Reviews for Winter 1877, date unknown
MelodyWinters chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
Wow. This is brillant! Great job :D
ThorinKiliandFili4ever chapter 1 . 1/22/2009
A great story. Very good.
RancidFarce chapter 1 . 9/25/2007
Thank you for writing this piece. It was worth the time and effort to read. As I have little knowledge of historical American literature, I can offer very little in terms of my opinion on the vocabulary used. From my limited knowledge, I was pleased to see consistent use of archaic and semi-archaic language to detail the content of this piece.

My only point of critique is that it might be appropriate in a piece like this to simplify the prose. In the film, Nathan Algren rejects the idea of being a writer. Even though the narratives that his character gives might seem to be more complex than something truly contemporary, it is a thought that might be valid.

...of course it may also be that Algren, as a character, had difficulty spelling.

But I am glad to see that you seem to have little difficulty with spelling, grammar, or execution of the English language. :) This piece has shown that - well done.
Samuraiko chapter 1 . 2/28/2007
Superb.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko
Kiwiprince chapter 1 . 5/5/2006
This is really god, sounds as if it was taken straight from the movie and if I hadn't watched it I would believe it had. Great job and keep up the good writing.
Don113 chapter 1 . 4/3/2006
One word can describe this adequately: Brilliant!
AikidoChick21 chapter 1 . 11/2/2005
Very nice. I liked the metaphors and insights on Western culture that you employed through Algren's P.O.V. It was very contemplative and I love that you keep the date a mystery.

Also, I thought that the you keep Algren in perfect character throughout the entire piece. I could hear his voice clearly reciting every bit of this. Wonderful job!

AC
Little Raven-Hawk chapter 1 . 10/18/2005
this was great...written very well. It seems like it should be in the movie...you should think about writing as a career if you have not already...you have much talent...anyway...I loved it...
Dreaming n Watercolors chapter 1 . 4/24/2005
Excellent! This reads just as if Nathan had written this himself. I'm glad they finally made a section for this wonderful movie!
Kaykoha Ayanithne chapter 1 . 3/29/2005
wow, very good. i just saw the movie, and i think this would have made a vary good, believable entry. it gives Algren's perspective well and captures his thoughts and your understanding superbly
Happy Pappy chapter 1 . 3/20/2005
Awesome. This sounds just like something Algren would write. Good, short fic.
Det0x45 chapter 1 . 3/11/2005
Well, I liked how you really got the angst and confusion of him. It's funny though how I saw that this is the only story at this time for The Last Samurai, I guess i'll have to write on now, LOL. Good job, keep up the writing.
Saavik13 chapter 1 . 3/11/2005
I quite enjoyed this entry. The language is in keeping with the film, which is hard to do. Period writting is a challenge.

thank you for writting this.

saavik
bluehazegrl chapter 1 . 3/10/2005
This was very well written. Keep up the wonderful work.
TreeHugger chapter 1 . 3/2/2005
This was absolutely perfect! It could easily have been lifted from Nathan Algren's diary. The words you chose are perfect,the cadence exactly the way Algren's journal entries were. I liked your use of the black and white pieces on a chess board, though I also thought of the Tai Ji, the icon for Yin/Yang. Perhaps Algren is the chessboard, and the pieces are both sides of himself, and his coming to be Katusura's prisoner has brought him to a place of balance at last. This was most excellent indeed! :) Bravo!