Reviews for Magical Basics Expounded
Nemaya chapter 3 . 12/18/2013
I think I would have failed transfiguration.
Brilliant piece of magical theory on all three topics. I enjoyed the first two best, though, as they were easiest to understand.
I love it when people think on magical theory and how even magic has to adhere to certain laws of the universe.
Dovewing123 chapter 3 . 4/29/2013
And I thought I put a lot of thought into my fanfic worlds. This is fantastic — not only does it have a ton of thought put into it, making it a logical explanation of magic, but it was also writtin in such a way that it held my attention despite the textbook-like content. Although I'm still not sure if that's because the content was about magic, which is exponentially more interesting than what I'm learning in any of my textbooks. Regardless, kudos to you for your well-thought-out 'magical basics'.
Devil Reader chapter 3 . 11/1/2012
I just wanted to ask why not say that the Maximizing Transfigurations draw energy from the surrounding air and gets colder? You could say that the Charm Quarks that appear convert the surrounding Quarks (Strange in particular for its 'made-up' ability to change into other Quarks maybe?) and that the cold is a result of magic not being totally efficient and converting heat to mass. Just an idea.
Rubles the Amazing Cookie Mom chapter 3 . 11/11/2011
nice use of chemistry to back up magical theory! I wouldn't be surprised if this were true in the magical world. Keep on going, and surprise us all!
alaskan-dracolych chapter 3 . 4/17/2011
Still an interesting bit of read.
Blik chapter 3 . 12/7/2010
I'm sorry to hear that you don't want to finish this. I remember being more excited to read this than I was to read "Time for Me" at the very beginning. Now, I'm more captivated by the Plot of TtS, of course, but that doesn't prevent me from being fascinated by Magickal Theory every time I run across it.

Using the Charm Quark is a stroke of genius. Foisting the research off onto the Yanks is also smart, as in almost every Trans-Atlantic fic I've read the American magicals are more integrated with the muggle world than are their British counterparts. (I'm guessing their research, and by extension your book, are not very popular in Britain save among professors, 'Claws, and Hermione.)

I would encourage you to continue this, if only slowly. I recommended it to someone the other day in a review, as it's not very often you find essays on this site. As you say, Theory is more often buried in the body of a work. I'd be willing to help you get it out, too, if you need an editor, proofreader, or flesher-outer.
lesbianational chapter 3 . 9/30/2010
This story is very interesting and wonderful to read.

I have a question; how did you manage to come up with quantum physics and sub-atomic particles as an explanation for transfiguration? It makes sense but how did you get the idea?

}{}Alicia{}{
TheNotedMusician chapter 3 . 1/31/2010
I LOVED this chapter! The energy coming from quarks and the like...ingenious, with a fascinating description! I had also been thinking of a way to figure this out (ignoring the fact that it isn't actually real, and therefore doesn't have to make sense) but you seem to have already found an excellent solution! GREAT job, and I really can't wait for the next chapter! I think this one will remain my favorite, though... :D Good luck on future writing, and UPDATE SOON!

TheNotedMusician
falenas108 chapter 3 . 1/27/2010
Idea for maximizing Transfiguration, even light is partially a particle, the extra mass could come from the light given from the spell.
DyranHunter chapter 2 . 12/12/2009
I've only just found this, and it's incredible! :D it's so interesting ... do you mind if I keep these magical theories in mind for my own fanfics? Not to paraphrase of anything, but just to keep in my head of how magic works?

Josie
HappeeGoLuckee chapter 2 . 6/12/2008
My only complaint is as to the amount I understand! I usually understand things when I read them, but lately I've come to the sad conclusion that I need to keep reading more and that college is going to be a fun pain.

Thank you for the time you put into your works.
YuriyTalaIvanov chapter 2 . 1/29/2008
wow! this fic is so much like a textbook! i'm impressed; you actually got me BORED! FROM READING! lol..this RARELY EVER happens to me when i'm reading...*im not sure if thats a good thing or not though...O.o?* lol...nice writing though...hehe
Minerva McGonagall Rox chapter 1 . 11/22/2007
This is cool, the writing style sounds like the way Aries speaks. I like how you have put so much thought into this. Have a nice day!

~Minerva McGonagall Rox
luckyducky7too chapter 2 . 8/1/2007
After reading your A/N to 'I-Shave-Clowns' I am quite scared of what you would think if you read my work(please don't read it!), since I find it horribly lacking...(but if any of the people that did review it are reading this, I still appreciate your comments!) And on the contrary, I find this to be highly informative rather than boring. I hope that you will find the time add to this as well as your fic!

P.S.-Just a passing thought, but it would be quite amusing to have Hermione idolize this particular book, wouldn't you think?
Lyra the Heretic chapter 2 . 5/21/2007