Reviews for Eyes of the Jackal
noonecurr12345 chapter 19 . 6/14/2005
I've been reading PhantomSlash. All. Night. It's now 6am. All I want to go to sleep. But... Then... I find this... This wonderful, long, LONG story. AND it hits my stockholm button. Goddamnit. Guess I'll be here another few hours.
deathlesscaress chapter 39 . 6/6/2005
that was a great story. you are an extreamly talented writer. the way you kept it from being too graphic and crude, and yet still the smutty story you intended it to be. as i said, talent. thanks for sharing it. i just might have to read the sequal.

-emily
Phanatic chapter 1 . 6/3/2005
oh, i h8 christine for saying that. Erik is not a monster... it depends on who's veiw it is. great story!
Tango1 chapter 39 . 6/2/2005
What a terrific story! I applaud your characterisation of both Erik and Raoul, and I particularly loved the atmospheric "locked room" drama. The tension builds and builds to unbelievable levels - both the violence and the gentleness are exceptionally well-drawn and completely believable.

Your writing style is such a pleasure to read! It's beautiful but also taut and precise, and your imagery is poetic without being overblown. I really love that you are so in control of the writing, you never give the impression of letting the characters or story run amok. For me as a reader, that is one of the best feelings, just to be able to sit back and let the story take over.

Thank you so much for writing, and I'm really looking forward to the sequel!
Culumacilinte chapter 39 . 5/23/2005
*is speechless* Gods above, that was... amazing. Absolutely, bloody amazing. The characterizations were spot on, and the sex as wonderful. The whole Stockholm Syndrome thing was wonderfully done, very convincing, and I loved how, even as Raoul found himself getting fond of Erik, he would be reminded how much he feared him as well.

Amazing. Beatiful. I commend thee.
TheLastNightingale chapter 39 . 5/9/2005
This is, without question, the finest piece of fanfiction I have ever read, and the fact that it revolves solely around my two favourite characters is a huge bonus. Your command of language is nothing short of astounding. With so few words you manage to evoke more than most writers could accomplish with whole pages of prose. Perhaps more importantly, however, you kept the characters true to their original parameters, while still warping them just enough to allow them to fall in love with each other.

It’s the sickness of their relationship that really appeals. They are both trapped in the madness of Erik’s dark world, and there is no level to their relationship that would be considered by any means normal or acceptable. This is no fluffy romance by any means. Both Erik and Raoul have shown that they are both capable of great hate and malice, and the masochistic element between them is, at times, unsettling (though oh so hot!). And yet despite this all, I find myself hoping that *somehow* they make it work.

I think that’s the beauty of this fic. You have given us two characters who are touched by both darkness and light, and we find ourselves genuinely caring about what happens to them. Towards the end of the fic, when Raoul was finally beginning to breach Erik’s defences, I honestly though that you were guiding us towards a happy ending...and that made the final disaster all the more tragic. What an utterly devastating way to end the tale, but so perfectly ‘right’ at the same time. I applaud your bravery.

Anyway, I’ve wasted enough of your time. I’m going to start reading the sequel right away! Thank you so much for sharing this gem with us!
Erin of the Wood chapter 39 . 5/9/2005
That was beautiful, it has such a sad ending.

I agree that even slash and yaoi needs plot and you did a wonderful job, a few grammerish problems but I will recomend this to a friend.
Acharnae chapter 18 . 4/15/2005
"Raoul’s response to Erik’s touch is not horrified or disgusted. It is much like a cat leaning into the hand of its master, adoringly. Longing, even."

Yes, that's pretty much it - Raoul has become, in may ways, a pet, to be stroked or punished or kicked away, fed or not fed, without so much as a thought of justification.

The "You're getting strong" has something omnious to it... I doubt that Erik will approve of his prisoner/pet/companion gainging strength.
Acharnae chapter 17 . 4/15/2005
"More than that, he worries, because now he seeks approval."

Stockholm syndrom, didn't I know it.

I'm amazed how you manage to make the whole scenario come so alive with so few words - all the crucial elements, boredom, fear, no hope of escape or rescue, and the only company and possible friend is his prison guard and torturer.
Acharnae chapter 7 . 4/14/2005
Wow.

You make me quite envious, the way you condense a situation, complete with state of mind and emotions, into so few words. I can practically feel Raoul drifting through different stages of fear, despair and madness. Towards a Stockholm syndrom, I suspect.
Firstmate Fizz chapter 8 . 4/13/2005
Wonderful story. Very interesting. I found the sequel and decided to read the original first, and I am enjoying it.
Kat chapter 39 . 4/8/2005
*Sniff* That was beautiful. I was actually crying at the end! I can't believe Erik going to die alone! *Cuddles Erik* That was horribly brilliant I don't know anyone else who could write any better.

You HAVE to write another, it'd be a crime not to. I wait patiently, I'll go buy some tissues for the next one just in case. Even if the next isn't sad, I'm sure it'll be brilliant.
unknown chapter 39 . 4/7/2005
Wow, this story is beautiful. It's addicting and I loved every single chapter. You have a brilliant way with words. Excellent job.
Becky chapter 39 . 4/3/2005
The story of a possible Erik/Raoul relationship is a direction I had always wondered about, but never had the courage to explore. You have done a marvelous job of taking this possibility and making into something real, something almost beautiful. Seeing Raoul's suffering at the hands of the Phantom is something we are not priviledged to see in the books or musicals or movies - it is an important aspect of the entire Phantom of the Opera equation. Thank you for having the courage to explore this road in such a beautiful, drawing way. Your ways of writing have drawn me into this story and I couldn't wait for you to post the ending, as I knew I couldn't imagine how the story would end. Again, thank you for your wonderful story. Keep up the good work!
kaput chapter 39 . 4/3/2005
Wow, that was the perfect way to end the story -such a powerful last line! I just spent the past two days reading this magnificent piece, and I am in utter awe. You have managed to keep both Raoul and Erik in character in a situation where it would be nigh impossible to do so, which shows how deeply you understand these characters. I especially love all the sado-masochistic facets to the relationship; they were simply delectable, and, truly, for any kind of 'romance' to exist between these guys, I think that it would have to entail something akin to that mix of pleasure and pain. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be as realistic, yanno?

Any road, this is just lovely. You have a marvellous talent, and I thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. Bravissimi!
293 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »