Reviews for Eyes of the Jackal
Ashley chapter 39 . 6/8
I come back and read this fic every so often and each time I'm floored. It's so hauntingly beautiful. I'm a sucker for the E/R you've written. So in character, so angsty. Love the slow burn.
Though the story pulls at the heart strings, I think what brings me the most sadness is your absence. When an author hasn't been seen for some time it makes me incredibly depressed. I only hope that you are doing well. No one is ever obligated to continue creating fan works, of course, but I certainly miss the updates on the sequel to this story. The Phantom is such a small fandom, and you are a marvelous and much needed addition, especially for us Erik and Raoul shippers. If you have left FanFiction, it is truly a shame. I hope you are continuing to write in some capacity because you have such a skill with words.
Thank you so much for sharing this story. I will continue to return and read it and marvel at it each time.
epwhales chapter 1 . 1/4/2019
Aaah I read this a few months back and I was afraid that I'd never find it again, but here it is and I'm saving this forever!
This was so good and the perfect amount of burn :'')
Pin3appl3 chapter 39 . 5/18/2016
Ha, HA! Excellent piece, mon (ou ma) ami(e)! What a wonderful take on the story - what a twist! What a tear-jerking, knee-pulling, existential crisis of a story! Took me around the block a couple of times, that's for sure.

You did well, friend. Great work, keep it up, proud of you. Appreciate, ya.
Ellen Weaver chapter 39 . 6/6/2014
I know it's been almost a decade since this story was first published, but I read it all in one sitting. Fearsome characters, complicated and dark feelings, and a believable alternative relationship. There's this style to the whole thing too, with an economy of words-not too many or too few, but just the right ones. It was also extremely sexy and borderline depressing, which go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Really nice stuff, and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.
Reviews to Master chapter 39 . 9/5/2013
You know this chapter killed me when I read it yesterday. No joke I was trembling at the end.

Trembling.

Dude.

So that pretty much sums up my feelings of this story. And the other one.

Think I'm gonna read this again.

Amazing job. AGAIN.
anna chapter 39 . 4/14/2013
beautiful
wingfish chapter 39 . 3/28/2013
Saddest story ever, really. Had to read it on a spot, and it tore at my heart. How both of them had to be like this... Ow
QueenPara chapter 12 . 1/16/2012
As soon as I read what Erik said about violins, I was like "YES NOT A VIOLA JOKE"

Anyway, I really like the story! Your writing style fits the ficlets very well.
Kidnapkid chapter 39 . 2/7/2011
Stupid mobil web won't let me type in capital letters for some reason so excuse my gremmer. This was a really good fic. I really enjoyed reading it. Poor raoul. Poor erik. Sniffle. I want to hug both of them.
Kidiu chapter 39 . 11/8/2010
Ohmygod, this was written so well, so beautifully, and never out of character! How gradually you made them grow close, I love. I absolutely adore this story! Completely!

And now I'm pissed. I'm very unhappy with the ending, I just wanna cry. But god! Now, I;m gonna spend another sleepless night reading the sequel! Which, I thank you immensely for!

Really, though, I am amazed by your style, it just makes this story flow. I've not seen some of the shows and movies you've got fiction for, but I'm gonna go watch them; just so I can read more by you.
dimorphic chapter 39 . 2/14/2010
I've read this too many times. It still makes my heart ache.

I think perhaps this is the only PotO piece; definitely the only slash piece; perhaps one of a few of the (very many) stories I have read in all fandoms, where the characters so seemingly incompatible in canon fall together so masterfully, while staying in character. You write sheer poetry with the words dripping horror and beauty, and not once was it overdone or ridiculous. The plot held through, both Raoul and Erik were brilliant, and you have picked the only conceivable way they could work and shot the target right in the centre. I can't think of a way this could be more realistic. From deep character introspection to fist fights to sex scenes, this is truly amazing.

There are some missed out words and typos, and sometimes I reckon rogue commas, but really I could not care less. If every story here were an opera, this would be the Phantom's Don Juan Triumphant.
Quillweave chapter 39 . 7/24/2009
A friend told me to read this, and I'm utterly grateful she did. Thank you.
Dian Samuelson chapter 39 . 11/20/2008
wow, what an ending. Super depressing but very powerfull. I must say, one of the best fanfics i've ever read.

Cheers.
BummKing chapter 39 . 8/10/2008
Oh god, that's a story that really rips you open. Ignoring that I just spend four and a half hours straight at my computer reading this start to finish, this is absolutely stunning. Finding good POTO fics is nearly impossible, but this one is a real gem. Though I'm a slash fan, I knew from the start of my search that I wanted to avoid RaoulxErik slash at all costs. A tender confession from both of them ("Oh Raoul, all the time I watched Christine, I only wanted you, you, YOU!") would make me want to vomit, and I nearly dismissed this one for that reason. I'm so glad I didn't. Here, the sniveling pleading Phantom who uses violence when he is scorned is replaced by a domineering, powerful and (dare I say it?) sexy one. Even in the most brutal scenes, there's a subtle sexuality underlying, and I LOVE it. Those scenes were hotter than many outright unf-unf-unf scenes I've read and I was almost sad when you announced in a note the last abuse scene, because it meant segueing into tender love confessions and wrecking the seamless ethereality of the rest of it. How wrong I was. The segue to love is artfully done, a slow progression. There is a strange reality to Raoul bartering for his life when he has nothing to offer but his body, which becomes a fascination which, ever so delicately, is eventually reciprocated. And whereas many fics with a good build-up are over and done with the excitement after the tension is relieved (i.e. characters boinking), every scene after that was hungered after. You kept the plot, too, a point which is often overlooked in favor of hot sex, and though his actions change, the Phantom still remains himself. I can barely go in to the ending here, because the whole time I read it, my heart was beating frantically, and I felt like I was going to throw up. Rarely do I read anything that painful. My one complaint is that it was almost too painful...a contradiction even for me. It is clear that there can be no perfect happy ending...they can hardly stay in the Erik's lair forever, having hot sex in darkness until they grow old and die, but Erik will not let himself change enough to emerge. I knew they had to part ways, Raoul is unchangeably light in all its idealism and simplicity, while the Phantom is darkness in all its facets, but his ongoing pain at his inability to change, his suicide, casting Erik out, it was 36 chapters of pure bliss that suddenly spiralled into misery in a way that almost felt like it was manipulating my emotions unnecessarily... I will also confess to be one of the many stereotypical fangirls disliking Raoul. He was such pure and simple goodness, wanting only noble love, a true hero and, once again, a perfect personification of light, oblivious to all that his brightness does not touch. I never saw him as compatible with the Phantom, his brash, unrelenting striving for goodness seemed precisely the reason he could not be with a creature so irrevocably dark. Now I can see all the more the elegance of their pairing, the yin and yang counterpoints of their relationship. That union of opposites makes their dance all the more exquisite, especially because neither of them truly abandons their values. Though Raoul is certainly changed by the end, it is more of a boy-to-man conversion, which comes with a certain darkness, rather than a corruption. He sees light not just for its illumination, but for what it is, that it can be "cold and unfeeling" as Erik states. I have gained a new respect for Raoul with this, which is no simple feat. But at the risk of surrendering all my self-respect to groveling (too late) I'll wrap this up. Overall a startling story, every action brilliantly described, painfully beautiful, love love love.

/gush
Tie-dyed Trickster chapter 23 . 4/8/2008
I find it amazing how well Raoul is surviving - as in staying sane. I'd have gone mad or been killed by this point. Not from the torture or beatings (okay, maybe from the torture and beatings - I will admitt that I'm pretty small and boney to start with...) but from the lack of physical contact. I'm an extremely tactile person; I can go without it for awhile, but I need contact with another human being after a certain amount of time has passed, or else I begin to come slightly unhinged... This story is bloody brilliant, btw.