Reviews for The War Horse
dragekrigeren chapter 1 . 6/28
please update it is so good
don't use the same word to describe the same thing twice (i.e., the great creature... the troublesome creature). it sounds really weird.
Pip the Dark Lord of All chapter 1 . 2/2
Wonderful little story! :D
The Lead Mare chapter 1 . 1/25/2014
Beautiful, and so sad.
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 2/10/2010
A great story. Very well written.
shackleton chapter 1 . 2/4/2008
ha found you. love your stories. added.
Tinorial Peredhil chapter 1 . 3/6/2007
That was so sweet. I love the conflict between Gimli and himself, between his conscience and his upbringing. The horse is so proud and wonderful! You write beautifully. Thank you for sharing that!
Stoneage Woman chapter 1 . 3/13/2005
Hey, that was ever so sweet. Your writing is really great, keep up the good work!
Miz Turwaithiel chapter 1 . 3/4/2005
Aww, this was really sweet. I liked it a lot...or maybe i just liked the, it was good.
Mirfaen chapter 1 . 3/1/2005
Hey, long time how are you? This is just about the first time I've had time to sit down at the computer in a long time! (Because we had a snow day today. Our 6th one this winter!) I got my next chapter out. Woohoo! You'll have to excuse me, I'm just so excited to be talking to you again. Or, talking to my computer...which will talk to your computer. Anyway, I like this story! Especially the ending, that was so bittersweet! Nice job, girl. I hope you are doing well and I'm glad to see you're still at it. Hoo boy, so much to catch you up on. It'll have to come in little spurts as I think I would go insane if I tried to type it all out right here. Perhaps I am already insane. Oh well. I'm off to enjoy my last few days being 17. Or rather, I will enjoy the fact that I will only be 17 for two more days. Whatever. I think I'm tired. I really hope you and your family are doing well! I've missed passing emails! I hope to hear from you soon!

p.s. Hehe, I see you'll never ever have comma trouble again! :)
A-zla chapter 1 . 2/3/2005
Wow, this was very good. I really was quite touched. It is good that you made Gimli find the horse, not Legolas, as I would have expected from such a kind of story. With Legolas, it would not have been as special as with Gimli.
Saikagrl chapter 1 . 1/25/2005
Nicely written with a lot of emotion from both Gimili and the horse. You portrayed a war horse as more than just a horse, a character with emotional value. I would have been happier if you had let me beta it, thats what I do... remember.
One Feather chapter 1 . 1/25/2005
touching, with bits of wry humour. I like it!
Snarky Loki chapter 1 . 1/25/2005

Couple pointers:

"...was still chill keeping the mist..."

Need a comma between "chill" and "keeping."

"...being isolated letting him..."

Also a comma between "isolated" and "letting." I can't recall the phrasing of the actual rule, but in sentences of this sort there's always a comma between the dependent and independent clause.

"Well that wasn't what..."

Comma after "well."

"He had never given a care to the great creatures one way or another except to curse the ignorant creatures."

You used "creatures" twice in one sentence. Perhaps "beast"?

"The horse was in poor shape; Gimli decided, a mercy killing would be a kindness to the poor animal."

Odd punctuation and misplaced "Gimli decided." Maybe "The horse was in poor shape - a mercy killing would be a kindness to the poor animal, Gimli decided."

"The horse raised his head testing the air before giving a warning snort."

"Testing the air" would have a comma before it: "...his head, testing the air..."

"'Easy horse.' Gimli cajoled."

Commas again. "'Easy, horse,' Gimli cajoled."

"...ground weakly all the while..."

Comma after "weakly."

"Gimli reached out taking care..."

Comma after "out."

"...foot again his ears pinned back."

Comma after "again."

"'Easy horse..."

Same as above.

"'I could leave you here.' Gimli stated furiously."

Comma instead of period after "here" since the following part describes how he said it. "Stated furiously" is kind of awkward - maybe "threatened"?

"...his head making a strange..."

Comma after "head."

"He was half tempted to leave the animal there but he couldn't in good conscious."

Need a comma after "there" because the two phrases "but" connects are independent. You mean "conscience."

"...the horse not really..."

Comma after "horse."

"Gimli puffed another sigh rolling his eyes."

"Puffed"? Maybe "sighed again." Comma after "sigh."

"...about him easily finding..."

Comma after "him."

"'He died brave.' Gimli muttered softly."

"Bravely," not "brave." Comma after "brave[ly]" since it's describing how he said it.

Beyond the punctuation difficulties, this is very well written. I liked reading Gimli-centered fics - he usually gets lost in the shuffle.
Eokat chapter 1 . 1/25/2005
lovely story. Very emotional. I liked it a lot. Eokat.