ever reach that kind of happiness. This is what I'm calling the problem of romanticizing. People are never that nice in real life, especially across the board. I don't think there was a single evil-feeling character in the entire story (even the gang leader didn't quite make it to tough).

I think there is a deep-seated need in all of us to love freely and be loved in return. It's what really attracts all of us readers to this kind of fic, I think, because we all want that kind of fulfillment, and we can get a taste of that through empathy with the character. As you've touched on here, the same longings for love and affirmation can end up in abuse or self-abuse.

I could get into how the only perfect fulfillment of that desire is Christ, but I don't know where you stand on that and I don't want you to miss my point.

The point is that there is no such thing as perfect love in this life, and every one of us knows it. That's why we empathize so readily with Obi-wan and his doubts, fears, pain and anxiety. Nobody's sure. Nobody feels completely safe, at least not once they've reached a certain age. And that's why I just can't buy into the last three chapters. It's way too good to be true, and instead of feeling relieved for Obi-wan I feel lied to. I feel like the ending resolved the conflicts far beyond what even suspended reality can accept.

It's quite possible that I'm just jilted and cynical. I sincerely hope that's true.

Anyway, despite the long critique, I really enjoyed your fic. It is really wonderful to come across such a carefully written and well-handled story.

~Hj
Xandra-A chapter 1 . 6/30/2010
*Applauds* Well done! This is truly a beautiful story! I'm sure everyone who read this had to go and give a parent a hug. (I know I did!) Excellent job! You conveyed a very emotional message in a surprisingly simple way. The visuals were very strong and well thought out, and you have such a wonderful way with character dialogue. I would've said "a wonderful way with words" but I'm sure you already know that, considering what a great author you are! - My favorite thing about this piece would be how you had smaller threads (It's shocking how many authors don't do this!)going on at the same time in the plot that emphasized the overall message, as opposed to taking away from it, which were neatly tied up at the end. Bravo!

While reading this I was reminded of the Candle in the Water song! Hmmm, it does kinda fit the story doesn't it? Keep writing!

Cheers!
Obiwan456 chapter 1 . 6/14/2010
I thoroughly enjoyed your beautiful story. I had a little bit of a time picturing a thirteen year old boy cuddled on a grown man's lap, but I supposed in his emotionally starved state it was what he needed at the time. It was good the contrasts you showed in the other characters, as well as in Obi-Wan himself. You showed him strong, talented, and caring to others, yet he had a deep emotional need he didn't know how to deal with, and hid because he thought he was wrong to have them. Your story brought a tear to my eyes a couple times, very nicely done. Now I think I'll check out what else you've written for my fav. SW duo.:)~Obi's Mom.
Obiwan456 chapter 10 . 6/12/2010
I was going to wait till the end to review, but this chapter was beautiful. Touching and heart felt. Such an honoring of those who died in the JA books. The whole ceremony is beautiful also...is there anything like this for real? It seems like a wonderful way to remember loved ones. ~Obi's Mom
lembas7 chapter 18 . 2/27/2010
YAY! I've been hunting around to find a chapter I haven't reviewed, because stupid ffnet won't let you re-review a chapter you've already reviewed. GR.

I love this story, as I'm sure you've gathered, and I love your work immensely. I'm constantly searching for stories - be they in book, movie, or fanfic form - that have this indefiniable quality I tend to call "heart". You've got it in spades. And I wouldn't be harassing you but for I've paused enough to read the author notes this time around and you mentioned a sequel in the note in chapter 20? I know it's been years since you posted this and the sequel unfortunately is probably gathering dust or lost now, but I thought I'd register myself as one who would be absolutely thrilled to see it make a debut, if ever you had the inclination.

Also, since I'm harassing you . . . "The Unchosen"? :( Please please please don't consign that one to the vaccuum of cyberspace (I know I'm not a model person to be begging people re: unfinished fics, since I'm so terribly guilty on that count myself, but I figured a nudge might not hurt. ;)
310 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »