Reviews for The Forfeit Daughter
Olive Hue chapter 2 . 1/17/2006
Ohh, I loved this chapter. Everyone is very much in character, and Thurlow seems to get more and more repulsive, while his daughter appears to have avoided inheriting any of his weaknesses. I really like her; she's a very composed, intelligent woman. And good for her for not getting into an argument with Holmes! He can be a bit of a brat sometimes, even if it is for a good reason. And yet we still love him... I suppose not EVERYTHING has to be logical.

Anyway, great chapter! I can't wait to read the next one!

-Waki
Olive Hue chapter 1 . 1/17/2006
Oh my gosh. Okay, this is so good that I have to review for each chapter, since I discovered it so late. WOW, I am impressed. This is high-quality writing right here. I can see the characters clearly in my head, and Holmes and Watson are so REAL. I absolutely loved all of Watson's little outbursts, especially that last one; and I am pleased to see that Holmes approved, as well. This Thurlow guy is "perfectly odious", as Violet Smith of the solitary cyclist would say.

And I was all set to correct you on the hazel eyes, until I read your Authors' Note. Tribute to Jeremy Brett, okay! Never mind then! Keep up the good work!

-Waki
Alina Isoldere chapter 9 . 1/7/2006
Yeah! This is what I'd call an incredible story!

I wrote last time about most of what I had to say to you, and there is little else to pronounce here. A good solid ending. (And I almost screamed in delight at the author's note.) I am very glad I stumbled upon this little corner of Fanfiction, and do hope to read the rest of your stories soon!

And Helen Thurlow is still my role model.

Hugs and much merry making,

Alina Isoldere chapter 8 . 1/7/2006
Wow. What an incredible conclusion to the entire tale! Well, until the next-the last-puzzle piece falls.

I wondered why Holmes did not research Harry from the first. It seemed rather strange that he did not even consider looking into his history. I was so sure Harry had something to do with this tragedy simply because Holmes brushed right over him, and it only made sense that there must be an inside man. I am rather disappointed that Holmes did not even consider him; but then again, the story could not have the same outcome.

I am deeply grieved by Thurlow's death; it all seems so terribly unfair and heart-wrenching. But at least they all settled their internal affairs with each other before he died; that is what truly matters in the end.

Holmes must be feeling a land of guilt right now. I sure would, at least. To be so close and yet not quite enough would torture me. I guess that's why I could never do something like that; I'd never live to see another case.

...I'm sorry, but I just can't get over the fact that Holmes didn't even consider a background check for Harry. I thought at the least that he was doing it on the side without telling anyone and then would unveil him right before anyone had a chance to die...but obviously I was wrong. It just seems unlike Holmes to take in all considerations such as a new assistant of only six months. Dang.

But this does not make me like the story less. Of course not! It is tremendously written and artfully and tastefully done. I love the characters and how in-depth they are. No Mary Sues and no god-moders! Yeah!

Well, this review is beginning to get slightly longer than I had anticipated; I wish to finish this tale tonight.

Thank you for a deeply moving story that has intrigued me for many an hour. It has been my pleasure to praise you up to the skies, for your work merits it. Thank you again for this tale!

Ever and always,

Alina Isoldere chapter 4 . 1/7/2006
Wow! I absolutely love this story! I have waited until now to review...oh, I'm not sure quite why. However, I believe this action was spurred by the river of tears I shed over the father/daughter reunion. I swear, I have not cried over a story for a very long time, but this piece simply swamped my emotions!

You have an absolutely gorgeous tone and wonderfully well-rounded characters. Helen is simply my role model now, and I terribly enjoy every moment of her interactions with the rest of the cast.

Thurlow's been greatly redeemed in my sight, and I do love his development. Well done, indeed!

I am terribly excited about the rest of the story about to unfold. I must finish them before my parents come back and take away the computer! Thank you for a wonderful tale; I am all aflutter to find out the ends of this tale!

Ever, I remain yours truly,

mugglemin chapter 2 . 1/5/2006
As you see, I'm reading your arc completely the wrong way round...however, it's not detracting from it one bit! I just needed a dose of Holmes in love to get me started, so worked backwards...kind of.

I was about to chastise you for going a bit over the top re Holmes' opinion of women, but he explained himself quite well at the end of the chapter. I should know by now that you both have a very firm grasp of character!

I'm also really impressed by the amount of research you put into it - I'm a pedant and a lover of Victorian history (and also a Brit, so it's snobs-are-us, I'm afraid). Any little queries I might have as to the historical or geographical (I live in London too!)features of the story are continually assuaged. Everything, from the types of cab available to them, to the length of time it would take Helen to walk from Baker Street to Camden Town...the attention to detail is WELL worth the effort you surely put in. Bravo, I say.
peanuts107 chapter 1 . 1/5/2006
Wow! Another fantastic opening chapter, you both really do manage to keep the characters true to their canon-selves. Another well written, well planned and intriguing story.

And as a side note Jeremy Brett is also the person whom I see when I picture Holmes too.

well done
Jennifer Jones chapter 9 . 12/12/2005
A beautifully written story- very loyal to the canon, faithful to the time and place. Deserves publication- better than several published pastiches I have read. Memorable characters, leaves the reader wanting to know what happened next! Luckily there are more stories. Only one minor complaint: The settings were so static, making the action very restricted. Only interiors of rooms, with most of the characters sitting and talking. I have not read the other tales yet, maybe you get SH and W out and about more in those. But overall, an excellent job!
Rein Elanor chapter 1 . 11/2/2005
Wow. I've just finished the first chapter, and all I can think of to say is wow. This is fantastic work. You should seriously consider having this published. Get an agent and send it to publishers! There's quite a market for Holmes pastiches, and this is one of the better ones I've read, even comparing it to those I've found in published books. Your characterization is excellent, and the writing rings true. I very much look foward to reading the rest of this story!
Holli chapter 9 . 10/29/2005
There are several things on which I base judgement when it comes to things I read: characters I like or can identify with; a good plot; at least a basic understanding of grammar; and, in the case of fan fiction, how closely the characters resemble those that I've read/ seen in canon. With your story, all of these are well statisfied.

As well as another thing I like when I read, although, I know better than just to expect it. With this story, I was moved to tears no less than three times. It's rare for me to find a fan fiction that moves me that much.

So, thank you for a very enjoyable, if messy, read. You and your story are going on my favorites.
Anna McNarin chapter 9 . 8/8/2005
Good God I cannot thank you enough for your work. I have been sifting through stories, online and published, that don't come close to the talent and effort put into this piece. I hope some day to have the patience to add such research into my own works.

It sounded odd to read Holmes' eyes as Hazel instead of grey, but I found it charming to learn it was in tribute to a wonderful actor. I'm a fan of Jeremy Brett myself, and confess to having a few of his Sherlock episodes on DVD.

I look foreward to reading the additions to your story line; also looking into your other work. Severus Snape is a character whom facinates me greatly.

Another reason I thank you for posting this is because of the offensive number of slash material surrounding Watson and Holmes on line. It's rediculous, and I'm glad that a story that shows the truth of the matter is out there.

It's been a pleasure, Anna E.A. MacAlister
Dark Gotham chapter 9 . 6/12/2005
This story is amazing (so going under favorites.) Comment to you're first author note. I love Jeremy Brett as Sherlock. All though I've seen other variations. Including some staring Basil Rathbone but Jeremy will all ways be my favorite. You portrayed Holmes nicely in this and I could here Jeremy's voice in the back of my head. Great work!
Tiger chapter 1 . 6/11/2005
fascinating! repellent client indeed...

intresting about Holmes' eyes...I always percieved them as blue, and faintly remeber this being mentioned. But it is very possible that i'm recalling another story. I think, in any case, there may be some reference to eyecolor in The Hound of the Baskervilles - seeing as it's the only Sherlock Holmes i've read! hey, i'm working on it...
Meg chapter 1 . 4/24/2005
I've only read chapter 1 so far, but woo! ::fans self:: You guys are so damn good - fun story, seems to be in the style of the times to my iggerant knowledge anyway, and I *love* the research junkie info. Kali's genitalia indeed! I'm also enjoying picking out bits (probably a bad word to use after a sentence containing the word 'genitalia') that were most likely written by Lian.
mrmistoffelees chapter 9 . 4/21/2005
I can't wait to read the Snape fic. Also, Holmes's eyes are grey. It is mentioned in the first case with Mycroft, I believe.
89 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »