Reviews for Here There Be Monsters
Cymoril Avalon chapter 2 . 1/11/2006
First off, I want to thank you for writing a GOOD YGO fic. I got the link from GAFF, where you asked for some help. Other than a few minor details, I honestly think you're past the need for help. I certainly cannot find any heinous grammatical errors.

It's Torque, not Tork. Though honestly, even Torque still look incorrect to me, and I never saw it translated that way on scanlation sites, though those do have some...scary translations. I keep thinking it means something in car terms. ;; Torque just looks like something describing how fast a car can go or something. Just use Tauk, everyone recognizes it.

HONDA LOVE! Sort of. No one ever writes Honda, least of all IC. Yay!

I have to say, I love your writing, and it's like a breath of fresh air in this fandom.

/Treacherous light! The false sanctuary of darkness was torn away; the monster brought once more to grin in his face./

LOVE that.

However, if you're going with the Japanese names, what is "Marik" doing in there? Marik is a purely dub name. Even Kokoro no Naka is clear on that. His name is Malik, and his other half is, of course, Yami no Malik. But at least I don't see "Ryou" floating around in there. Talk about a pet peeve of mine.

And damnit, I could have sworn Yuugi's last name was Mutou. I know it's pronounced like that, but translating from Japanese is so difficult!

A YGO fic that actually deals with the cards and monsters. It's amazing how many fics completely ignore the dueling aspects, no matter how huge a portion of the anime/manga is devoted to it. I myself avoid it since I'm only now beginning to duel, so my knowledge of the rules is rather sketchy.

The Key is called the Ankh in the Japanese version.

I am definitely going to hit up the other chapters once I'm out of work and I don't have to keep hiding the damn window. And again, from every sane author still kicking around in this fandom, thank you.

Also, if it's not too much bother, since you're so damn GOOD, could you take a look at a few of my stories? You can be as harsh as you want, since I want to improve, but all my friends do is stroke my ego and I get nothing out of it. Bah
Paladius chapter 3 . 9/8/2005
This has been so very nicely written so far. And it features Honda, of all people, so that's additionally great to see. The idea seems very fascinating so far, and it's written quite well. I'm very curious to see where this is going to end up. Characterization is continually very good. Only detriment I noticed was the slight mixture of dub and Japanese information, but it didn't detract too much overall.

Again, lovely piece of work, especially with a rather neglected character as the main focus.
Andy Nonomous chapter 3 . 8/3/2005
WHY HAVEN"T YOU UPDATED YET!

I'M DYING HERE JUST WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

PLEASE UPDATE!
Inarae chapter 3 . 7/10/2005
God damn this is good. Please keep on going with this, I'm really looking forward to reading more. Thanks for writing and sharing!
Lemon-Merengue chapter 3 . 6/10/2005
I'm sure that no review on my part could do this story any justice. With that said, I hope you continue writing, and I wish you the best of luck in everything, for I'm positive that you'll become a professional writer someday.

-Rebecca (lastofthesane on LJ)
Bardicsidhe chapter 3 . 3/22/2005
Because I can't leave it at 13. That would be bad luck!

And here we meet Otogi and the rest of the crew. Anyone who writes Anzu as something more than a pretty cardboard cutout or a despicable creature deserves much, much credit. You understand the group dynamic. You get how they interact, and you write it so well.

Not to mention that your brief moments of interaction with Yami no Bakura really surprised me. Because I get the feeling that any character you want to write...you can do it. I've never seen you write Bakura before until now. And he shines.

Muahaha...squirming with anticipation for more of this story!
Bardicsidhe chapter 2 . 3/22/2005
When I first read this chapter...I was so struck by how cleverly you wove manga canon into your story. It doesn't seem forced. It -works-. This passage:

Then a familiar voice. His own voice was rendered nearly alien ...[snip]... the person I really wanted to hit..."

"...Was me," Honda finished aloud.

...Well...it made me cry. The way that Shaadi tormented Honda. When you describe the way you write what they do...you didn't do your own writing justice. You told me that he was sporking around with Honda's head because he was pissy that he couldn't do anything. *snicker* While funny...that just doesn't catch how fluidly the scene progresses - the back and forth play, Honda's attempts to brush Shaadi off despite how agitated he's getting. It's all so well done.
Bardicsidhe chapter 1 . 3/22/2005
Increasing your comment count. _ You're welcome. Working with you on this project has always been a blast, from the late-night sessions where the obsessing over a 'soul card' for Honda took a turn into an actual plot...to all the beta and the tossing ideas back and forth. I usually hate group work. But this? This hasn't been group work. This has been group play. _ *glomp*
lslines chapter 3 . 3/6/2005
*claps softly* Very good... you are talented. The characterization of Honda is, for lack of a better word, perfect. Your writing style, amazing, graceful and again, perfect. The plot, mildly confusing, yet it makes sense. The pieces that do confuse me flow with the rest of the story, thusly making them less so. The memory from Yami no Bakura I did enjoy quite thoroughly. Update this soon, and again I applaud you.

Light Fire
Ankhutenshi chapter 3 . 3/6/2005
Reading this is like drowning and not wanting to come up for air. I'm addicted. Please write more soon.
TMJones chapter 3 . 3/6/2005
oh! This is sucking me in!

And I LOVE your writing style; it's very interesting to read.
Nicole Silverwolf chapter 1 . 3/6/2005
Amazing. Can't wait to see what comes next. Really enjoying the story's direction and the excellent fleshing out of characters too often taken for granted. Please continue...you are quite talented.
Nanashio chapter 3 . 3/6/2005
Wow... _ Nicely written, with great characterization. The personality of Honda is intriguing, and most likely appreciated among Honda-fans, myself included, yep ;

Lovely, the concept of Honda acquiring the Key *applauds* I love the idea very much. Beautiful job, and I look foward to reading more _ And sorry for not noticing it sooner. You're a talented writer... hehehe, safetyshipping? . uh, never mind, my fangirl side's being weird-ish.
Hazel-Beka chapter 3 . 3/6/2005
Hazel: Another brilliant chapter. You are such an awesome writer!

Beka: This is an interesting turn of events. Instead of wanting to get rid of the key, Honda's now using it. Good for him!

Hazel: Please update soon! This is great! I'm adding it to my fave stories list
Rice Kracker chapter 3 . 3/5/2005
(falls over) WHY! WHY did you leave us off at such a nasty cliffhanger! This is awesome, and you portrayed the characters so well! An adventure with deep emotional value - YES! Please continue, I'm aching to read the rest!