Reviews for Surviving This
LA Knight chapter 2 . 6/6/2012
And I'm back for chapter 2 because I *will* review every chapter of this awesomesauce piece. I *will!*

So I love that she throws the spear at Scar not out of bravery or irritation or anything like that - it's because she's stark terrified and it's the only thing she can think of.

I remember when I read through one of the author's notes either in this fic or the sequel, you said you didn't want her to be another... oh, what's that girl's name? Machiko? The human who teamed up with the Predators in the AVP books. Anyway, I just wanted you to know, you're doing a great job with Lex doing this and not having her be Machiko (I think that's her name).

The title of this fic really fits - it is ALL about survival. Everything Lex does is out of a desire to survive. Not a thrill of the hunt, not out of desire to be hooked up with Scar for his own sake, none of that - she just wants to make it out alive. And that not only makes her incredibly realistic, it makes her incredibly relatable. So rock on.

I also love that he laughs at her and she gets mad. When you're scared, it is easy to turn fear into anger. To quote Yoda, "Fear leads to anger" and so on and so forth. So I like that. Because being mocked when you're scared out of your mind would tick anyone off, I think. And then she hurts him with the knife and Scar don't think it's so funny no more, hehe. Dumb teenage boy. He's kinda like, "Cute little ooman- OW! WTF, mate? You actually hurt me! Gelfling, you die!"

Sorry, I just realized that if you've never seen The Dark Crystal, you have no idea why that last part is relevant. Ah, well...

Whoa. Scar can rip a xenomorph off of his back with ONE HAND? If I wasn't married, I'd consider marrying him.

Kudos for having Lex not make it through this unscathed. I thought she got through the movie with not as many injuries as she should have (though I seem to recall she WAS injured), so I like that already she's scraped up, has what might be a mild concussion, and now an acid burn. And despite all this, she managed to kill the stupid thing anyway. I wish I could be that bada$$. I am phobically afraid of zombies, and this kind of sheer bada$$ery would come in handy in case of zombie apocalypse.

Awww. Scar gave her her weapon back. The only reason this is cute to me is because I know they kiss or something later (I haven't read that far in your series, but my roommate read it and apparently they have a moment? Or many moments? I'm totally okay with that, btw). Anyway, so forearmed with the knowledge of their impending relationship, I view certain things in ways different than I might otherwise.

Anywho, I'm glad that you're dragging out the bonding moment. Instead of them bonding in like, 5 minutes of screentime (I seem to recall it doesn't take long, but it's been years since I've seen the film), it takes a few chaps. Although I wish your chapters were longer so I could have more of your AVP goodness.

Oh, hey, the end. On to chapter 3! Yay!

Sincerely,

LA Knight

PS - I highly recommend OceanFire9's comedy AVP one-shot, "I Kissed a Predator and I Liked It" as well as her somewhat sad one-shot "Starry Hunters," which draws interesting parallels between Lex/Scar and Artemis/Orion. Ocean is the one who recommended you to me. )
LA Knight chapter 1 . 6/2/2012
So I have actually read this entire fic already, and read most if not all of the sequel. However, I am a horrible lazy slacker and haven't reviewed. So to make sure you know how very much I adore your work (your AVP fics are THE best chap-fics in the fandom) I've decided to show the love and review. And I'm going to review EVERY chapter of EVERY chap-fic you've done. So don't think I'm spamming you or anything - I just want to tell you what I love about your work. Fan mail is good, yes?

So first, I love that you don't start at the beginning of the movie. That would be BO-ring. I like that you start at the very moment when Lex is like, "Oh, dude, I am so f***ed." And then I like that she cries. Of course she cries. Who wouldn't cry? In fact, I am probably one of those people who would curl up into a ball and wait to die, unfortunately. Not Lex, though. She cries, but doesn't lose it. Cries, then picks herself up, and is like, "Okay, here I go. I'm probably gonna die, but here I go." And I love that.

Also, can I just how much your word choice rocks. It's hard sometimes with first-person POV because you might have a beautiful descriptor, but the reader's like, "Would a person really say that?" Not so here. Here, the beauty and the awesomeness fit with Lex. "So I went, deeper into the black, yawning depths of the corridor that loomed before me, one trembling step at a time." Oooh, shiver. Yay-ness. And this line, too! "...my knees had half buckled when I felt a shudder claw its way up my spine."

And kudos on your tactful usage of adverbs. I was talking to someone else about overusing adverbs, and how it's hard to know when to step back and when to push, but you've got it DOWN.

Ew - relief, then corpses. Gross. Oh, so you know, I'm writing my review as I read through chapter 1 again. In case you were wondering.

I love her reaction to the hunter. She's not gung-ho "I'm gonna kick your a$$," she's like, "Oh, crap, I'm dead." Which is a) totally and completely believable, and b) makes the whole fact that she makes it through not only this fic, but all the others, so AMAZING. Not that she's weak, because she's not. But she's WAY more relatable in this fic than even in the movie, because she is a totally normal average person, basically, and yet she survives everything you put her through. I LOVE it. And the fact that the alien is fascinating is so cool. It's like how mice have a hard time not being mesmerized by snakes.

"As they grappled, as the infuriated roars of the hunter mingled in chaotic cadence with the shrieks of the alien..." And this right here is proof that I will NEVER be as cool as you. "chaotic cadence." Jeez, I love that. XD

Run away, Lex! Move it! Don't be a hero! See, this is why I like her - she has COMMON SENSE. How many movie heroines do NOT? Sigh.

I love Lex's pragmatism. Of course, she's an arctic explorer person (I sound so NOT smart right now, sigh) so she has to learn to be pragmatic, but I love it all the same. She's like, "Ew, nasty corpse. Crap, need weapons. C'mere, nasty corpse."

Ooooh. Scar says, "You took my spear, woman. I think I might kill you. Let me ponder for a moment. Grrrrr..."

Aw, crap. I'm at the end of the chapter. That is my only complaint, you amazing lady - short chapters. I understand, tho - love to read long chapters, but hate to write them, lol. Which is surprising, because my longest and most popular fic has crazy-long chapters, but anyway... onto chapter 2! Or is it dinnertime? Uh-oh, gotta check...

Sincerely,

LA Knight
purrfus chapter 12 . 2/23/2012
Both endings have their strong points, but since I'm looking forward to more I'll pick this one as the best.
purrfus chapter 1 . 2/23/2012
Some people complain that ffn is full of crud. And there is some. But there are also delicious buried treasure for those who make the effort. Can't wait to read more.
LittleFrisk chapter 1 . 11/3/2011
oh mY
Vaako chapter 12 . 7/31/2011
This whole fic was brilliant, start to finish I enjoyed it. Good job, it was well written and ..and... awesome. I am going on to read more of your stuff ;)
Dontgotaclue88 chapter 12 . 4/1/2011
lol WOW! loved this and am now going to read Sacrifice Theory. You rock! .
Golfbabe87 chapter 12 . 11/8/2010
I loved this story it was so unique! I find it very interesting and exciting to have another predator included in the storyline. I am going to go read the sequel!
Lina03 chapter 12 . 7/12/2010
Wow, what an ending..but much more satisfying that the original one. I loved it! _
DarthRabbit102 chapter 2 . 6/27/2010
It is very very good
frnight chapter 12 . 3/24/2010
Great story. I'm really looking forward to reading the sequal.
frnight chapter 10 . 3/24/2010
Wow, I'm already at the end? I hate it when a story I'm really enjoying ends. At least I have the sequal!
frnight chapter 9 . 3/24/2010
lol. As Lex says: 1 human and 2 teenaged predators. This story definitely has charm.
frnight chapter 8 . 3/24/2010
Ah geez, Celtic is being a pain but at least he's tolerant. As for Lex, lol, she's gotten into constant trouble with stealing the pred's weapons.
frnight chapter 3 . 3/24/2010
Intuition helping her actually makes some sense. Sometimes nothing can beat pure instinct. It was rather funny that After stealing the spear, he throws it to her. Heh, bet he never expected to do that.
205 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »