Reviews for Xenogears: A Novelization
pat chapter 1 . 4/4/2011
terrible, really terrible. total lack of prose. why would I read any further?
Immoral Samurai chapter 8 . 6/11/2007
This is great. Xenogears is my favorite RPG of all time. Being able to read it like this makes it all the more better. Keep up the good work, and make sure to continue it.
majuniorfan chapter 2 . 3/15/2007
wow...

you were pretty accurate with the first chapter.

(that's all i read)

thnx for making a fanfiction novelizing Xenogears.

it'll get me out of a little situation of my own

(can you take a look at one of my stories? look under dragonball Z: the lost story(name))
Firelord Lionheart chapter 8 . 2/21/2007
Great idea novelizing the game. I'm writing one myself, however a little CC is in order. You're just writing what you've played in novel form. In a novelization one must expand, cut, and even add scenes or characters.

Looking forward to the next chapter
Yioujuin chapter 8 . 2/3/2007
I don't think anyone's attempted a complete novelization in English before. I would love to see how it turns out-especially since I started playing and my game froze up in that black scene right after we first see the Kaiser playing the organ.
Ryan M. Usher chapter 7 . 6/1/2006
I'm a big novelization fan, when I feel it's done right. And, I'm not here to tell you you're doing it wrong (if you're even doing it at all anymore), but I would like to offer you advice.

This game is my #1 favorite. I've always wanted a really good novelization for it, but it's not a project I ever felt that I could do justice. That being said, yours is better than most attempts.

A great novelization, though, isn't just going to tell me the same story in a different format. It is going to expand upon those ideas. It is going to show me what the other media cannot. It is going to grasp the shortcomings of the original and make them better.

This is where I think you, as the writer, can improve. So far, the dialogue and events seem to be transplanted almost verbatim from the game. That's a good enough start, I suppose, but it also made me skim, because it wasn't showing or telling me much I didn't already intimately know. The parts about it that I loved best were those times when we got to look inside the characters' minds, to see their thoughts. It was the originality that made it stand out to me. This is YOUR work, and you're a writer, not a transcriber. Let's see you put more of your own mark on this fantastic story.

My other criticism is the pacing and description, which go hand-in-hand. Some people, I suppose, like their reading fast-paced all the time. I think that works in certain situations, but Xenogears isn't one. The game's world is humongous and beautiful, and there's always so much going on. In addition to the expansion of dialogue and character thought, I want to know the environment. I want to see what you think of it, what you see when you play. Maybe you noticed something no one else has. Maybe you see meaning in something everyone else overlooked. Let's see what these influences do to the characters. The physical setting can sometimes be as much a character as any person.

On the positive side, you have a reasonably good grasp of grammar, and your vocabulary is nice and large. There is a solid foundation here. You certainly seem to understand the story and I can see that you have some affection for it. You have strengths, and a lot of potential. I won't lie, it does need work. But, I think you have the ability to transform this from a good novelization into a fantastic one, if you really put your mind to it.
Xenobeast chapter 7 . 2/14/2006
great fantastic work exceedingly brilliant
Xenobeast chapter 6 . 2/14/2006
Excellent, five stars and thumbs up, great work even the work you added blended with the storie perfectly didn't go off balance, once again you have my attention, keep up the great work, dialogue fantastic.
Xenobeast chapter 5 . 2/14/2006
nice!
Xenobeast chapter 4 . 2/14/2006
strong work, great writing skills
Xenobeast chapter 3 . 2/14/2006
great! you are now on my favorite authors list, great like your playing the game but with a better view
Xenobeast chapter 2 . 2/14/2006
good work great characteristics, marvelous persona
Xenobeast chapter 1 . 2/14/2006
really good novelization skills keep up good work
minorfffanatic1 chapter 7 . 11/15/2005
It's good to see somebody working on a novelization that DOESN'T require knowledge of the newer games. Prequels or not; I have no PS2. I have to admit I didn't finish the game yet, but it's just a matter of time.
InsertCleverNameHere chapter 7 . 6/18/2005
I've read alot of stories in my life and by far this is one of the best. It's also good to see some Xenogears stories for once. Keep up the great work and i'll be waiting for the next chapter.