Reviews for To Have a Friend
awww!
well written
Hannon-le!
Desertfyre chapter 1 . 4/30/2010
Yay! They became friends! Awesome story!
Enigma chapter 1 . 7/22/2007
Love love love. Steelelf, when it comes to Aragorn and Faramir fluff (Not slash mind you) you are the best of the best! Great fic!
Fili chapter 1 . 1/22/2007
Excellent story, sweet and sad at the same time.

I particularly liked the line "and Eowyn… well, they were lucky if they could get her to stop talking about him!"

I once stumbled across a story where Eowyn didn't really love Faramir, I'm still nursing scars from that. The reassurance you provided was very comforting.

" it had been pointed out that to be boon companions with a commoner was not seemly. His only response to that was to think expletives." *falls over laughing* Very good, yes Precious!

Also liked "He looked enough like Boromir to make people look twice. Then you noticed the height and weight difference." Reminds me of the first time I saw T, and couldn't figure out who in the world that Ranger was!

Again, very good, I loved it :)
StarofElendil chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
That brought a smile to my face!
Deandra chapter 1 . 5/29/2006
Some lovely imagery here:

"When one is a ranger a long time, one learns to hear even the softest of foot falls."

and

"Faramir’s expression did not change, but he eased his weight to his left leg. In anyone else, that would be the equivalent of scuffling his feet with embarrassment or nervousness."

One thing you should maybe consider watching is the tendency to get too modern and use "slang" (ie. "someone who won’t kiss up to me" and "he means a lot to you"). That tends to distract from your story. Avoiding contractions also helps to keep the language a bit "truer" to the time and place you are working with, though that doesn't jump out so much as modern phrases do.

You've written some lovely pieces. The one about the orc ("It Is Beautiful") was particularly unique and interesting, especially the ending.

- Deandra
Nelarun chapter 1 . 3/22/2006
that was amazingly written... It was beautiful...

Nelarun of Australia
MAEday chapter 1 . 7/14/2005
Oh, I love this story! I can't believe I haven't read this yet. It's so sweet!
Illwynd chapter 1 . 7/5/2005
Hiya! Just here to return the favor for the kind review of one of my fics... I liked the combination of humor and feeling in this story. I really liked your opening paragraph, really vivid, and I could viscerally feel both men's loneliness, and the "Talking to the dog or me?" "The dog." That bit was great! Haha I love it!... Others have pointed out a few minor errors here and there, and there were a few more that I noticed, but those didn't really detract from the story. You might want to get someone to proofread anyway, just for those little things that you don't notice since you're so close to the story, or if you can't, try reading the story backwards. Anyhow, I like this muchly! Good work!
Skai07 chapter 1 . 3/23/2005
Ooh...i lub dis fic! I lub Faramir! Lolz, u sersiously are a talented writer, besides Tolkien. Hehe...bubaiz!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 2/23/2005
I enjoyed this story very much.I hope you will write more about Aragorn and Faramir.
IceAngel7 chapter 1 . 2/21/2005
lovely :D
grumpy chapter 1 . 2/14/2005
very good story, glad that Aragorn and Farmir are going to be friends. Love the idea of the dog, and the dog's name.
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 2/14/2005
A sweet story. Usually Aragorn-friendship stories in LOTR fanfic involve hunting trips or military expeditions, ambushes and wounds. But here, Faramir gives a mighty gift indeed to Aragorn. (not sure that the 'gift' would 'bow' though, maybe sit or rise)

"“How are you doing, melanin?”" - do you mean 'mellon-nin', which is Sindarin for 'my friend'? "melanin" is a real-life word that has something to do with skin pigment.

There's a typo in the last line.

I want a sequel!
Elenhin chapter 1 . 2/14/2005
You are amazing, do you know that. That was amazing.

I was enthrallad at the beginning, as Aragorn pondered the fact that he was lonly and thought about Faramir. I loved the Eomer said that, Legolas said that, and one could not get Eowyn to shut up. So hilariously amusing.

I like it as a part of your other tale, for me it fits to stand alone, I do not know where in the other tale it shoul go, but it gives more depth to that tale.

I also loved it when Faramir shifted his weight over to his left leg, the equalient of someone shuffling their feet.

I have been trained in standing at attention and at ease, so I know the posture, and how you shift just a little so as not to freeze up before you have to march again. So I liked that small, probebly unconxious thing.

I am eagerly looking forward to see what you write next.

Kindest Regards, Elenhin/Mat the Starchild