Reviews for What God Has Joined Together
thorn-bird chapter 1 . 3/27/2005
Gah. I've written one about him falling in love already...and if I hadn't, I'd do it again...but alas, you are the only hope for the Mulcahy love. So underrated! Please let something come of this, please.
Roobarb chapter 1 . 2/14/2005
Thanks for your thoughts, they have been VERY helpful, especially with regards to the other story which I'm currently writing. I am a Christian, but am not catholic. I did have an aunt who was a nun, but she always seemed to remote and I could not, as a young educated woman, understand why she would give up her life like that. Perhaps that's why I'm so facinated by Mulcahy. I understand what you are saying about his vocation, and that makes perfect sense. But one thing I am intersted in exploring is what he does for release in moments of extreme pressure. Mulcahy was neglected in the series coz of censorship issues (i think anyway), but I aim to address that! He is a priest, yes, but he is only human. And it seems that in moments of crisis most others in camp resort to basic levels of comfort/animal instinct. Would he be tempted? How would he react?

Please e-mail me so we can chat about this a bit more - I'd be really interested at bouncing other ideas on this with you, if that's OK?
PraiseDivineMercy chapter 1 . 2/13/2005
This sounds like an interesting fic. Um..I'd like to give some personal advice as a person who is entering religious life: Vocation(the calling to be a priest or nun) is very much like falling in love. It carries a great happiness all its own. Don't think for a minute that a priest as sweet and passionate as Father Mulcahy doesn't love his vocation.

That said, natural human inclinations occur. I deal with them myself. A priest friend I talked to about this described the feeling as being torn between "something good and something really good." Some people decide to leave religious life after falling in love, but many choose their first love and stay with the priesthood.

What one must remember is that Father Mulcahy follows a old Catholic teaching: when words do not suffice, teach by example. Nobody listens to Father Mulcahy's sermons, but his kindness, compassion and bravery set an example for the entire unit. He's the anti-Frank you could say._

Hope my ruminations have been of help. _
Roo chapter 1 . 1/31/2005
Thanks you two for your comments. I've now put an author's note to explain where I was coming from. I suppose in my defence I would say that the idea is that YOU have to decide where I'm coming from with this one. I treat drabbles like haikus - build up a complex story then strip it down to describe basic images and feelings of the characters. It's not so much what the story is, it's more the emotions which the words can convey that interest me. Which is why I write so much for Mulcahy as to me he is an enduring mystery (due the fact that he couldn't jump into bed with nurses thanks to American censorship- bah!). So before you read, try to think about what might be going on under that panama and THEN you might get what I'm seeing!
Therm chapter 1 . 1/30/2005
I know this is a first chapter, and it's good, but it doesn't really say anything.

There are loads of pretty words and it's very nice, but I'm not sure that reading all the words I get what it's saying! Maybe it's cause I'm not that smart, or you're too smart. Dumb it down a bit and try the next chapter anyway, maybe that'll get people hooked into it as it's kinda short to know where it's going.
Stary0706 chapter 1 . 1/29/2005
You know, I really don't think I can make a judgement with the drabble you presented to us. I personally am not sure where you are going with this... I have a grasp, but it's not enough... maybe if you threw on a first chapter or something people could make a better judgement of what you are trying to do...

Also, a lot of people don't like leaving signed reviews, so it may help if you allowed all people to have the option of reviewing w/o signing in... i.e. in your personal review part in the "login" screen.

Good luck, and I'll give it another shot, but right now I am not too intersted... it just isn't enough to grasp my intrest.

*Stary
Roobarb chapter 1 . 1/28/2005
Not meaning to appear desperate, but I would really appreciate an opinion. There are so many works on here that I've read and enjoyed. Even if you think it's rubbish, I value your opinions folks. LET ME KNOW IF IT'S WORTH GOING ON! I've got so much stuff of my pooter, I need to find somewhere to put it!