Reviews for Rare Side Effects May Include the Following
I have no idea what is going on at his point... xD
spoonring chapter 1 . 1/14
I agree, ff has majorly declined, ao3 is all I'm ever on nowadays. I'm looking forward to seeing you on ao3, hope to see this fic on there actually, and updated. Aww yes, I've been a fan of this one for probably a century now? Has it been that long since aff? Lol, holy cow.
Itachi's little Weaselette chapter 11 . 7/3/2014
So much content. So much effort. So close to speechless right now. *shakes head*
You have such skill. It's all so immersive- I love it.
I can only hope this keeps going, more is exactly what I want... Damn the waiting game! And without even a hint if it might end.
*sighs*
This was such a pleasure to read, much better then books... It was amazing. Thank you.
Thank you for writing and even more so for... letting us see.
Thanks for the read and good luck if you further this story!
Itachi's little Weaselette chapter 7 . 7/3/2014
A few along the way... But I'm a bit busy-
So enthralled.
...I'll tell you later, maybe.
BLANDCorporatio chapter 2 . 4/13/2014
Lol, "If his forehead was cement [...]": funny opener. Likewise the bit about damaging equipment in battle.

I stopped for a while when Leon curled into a ball on the floor to ponder things. Oh, your prose is tense and compelling, and the mix of Leon's, hmm, let's call it sassytude with the plaga cravings creates a weird feeling that his mind isn't his own. You show us his mind through reactions at every step of the story. He seems a wisecracking badass, not what the plaga wants to make him, and as a result this feels like what demonic possession might be. Seriously, a very good chapter, both in terms of, ya know, being a gripping story, and in terms of technique. The way you mix in Leon's commentary at every turn is amazing, and I'll probably return to this chapter on several occasions in the future just because it deserves to be a reference and model.

What pulled me out was trying to imagine what it all would look like.

I pictured shaking, and yelling, and grunting, and contorted faces. I would not want to be the poor sap who has to play Leon in a film adaptation of Rare. Once a visual medium is used, it's too easy to slide into over the top and caricature.

But this isn't a visual medium. And what you do, pure and simple, works. I've heard someone say that, to come out of the page, characters and events might need to be larger than life. And wow do you deliver. Every paragraph drips with primal predatory lust and tenuously held duty. Every moment has the character[s] in mortal peril- death of the spirit, at least, where death means changing into whatever else lies beyond plaga.

If this were a film, it wouldn't work in earnest. But it's not a film. It is unfilmable. On your road to mastery of the written word you've hit on something this medium [alone] can do, operate with emotion as raw, formless, imageless material of the soul. A nightmare may be ridiculous but not while it's experienced and that's the substance you tap into.

Cheers.
Jiejiep chapter 1 . 1/17/2014
2005. Goodness, has it been such a long time ago? I remember reading Blood Ties of you and it always, always stayed with me. It was one of the best writings I have ever read (including official literature). I was much younger back then, but I literally quivered in my bed reading the horror you managed to convey perfectly through the screen.

Blood Ties is not here, but this story is. I remember reading this one as well, but I can't exactly recall what happened. Reading the first chapter over again, I can understand why you were such a captivating writer to me. It really is wonderfully done. You should try something original and try to get published. It's really good. I would definitely consider buying it.
BLANDCorporatio chapter 1 . 12/9/2013
Now that's one way to start a story, yes. The characters are nigh buckling from the intense strain, emotional and otherwise; where on Earth could you go next? Guess I'll have to see ;)

My favorite bit was the beginning with Ashley. "Nothing" (much) happens, but her fear is palpable, as well as her waning hope. Did a double take when the parasite was mentioned- despite her obvious distress, I was still surprised she has an internal cause for it as well.

Leon's no slouch in the characterization department either, since he has the heroic facade versus inner doubts conflict as well. And now that I look at it again, you actually state it as such, but on a first read through it seemed more subtle. It doesn't seem like you ever stop and tell us, oi, this character's afraid now. You use every trick to convey emotion through inner sensation as well as description (from the many names Ashley gives to the island facility to Leon's observation that yes the arm restraints have a point), so it never feels like cheating when you tell us (in Leon's inner voice, of course), "He was the hero, here to save the day, not fidget even if he now gripped the arm rests with cold stiff hands. Fearless, yeah right."

The whole chapter is at a fairly intense level; the characters are about to break down. So I suppose I should be grateful for the moments of levity (Leon thinking of a leash, later a muzzle, for Ashley; the first description of the chair; Ashley seeming to forget her terror as she asks "This hunk of junk?"- or that's how I read it, more like Luke on seeing the Millenium Falcon). They seem oddly out of place though. Ashely's comment on the chair reads 'wrong' to me, but maybe because I now forever associate 'what a piece of junk' with how Mark Hammil said it. Leon first commenting on the chair seems like a wink to the audience that the premise is a bit 50s monster movie. I'm with you already and buying the premise wholesale, no need for the wink. I suppose the leash and muzzle are all right, though having Leon be mildly annoyed seemed incongruous in a chapter where he's otherwise struggling to stay human :P

I do hope these two get some R&R though. They need it.
iori089 chapter 11 . 10/30/2013
I'm glad to hear that you will finish rare,been waiting for a very long time,can't wait .
Yuukilover chapter 11 . 9/5/2013
Wondering still after a year if your still going to finish this. Please do!
SwimmyIsMyName chapter 3 . 8/2/2013
Poor Beret...
TheLazydrawn chapter 11 . 2/23/2013
I... didn't expect to read this through. But now that i have reached the end, i find myself craving more. I don't know if it's your writing or if it's just a damn good story, maybe both, however there's just something unique and curious about this AU. The whole background you added to the las Plagas is pretty clever, and it gives one another perspective of the RE-verse.
Also, i love how you use Leon's ability to read auras, it's just wonderfully fun to read!

So... Great story, keep it up, and hope you update soon.
Guest chapter 11 . 1/12/2013
hopen for an update soon, need to get the bad taste out of my mouth after having watched yet another disastrous resident evil movie.
anon chapter 11 . 11/30/2012
please update soon,really like your story
Guest chapter 11 . 11/4/2012
Holy shiitake mushrooms this story is amazing! It's beautifully written...while I was reading it I was wondering if. Ideas actually going crazy. You did a fantastic job, you brilliant author, you!
Skye Guardian chapter 11 . 8/23/2012
I gotta admit this really caught my attention...Please update.