Reviews for Snowfall
Whitetree-Nimloth chapter 7 . 12/12/2012
Powerful story. You got the mood perfectly. Some scene transitions are a bit weird though.
ferryboat George chapter 7 . 10/21/2007
I almost didn't read this because I knew it would be sad, but it was still very beautiful.
the sacred night chapter 7 . 6/3/2006
I really like this. We see Tomoe's death scene all the time, and we see him reflect on her death many years later a lot, but we very rarely get to see what his life was like immediately following her death, and the initial grieving process. Really nicely done. And I would never have known that you have little experience with snow.
skenshingumi chapter 7 . 5/29/2006
Some beautiful moments in this chapter. I liked "Neat, carefully quartered logs he’d chopped with his own hands. He stared at it piled up haphazardly in the ditch, wood that had been intended for their fire not a funeral pyre." I thought that was a wonderful way to show a hopeful future dashed in a sad reality. His concern for the unceremonious nature also rings true, especially as Tomoe was always so quietly elegant. He falls short once again, remembering "The women in his life, the women he should have protected, always seemed to die trying to protect him." Who wouldn't feel racked by guilt after losing every important woman in his life?

I like how you stayed true to the mange throughout. I like the OVA but you can’t be the original source material in my opinion.

Hope your dogs stay well.
skenshingumi chapter 6 . 5/29/2006
Perhaps this was a difficult chapter to write because Kenshin is now truly awake and alone with only his thoughts. You capture this lonely vigil very well, the bleakness of the night and the blackness of the time caught between night and day a good metaphor for his mind and heart. Here he has no escape, haunted by his promise to Tomoe, his master's warnings, his edgy fear of being hunted and his own past. Perhaps the saddest and hardest reality to all who grieve is the realization that "He couldn’t help it, he didn’t want to live but he didn’t want to die either. The hot blood in his veins continued to circulate with each strong steady heart beat."
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 7 . 4/30/2006
Your work is always lovely to read. Your descriptive detail is suberb, from the sound of Tomoe's diary pages rustled by the wind, to the sight of Kenshin's puffs of breath in the cold air as he labors to build the pyre, to the feel of Kenshin's ponytail flicking his face...Your writing appeals to all the senses, which makes reading it like digging into a bowl of English Trifle. There's so many layers, and all of it's good!
xZig-zagx chapter 7 . 4/19/2006
Heh, I was going to mention that techincally in the manga they never mentioned him burning his house down, but seeing the very end tells me you've already read the manga.

My favorite line in this chapter was the: The women in his life, the women he should have protected, always seemed to die trying to protect him. So very true, sums things up very well. I loved it.

Beautifully sad chapter. Great job writing it! I hope your dog feels better!
cardinal chapter 7 . 4/18/2006
Lovely job. I'm slightly envious of your style. About the house burning, correct me if I've misremembered, but he didn't burn the house in the manga, yes? I've also always found it strange that American audiences always seem to prefer that they weren't married in the OVAs. In the manga they were married. To me the bond of marriage made the tragedy of her death greater. Thanks!
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 7 . 4/17/2006
You're quite right about Kenshin not burning down the house. He does no such thing in the manga.

I'm glad your dog is well again too.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 6 . 3/14/2006
Beautiful.

The way you give such sensory detail of Kenshin's lonely vigil as he watched by Tomoe's body - the color of the ashes, the coldness of the air, then blend in Kenshin's inner turmoil, his dreams, memories, and current situation, and you've got one heck of a chapter.

Awesome writing!
xZig-zagx chapter 6 . 3/14/2006
Aw, what a sad (but GOOD!) chapter! Very emotional. I think you did a great job keeping Kenshin in character. I loved this one sentance: Yet they had communicated with a thousand silent gestures. The tilt of a head, the flick of an eyebrow, or a steady questioning gaze, it was enough. It was very true to their relationship. I loved it!

Great chapter! Keep up the good work!
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 6 . 3/14/2006
I could almost feel Kenshin's agony as my own. Can't wait for the next chapter.
VyxenSkye chapter 6 . 3/14/2006
Nice chapter, update soon please!

Ja ne!
skenshingumi chapter 5 . 1/15/2006
I think this story won't die because you seem to have some psychic connection to the material. Each chapter is a beautifully evoked revelation of events and emotions. I loved you description of Kenshin walking in the snow, the way is glassy eyed, yet determined, sweating and panting yet walking straight back though slump shouldered, the deadness within and the determination coming through. I thought the touch of Shino's hand was a lovely moment as Kenshin first recoils inwardly and then pulls back from the brink. His feeling of self loathing and need for isolation that he feels here seems to foreshadow his future in many ways. Perhaps this is what makes him so edgy once he is alone, realizing he doesn't desire isolation but is afraid he needs it to protect himself and others. I liked how you highlight that even though Kenshin is quiet he isn't solitary, a fine distinction.
skenshingumi chapter 4 . 1/15/2006
I thought this chapter was less lyrical than the earlier ones. I don't think that was bad, just different. Even the opening focuses on the earth, on tripping on roots, on getting food for dinner. I think there was a dream like quality to the earlier chapters, well suited to the focus on death. Now that Kenshin is awake, the physical and spiritual aftermath of death has to be confronted. I like how Kenshin is caught between the two, lost in his bloody dreams and thoughts of what next and yet trying to deal with the reality of his wounds of and trying not to frighten his neighbors. I have really enjoyed how you have expanded this one shot into a thoughtful compilation of events around the most significant event in Kenshin’s life.
51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »