Reviews for The Forfeit Daughter
MeGoobie chapter 9 . 1/13/2007
This was amazing. I read it in one sitting and am going to go and read the next story in this series. You have a great way of building a mystery. Your characters, especially Holmes, are perfectly characterized. This is a great work. Thank you so much for posting it here! I am adding this story to my favorites, for sure.
UnseenCharacters chapter 9 . 10/8/2006
What a wonderful pastiche! I have to say, though I've not read the other reviews, that JA Lowell wasn't the only one who beat Holmes to the truth... though I seem to be doing that quite a lot reading the Sacred Writings, too. :) I look forward to reading your other work, as soon as I have time.
Jocemum chapter 9 . 8/9/2006
An excellent and enjoyable story. However, I did think that Holmes was a little too slow on the uptake as regards Harry Hant. The blue eyes, the languages, and his short time in Thurlow's service - all of these should have tipped him off. Still, I can see where Holmes's error was essential to the plot. I shall certainly read the others in the series.

Mum
Jocemum chapter 2 . 8/8/2006
I've just discovered your stories tonight, and am intrigued. After reading just two chapters, it is obvious to me that you have captured, not only the Conan Doyle style, but the characters of Holmes and Watson. I, too, am a fan of the series with Jeremy Brett, who will always remain the quintissential Holmes to me. I look forward to continuing this story, and reading the others.

Mum
amhalgaidh-wolfegurl chapter 1 . 3/15/2006
Oh... My... GOSH! This is insanely *good*! Seriously. I'm so jealous. I LOVE Sherlock Holmes to no end and I've been trying for *years* to find a good way of writing a fanfic for his stories and haven't been able to train my hand at it well enough to pull it off. But, man, you guys rock! You're style is almost, if not exactly, like Sir Athur Conan Doyle's and it feels like I'm reading one of his writings. I don't know why I haven't read this sooner! You seriously have a very avid fan over here!

amhalgaidh-wolfegurl
Susana chapter 9 . 1/23/2006
Third time in less of a year I read this story. Every time is more interesting and exciting. Thanks, authors.
Frostfyre7 chapter 8 . 1/21/2006
What an excellently written story! You capture the tone and style of Doyle and all the other great Holmes writers admirably. As a Holmes writer myself, it's nice to see others taking the time and interest to read the canon and do the research. Brava!

I am looking forward to reading the rest in this series. :)
Olive Hue chapter 9 . 1/17/2006
Noo, it's over! Oh my gosh, that was... well, frankly, adjectives fail me, it was so good. I'm still pondering over exactly what Mrs. Thurlow meant by "Do not fall off the wall, never say nevermore", other than just the admonition to Holmes not to give up. Poor Holmes... And those poor boys! They're so cute. Crap, I'm way too emotionally involved in this story. It's all your fault.

Needless to say, I've put it on my Favorites list, and now I'm off to look at the other stuff you guys have written. Keep up the excellent work!

Olive Hue chapter 8 . 1/17/2006
Uuh, so sad... I want to know what Mrs. Thurlow whispered in Holmes's ear! And dang it, only one chapter left! This story needs to be, like, eight times longer. And oh man, that made me so mad, the way that Fairfax guy spoke to Helen. It's sickening to think that that's what would really happen, too. A "carriage accident". How despicable.

But your story is not! I absolutely love it. And now I must read the last chapter!

Olive Hue chapter 7 . 1/17/2006
Oh, frick, I knew it. Somehow I KNEW that Harry Hant had something to do with it! AAGHH, this story will be the death of me!

Okay, seriously, this chapter was incredible. The scene between Thurlow and his first wife... Oh man. Heart-wrenching. Oh, it's all so good! And hey, I forgot to mention that "The Raven" is one of my favorite poems. I had even memorized a lot of it when I was in fourth or fifth grade; though I didn't have the faintest idea what "Vainly I had sought to borrow from my books surcease of sorrow" meant. Anyway, must read on! I'm dying to know what happens next!

Olive Hue chapter 6 . 1/17/2006
*sighs happily* Ah, I love this story. One of the best Sherlock Holmes pastiches I've read, officially published or not. Seriously, I encourage you guys strongly to get this published. It's freaking amazing.

As to this chapter particularly, I was cracking up at the part where the twins were pressing marriage on Helen and Harry. (As well as Holmes' "permanently raised teacup" to hide his smile.) I must say, you two really do Holmes justice. He's so in character, it's like reading the original canon. Anyway, enough of my blathering. I must keep reading!

Olive Hue chapter 5 . 1/17/2006
"If I had wished such fan like reactions on my arrival, I would have remained an actor."

Ohh, that TOTALLY made my day! Actually, this whole story did, but I'm SO glad to find someone else who shares my opinion that Holmes was an actor before he turned to detective work. In fact, I wrote a little ficlet myself on the subject. (But not a "trifling monograph".) A lot of people are skeptical, but it IS right there in Baring-Gould's book.

Anyway, yet another great chapter! I love the twins, as I said; they remind me a lot of a boy I used to baby-sit - although, of course, he's not British. And props to Helen for sticking it to Thurlow's wife! What a harpy that woman is. All right, off I go to read the next chapter!

Olive Hue chapter 4 . 1/17/2006
Okay, this is easily one of the best Sherlock Holmes fanfics I've ever read. So well written, and so moving! I don't normally get emotional, but I must admit, I got a little teary-eyed at the reunion of Thurlow and Helen. She is an amazing character, and I'm going to be disappointed when Holmes and Watson leave the Thurlow residence to meet with the rajah. God, I'm so obsessed with this story! Must keep reading, bye!

Olive Hue chapter 3 . 1/17/2006
Oh my gosh, those twins are SO cute. And I must confess, I hate Thurlow far less than I did. He's good to his boys, and he's at least TRYING to make things right, so I suppose that counts for something. Another great chapter! I loved the part when Holmes was speaking to Thurlow's wife; his second wife. "I would not wish any further inconvenience to so charming and gracious a hostess." Hahah, that was great! Anyway, I'm anxious to read the next chapter, so till then!

Olive Hue chapter 2 . 1/17/2006
Ohh, I loved this chapter. Everyone is very much in character, and Thurlow seems to get more and more repulsive, while his daughter appears to have avoided inheriting any of his weaknesses. I really like her; she's a very composed, intelligent woman. And good for her for not getting into an argument with Holmes! He can be a bit of a brat sometimes, even if it is for a good reason. And yet we still love him... I suppose not EVERYTHING has to be logical.

Anyway, great chapter! I can't wait to read the next one!

88 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »