Reviews for The Pride of This Empire
Fenris Jin chapter 6 . 3/24/2016
Kudos for Severus' very Slytherin move. Harry walked right into that one! XD
Fenris Jin chapter 5 . 3/24/2016
I think I like the idea that Percy was actually an Order personnel who placed himself close to the Minister. That would be cool of him. :)
Fenris Jin chapter 3 . 3/24/2016
Whoa. But Severus observed Seamus as a child quite often during the last chapter.. So are they really ghosts?
Fenris Jin chapter 2 . 3/24/2016
Yes, very interesting indeed. Is that Mr. Finnegan? I think it's nice that Severus has a Gryffindor follower. XD
Fenris Jin chapter 1 . 3/24/2016
This sounds like an interesting read. :)
whitehound chapter 33 . 5/18/2015
You very nearly worked it all out about the Horcruxes, there, before HBP was published.

Well done - great story.
whitehound chapter 27 . 5/18/2015
My impression is that Tom was meant to be a hard-wired psychopath. But that's something he can be pitied for, at least, because he had no choice about it. And a better upbringing would have left him as cold and a bit of a bully, rather than an outright monster.

And yes, it's perfectly reasonable for wizards to fear Muggles. It doesn't matter much how powerful you are if your opponents outnumber you 6,000 to one, and if Muggles found out about wizards they would probably want to experiment on them.
whitehound chapter 24 . 5/18/2015
Yes, it would be better for Tom himself to die and start over - although it sounds as though it didn't work.

The idea that Harry was half-starved is almost entirely fanon, not canon, and his cupboard was big enough to hold a proper bed, Harry and Vernon at the same time without difficulty, so it was the size of a small room rather than a tiny closet.
whitehound chapter 23 . 5/18/2015
Yes, "Dark" seems to be used of anything unauthorised or transgressive, from monstrous evil all the way down to Goth lifestyle accessories. It can't just mean "intentionally evil", because many wizards believe that a 15-month-old baby can be a great Dark wizard.

It's not just about the witch burnings. Think about what the world was like in the 1970s. Many Muggles believed sincerely that Muggles were about to destroy the world in nuclear holocaust. There was widespread panic about pollution and poor air quality. Here in Britain in particular we had the three-day-week, where businesses were only allowed to operate for three days a week in order to conserve electricity. Refuse collectors were on strike, and terrorism was an established fact of life. There were regular power outages, and the punk movement, with its stylised rejection of all established order, was at its height. *Of course* many wizards would think that the world would be a better and safer place if they took over.
whitehound chapter 20 . 5/18/2015
... though Snape complained, loudly and often, he never threatened to quit ...

Yes, quite. I once described another ficcer's HGSS story as being quintessential Snape because it showed him "Doing the Right Thing with exemplary courage whilst bitching about it the whole way."
whitehound chapter 19 . 5/18/2015
I'm glad you're being fair to Percy - few fanwriters are.

It might be possible to kill Voldie with love. Someone could will him dead because he's gone too far down the wrong path, and needs to be sent back to start over for his own sake, as well as everybody else's.
whitehound chapter 18 . 5/18/2015
I would guess Voldie is a hard-wired, full-bore psychopath, which means he can't love anyone but himself. It's not his fault, he just doesn't have the wiring for it.
whitehound chapter 17 . 5/18/2015
I suppose what Seamus has is Aids of a strain resistant to antiretroviral drugs.

I'm not sure about Remus being decent and good, or that Severus would ever think he was. He's not bad, exactly - the fact that he disliked the use of Dementors on prisoners even if they were guilty suggests that he's basically fairly kind, and he came to dislike what Pottermore calls the Marauders' "relentless bullying" of Severus.

But his is the first voice on the Map to insult Snape, very viciously. He put Snape into a ridiculous and humiliating position over the Boggart lesson, as well as exposing the children's inner fears in a very invasive and dangerous way, and very clearly did not behave towards Snape as to a respected colleague, instead lying to him and siding with misbehaving students against him. As a prefect he turned a blind eye to his friends' misbehaviour, and as a teacher he concealed information the lack of which could easily have led to Harry's death, had matters been as he believed, and he did so just to save face. He told a bare-faced lie about the reasons for the enmity between Snape and the Marauders. As a boy, he willingly took part in dangerous escpades which he knew meant exposing innocent bystanders to the risk of being infected or killed. He and Sirius were planning to execute Peter in cold blood as he begged for mercy, while three children watched - Remus was the instigator, and he rolled up his sleeves, suggesting that he meant the execution to be a bloody one. He knowingly walked out under the full moon in the presence of three children (one of them lame), a sick friend, an unconscious colleague and a prisoner, endangering all of them. He kept a captive animal (a Grindylow) and encouraged the children to break its bones. When Harry accused him of being a coward, he threw Harry into a wall.

He *is* quite kind, and generally means well, but in the books he's deeply unreliable and sets his own interests over other people's lives. I suspect he's more canine than human, for good or ill.
whitehound chapter 13 . 5/17/2015
Clever use of a minor canon character.
whitehound chapter 12 . 5/17/2015
Loose Canon, the HP discussion group I mod, recently had a long debate about whether the existence of the blood protection on Harry meant that Lily had had performed some specific magic or whether it was just a consequence of her sacrifice. We didn't reach any firm conclusion.

I like your explanation of how magic developed - it's clever and convincing.
136 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »