Reviews for An Unwilling Angel
Scholorly Vagrant chapter 4 . 9/16/2013
I found this story rather interesting given it's name & due to how Rei is handled in general.

It's nice how she remained herself & yet changed so much as the story progressed. More like a person then a mechanical being trying to become a person, she was handled nicely as other's around her saw her change. Despite that, so many remained in character. Well done!
connor1504 chapter 3 . 9/12/2013
Gotta say, this is awesome, I loved how Misato played the matchmaker.
NorseOdin chapter 4 . 8/23/2013
I find Evangelion fanfiction entrancing. Though I really even haven't seen the series front-to-back the characters and themes are are intense. A good Evangelion fanfiction should have all the depth and power than an original work has. There's no excuse.

And this story doesn't need one. To some extent my issue with this story is an illusion. Having grown fond of the media through Random1377 and Adam Kadmon, I expect fanfics to be harsh, bittersweet. The kind of thing you tear up at the end but feel glad you stuck through it.

Thus having an upbeat story is difficult to digest. And I think what you have to work with from the series makes it difficult to make this story seem real. Feeling legitimately happy at the end but not feeling like you read some bizzaro version of Eva is almost unique.

Rei blossoms into a dynamic character, through a series of minor plot twists that ultimately make a lot of sense. What happens to her makes sense- it doesn't feel like a growth from the story, but rather an alternate take. As with many S/R fics, she's the star. The story depends on her being arresting, and she mostly is. There's a bit where her character development makes a leap I wasn't read for, but it's not repeated. And with her we get Shinji fighting the same demons and he feels authentic as well.

To be blunt, there were a bit too many last-second changes. Sometimes people need to die to make a story click. I thought it didn't wreck the middle of the story, and perhaps I'm just living on the darker side of the fandom.

Read this. It's hard not to like.
Thespurgin chapter 4 . 4/6/2013
Me gusta. I really enjoyed this one, though I feel... some of the side stories that are inevitably around could easily be woven into this story to make it complete. Something of a master's edition. Is this possible?
Guest chapter 4 . 12/27/2012
Amazing, reading fanficition of this quality, form this long ago gives me hope. At times I grow bored with fanficition, but always come back after a few months. While I have been reading fanficition since 2004, somehow I never came across this fanfiction. To think, you wrote this over a decade ago, and it still stands the test of time. One of the best Shinji/Rei out there, with a happy ending. The ending with Ritsuko was the best scene of the story, showing how divergent from canon this was.
Sol-El-Gabal chapter 4 . 11/1/2011
One of the best fics I've ever read!
Rose1948 chapter 4 . 8/23/2011
Very NICE! I enjoyed this lots. Too bad about Kaoru, though. I always thought that his death in the series—both manga and anime—did more harm than good. I like how you portrayed him.

A lovely story. Thanks for sharing.
Velorafe chapter 4 . 8/19/2011
Awesome story! Wish it was more like this in the tv series. Thank you for this wonderful story. It really is quite outstanding.
ZenWriterZero chapter 4 . 3/13/2011
I always did love this story. Very well done, and one of the first fanfics I ever started reading if memory serves. I'm getting old : p Thank you.
bloodhawk268 chapter 4 . 8/28/2010
This is by far the best Evangelion fanfic I've ever read. From episode one of the series I've always felt that Shinji and Rei should be together, and this fic shows that ina way that still fits with the same tone as the show.

Only thing I didn't care for was the handling of Asuka and Touji at the end, but it's a small part and doesn't detract from the main focus of the story. Excellent work.
Nitramy chapter 4 . 11/28/2009
This is still my favorite Evangelion fanfic ever, and a pleasant alternative to the gigantic mind screw that was the official ending.

This fic is also why I began to like the song "Brown-Eyed Girl", by the way.
Tetris Ex Machina chapter 4 . 9/7/2009
Great story!
TleilaxuEyes chapter 4 . 7/1/2009
This was an excellent story with very detailed description and a little bit of everything that made Eva special: the action, the characterization, the general weirdness...it was a great read. Thanks for writing it, and great job!
Kknd2 chapter 4 . 6/21/2009
So, here we are with another universe's story ended. if there is to be an end, let it be such and end, that it will be spoken of in legend forever. I find this a quite satisfactory ending, I can see the logic behind it, and personally the idea of Liliths mask crushing Gendo is just such sweet poetic justice I wish I had thought of it.

to anyone looking at this review asking themselves the "Read or not?" question. Just do it, it will be good for you.
gundam-eva64 chapter 4 . 8/30/2008
This is one of the best Evangelion fanfics I've read since 2005, when I started watching Evangelion and was obsessed with the Shinji/Rei pairing.