Reviews for Myst IV: Satirization
RainAndRoses chapter 1 . 3/9/2014
I read this a few years back, and just came across it again. It's even more hilarious than I remembered it. Very good job! I read it aloud to my brother and we both had a great laugh, especially with the whole "Dream" sequence and Big Steve... oh god, frickin Serenia, lol.

For some reason, that "Love, Atrus" at the end of the opening letter cracks me up so bad - I can't even explain why. Same with the "Intruders DO NOT READ!" on his clue to the fireplace puzzle. All I can picture is Atrus writing that, and sitting back with a satisfied smile, nodding to himself: "Yes, that should definitely do the trick!" XD

I feel like there were a few missed jokes in some places, but not many. There were some other heart-attack-inducing scenes for me in the game (one that always makes me jump is when you go in to talk to the 'Protectors', and that one hippie-lady in her freaky mask is SUDDENLY STANDING ONE INCH AWAY FROM YOUR FACE), and also, maybe this is just on my computer, but it was INFURIATINGLY hard to carry that stupid dandelion seed to the spirit without it popping or whatever. But you hit most of the main things I hoped for, and you actually made me think about some things I never thought about before (seriously, why ISN'T Sirrus more pissed off to see the Stranger again?... Also, wait a minute, if in this game they were in "Prison Ages" instead of "Prison Books," how exactly did he recognize the Stranger at all? *baffled*)

Also, I love Necklace. _

Love this game, but so easy to make fun of. Speaking of that: you wouldn't be interested in doing a Myst V parody, would you? (If you have already, then just ignore this comment, as I am about to go searching to see if you have, so I'll probably find it). Anyway, great work! :D
NazoFox2501 chapter 9 . 4/30/2012
I will admit, Myst 4 is my favorite Myst game, yet I still love your parody. Is there any chance that you'll be doing parodies on the other games? I would love it if you do!
Anastasoula chapter 9 . 9/5/2011
Best. Story. Ever.

I haven't played Myst is FOREVER but you totally portrayed my exact thoughts while I was playing the game. Especially the parts about tapping things for 5 minutes, the unnecissary puzzles, and my reaction to not being able to take any of the gold from under the wooden boards. (Minus the cursing, that is.)

It's be awesome if you made another commentary fanfic for other Myst games, but I'm glad you did this one:)
Isaacivan chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
'Dramatês personae'

Enter the nerd!

Anyway, very fun. You probably have played Myst V, but it too is 'character intensive'. Meh.

-Isaacivan
Thurhame chapter 1 . 12/9/2008
I love it! Absolutely hilarious, yet so true!

PS. Two things: First, Yeesha's slang; she probably learned it from the Stranger. After all, he/she has been friends with her father her whole life. So it's not really incongruous. Second, you forgot to mention that in Myst, Sirrus is in the red book and Achenar is in the blue book; while in Myst IV, Sirrus was in the blue book (Spire) and Achenar was in the red book (Haven). But please don't let my critiques make you think I don't like your story. I do, a lot, and these are only minor things at best.
Nexus Prime chapter 2 . 10/14/2007
lol, I love this story.

"the clouds! they... they move!"

"hey, this is so cool! my beetles are having sex!"

I always thought Yeesha was a little too smart for her age.
Three-Eyed Squirrels chapter 7 . 8/3/2007
I really enjoyed Revelation...maybe because I'm used to finding all the good stuff hiding behind layers of cheese in all kinds of things and it just kind of carried over into here? Or because I ignored the cheesy things and instead had far too much fun psychoanalyzing the characters because that's what the game is all about and I have much fun with that...

Either way, I love a good parody for the things that I like, haha. This had me cracking up numerous times, especially:

SIRRUS: Because the ‘Protectors’ here only protect the place in the daytime. Apparently it didn’t occur to them that intruders might be sneaky enough to come here at night. (They both snicker.)

...because that struck me as one of the most amusing/ridiculous parts of the game, haha. Smart, Protectors. Really smart.
cucio chapter 9 . 6/26/2007
Hehehe, you let the frenchies that designed Revelation off the hook too easily.

Acting was laughable, Serenia was puke-inducing in its cheesiness and Dream... well... don't ever make me think again of it... even worse than the adorable monkeys. I enjoyed a lot Spire, though.

All in all, I think you made a very complete and funny parody of the game. Some additional points I would have mentioned myself:

- I guess you have despaired of Atrus ever using lubricant in hinges, so you didn't waste any breath on it.

- The only time I had to use the help was to find the picture of one of the monkeys. This picture is behind something that you can't grab if you are as close as you can, so you have to take some distance first. How retarded is that? Doh!

I understand perfectly the need of writing something like this after the whole Revelation, and thank you for the comic relief.
Semaphora chapter 9 . 4/20/2007
My god. It has been so long.

I read this story ages ago, yet had never really reviewed and then I never really went back to it.

However, now that I've found it again, I've reminded myself of how absolutely, hillariously awesome this story is.

You are truely an EXTREMELY talented writer. I love the beginning with the moving clouds, and then with Yeesha's bluntness and the grocery list.

Oh, and the Achenar part was just so funny. I had always been wondering why it wasn't an option to pick up one of those gas masks and handing it to him at the last possible moment. Sigh. I guess he was just not supposed to live after all.

But that's not the point. I've seemed to drift FAR off my point, which had to do with my worshipping of your humorous talent. I can't wait to see what you'll do next, especially in relation to the Stranger and her tendancies.

Muchly love this one. You have earnt a place on my favorites list, my friend.

Love,

Exangeline
nightbug08 chapter 1 . 2/1/2006
and a grocery list geez
pimplobster chapter 7 . 12/15/2005
It's all so true! hahaha

I regret that i cant go on cuz i haven't beat the game yet... (you should try solving the spider chair/slider/stupid-headed rock vibrator puzzle on an xbox controller AARGH! BP)
KatelynnLynn chapter 9 . 10/22/2005
OMG! This story had me rolling on the floor the entire time! Please make some for the rest of the set! Can't wait to see more!
Artoveli chapter 1 . 9/16/2005
Whobahnobongu!, this story rocks my socks! I read the whole thing out loud to my Sister and we both agree that this is one hoopy, awsome, wonderful, fantastic, amazing fic. There should be more like it out there. Everything was so true! *sigh* I wish they'd go back to the way Riven was. That game was perfect, in my opinion! And I definately think they should stick to using actors, not animating characters like they are for Myst V. Drat it all!

In case you're interested, I've done a couple of comics about the games, one for the origional Myst:

And one for Revelation:

Incidentally, the character I imagine as I play the games is a boy. His name is Cyan and I've decided He's caught in a time bubble so he's always the same age:-)
The Absconding One chapter 9 . 8/9/2005
That was brilliant. And so true- it's a rare gamer who's never entertained thoughts like, "why the hell can't I just climb over the damn wall instead of spending three hours trying to solve this bloody puzzle?" or, "Damn it, Atrus, this is the LAST TIME I'm getting involved in your bloody family's drama!". And the Blue Meanies thing in Serenia was priceless. Excellent work.
Ravenclaw42 chapter 9 . 7/3/2005
*dying of laughter* Oh... god... YES. Being currently in the middle of solving the second Sirrus/Yeesha coversation in Dream, I can attest to having said and done nearly everything the Stranger says and does in this fic. Oh yes. I think, with the chance to go through a Myst game in real life, ANYONE would be jumping over the railings and swimming across the lakes. And mugging the hippie women for info. (The 'air of a high school cheerleader' line about hippie #2 was SO. PERFECT.)

The music video also made me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon. I sympathize.

This is excellent, I adore your take on the characters - a parody from a fan is always far better than a parody from someone who actively dislikes the source material. It's also an enormous relief to have a good snark and laugh at this game that's sucked away the last month and a half of my life, as I'm sure all Myst players would agree! _.

Great work! I love it, but even more, I appreciate you for writing it and proving that fandoms are best when they don't take themselves too seriously!