Reviews for The Rescue
CazPeak chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
"Mrs. Granger. Next to Privet Drive, your home represents the most closely guarded and heavily-warded Muggle home in England, possibly in the world"

uhhh... c'mon. Why would a heavily warded home in the Muggle world be preferable to 12 Grimmauld Place, which is under Fidelius & Black death wards? Or to the Burrow? Or to Hogwarts? Or to the Longbottoms? Why of course... because two muggle dentists have earned the respect and love of the wizarding world beyond any other individual or sentient creature and have used that position of strength to obtain these marvelous wards. Sure - even the Minister or Head of the DMLE themselves might like those wards, but we must make sure the muggle parents of a 5th year know it all student are protected first. An absurd premise. Not to mention the scene with the Granger parent. Dumbledore - who couldn't be bothered to let Petunia know that he was dropping off a baby on her doorstep due to her sister's untimely death - takes time to see what Dr. Muggle thinks about his grand plan and seeks her approval...

I realise this story is old, but similar plot constructs remain prevalent in many HP fanfics. It is not remotely credible, then or now.
Runecutter chapter 1 . 2/3/2012
Very convincing!

It's nice to see a story where Dumbledore is not evily discounting Harry's interests and his wellbeing for his sodden "Greater Good" and still things get righted. It's even nicer to have a moment where Snapes haughty self assuredness gets deconstructed into nothingness and he has to accept the truth.

Okay maybe i'd have liked a bit more snidyness in the end, something like Albus stopping Minerva with a notion like "Minerva, you surely remember that we're to abstain from our "unnatural freakyness" inside of these honest muggles place of living" turning Vernon's hateful bile against him or somesuch, but the version you wrote is already damned fine retaliation for those horrible people.
brigrove chapter 1 . 9/17/2011
Quite a nice one shot.

Couple of errors - Buckinghamshire is NOT distant from Surrey, in fact it's closer than Herefordshire and the Burrow is in Devon
Wonderbee31 chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
Glad I found this, as it was a neat fic, and highlighted a Snape that was at least more tolerable than the canon one, and we get to see just how deeply deluded the Dursley's are in their own way as well.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 1 . 7/9/2008
While this story contained no new ideas, even for the time, it was mostly well executed.

The third reel suffered from characters "chewing up the scenery" and from lack of particularly adult dialog, actions or justice.
morriganscrow chapter 1 . 2/19/2007
You write excellent Potter fanfic - do please write some more.
udderpd chapter 1 . 12/28/2006
Hi Ben,

First let me say that as a story I enjoyed this.

Now the comments because as you say you do not know much about the HP universe.

Voldemort was never Dumbledore's apprentice, he was a student and D'dore never trusted him even then.

Is Nutri-Max potion your invention? It is not canon but there is no harm in inventing a potion.

You have already been told about Hedwig being a Snowy Owl and just about everything else is quite reasonable.

If you want to write somthing else I would be happy to give it the once over before you posted it.

TTFN UdderPD
terry chapter 1 . 12/27/2006
I was just reading old-crows story Tom and Harry and he recommended this story for which I shall have to thank him as this was well worth the read. Further chapters of this quality would be nice.
The-Resident chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
This was an excellent story. Except for the presence of a few spelling errors, i.e. consoling instead of counseling (please check for the meanings of each), I would have eagerly added this story to my C2 (though I am adding it to my favorites). You do have the ability to write good HP fanfiction and should explore this particular genre. I'd find a good editor at the same time.
nurray chapter 1 . 8/9/2006
Not bad. I quite liked it.

One idea to go in a sequel would be for Harry to contact Gringots and ask them to retireve the money paid to the Dursleys as they never used it to look after Harry and by their own words, "the chosre you did, paid for your upkeep". On that basis the implied contract to "look after Harry" was never carried out so the monies should be returned, with interest and a Gringots handling fee of course. Can you imagine Vernon trying to come to terms with some Gringots accountant accompanied by some Goblins guards.

Nice treatment of Hermione in this fic. Well done. Your Snape seemed to change his opinion rather quickly. Ok he saw that his impression of Harry's muggle life was wrong, but his hatred of Harry was overcome a little fast. I would have though McGonagal would fly off the handle as she does seem to be quite protective of the students. Her reaction didn't come through.

Snape wanting to put Vernon in his place worked well, as I can see him being a wizarding bigot. Would have liked seeing Dudley freak out when he met Snape.
Arcaellos chapter 1 . 6/19/2006
An excellent piece of work.
sasqch chapter 1 . 10/31/2005
A very well plotted and written story. I liked the characterization you used for each of the players in the story. Each was unique and very believable. For instance, you kept Snape a completely reprehensible, arrogant, and conceited jerk. Yet, he also is not so completely heartless to see Harry being so badly abused. Whether this change in attitude is due to a sliver of humanity in his soul or just because the actions were done by "Muggles" against one of their "Betters" (in his eyes at least), is a question to be pondered later.

I also liked the slow, but steady change in attitude from Dumbledore. He starts out completely certain and set in his decisions. Yet, he too is brought to a new understanding that he was wrong.

But probably the best touch, to me, was the subtle play of the growing rapport between Hermione and Harry. It occurs off "screen", but its impact is what drives Hermione's actions and her utter and total conviction. And her embarrassment at the idea that Dumbledore may have stumbled across her deeper feelings was a nice human touch.

All in all, I would love to see a continuation of this story. You have a very nice touch for the characters

Chris
bobsaqqara chapter 1 . 10/30/2005
Very good job, I would love to see a sequel. And if you do write another HP piece, might I suggest using hp-lexicon. org, it is an invaluable source for us hp fanfic writers. Thank you for sharing - Bob
bigD chapter 1 . 9/1/2005
hey ben,

not bad for a first try. your writings tight and discriptive. you should write some more when the insperation bunny comes back by.

bigD
Mikee chapter 1 . 8/11/2005
Cool story. I quite liked it. I realize you said in your A/N that you didn't have an idea for a sequel, but I hope you get an idea. I'd love to see a follow-up - especially in the form of a 2nd chapter. It would be nice to know what happened at number 4 Privet Drive *after* Albus left.

Please consider a second chapter.

Thank you.