Reviews for The Luzhin Defense
niewypowiedziane chapter 1 . 12/8/2012
I have re-read this story numerous times and it never ceases to amaze me, and I always manage to find something quite new, despite knowing parts of it by heart.

The way you narrate, making it consist of meaningful fragments, all built around chess references (that I admit I had to look up, and they were fascinating) - especially the sentence with retrograde analysis; it's the most accurate description of the Mustang of your interpretation. That I love. The characterization of Breda is also perfect, as we don't know much about him, but you seem to have found little details and put them together in the way that makes perfect sense and I an believe your words.

The story is bittersweet and cozy, well-crafted and unusual and I couldn't get the words out of my head for days. Thank you for such a beautiful text.
ChipsPlease chapter 1 . 8/4/2011
This is honestly - dkhgfgn gosh I wish I had better words to describe how amazing this fic is. Just the writing in it- it's beautiful. And the chess symbolism, and the little character tidbits and just everything is so well done. One of the best fics I've read.
Dontmezwitme chapter 1 . 1/26/2011
I-I can't stop shaking. It was really, really masterful. Reminds us that there are jewels still left in FFnet.
sophiekeseki chapter 1 . 5/24/2010
Whoa! that was good :D

i'm gonna think back to story and these characters whenever i play chess now xD
Tetsui chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
* jaw drops * BEAUTIFUL! You have taken Roy Mustang, a very complex character that we all know and love, and make him more complex and mysterious than ever, and love him all the more! You have a true gift for this.
fiftysix-luver chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
this. This is beautfiul.

Enough said.

Breda 3
Ruingaraf chapter 1 . 1/9/2008
Slightly confusing, but the best stories are. Excellent characterization of Breda. Loved the bits of RoyAi as well... overall excellent.
Griselda Banks chapter 1 . 8/14/2007
You are amazing.

I'm finding it hard to express all the things I want to say. I love that you used the chess metaphor used a couple times in the manga, and I especially love that you're using it for Breda, because it fits him very well. I love how you made him more than just a face, or more than just "that guy who's scared stiff of dogs." I love the detail, I love the style, I love the metaphors and thoughts and emotions... It would be faster to just say I love this fic, top to bottom. If I knew diddly-squat about chess, or was as amazingly adept with words as you are, I would have written this in an instant. We all need more fics about Mustang's subordinates whose names don't start with an 'H'.

You are amazing.
MoonStarDutchess chapter 1 . 3/8/2007
Great fic. Loved it!
Rei-Sanjo chapter 1 . 1/2/2007
Are you a professional writer? Considering it as a career? That was brilliant. Wonderful writing, all of it. Perfect discriptions, plots, everything. I especially loved the end. *favorites*
Riza Hawkeye 9 chapter 1 . 10/11/2006
this is one of my favorites ! congratulations
twinklestar120 chapter 1 . 7/31/2006
Wow. My jaw is somewhere in the vicinity of the floor at the moment.

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. (even though I had to read it three times over before half understanding it)

Well done, and I hope to read more of your stuff .
Isee chapter 1 . 3/28/2006
I can't believe I forgot to review/add this to my favorites list. I guess it's because I visited your personal archive first. This story is brilliant. Not much else to say. It's the kind of story that can be read over and over again and not get old.
words without chapter 1 . 3/21/2006
'“If I was born again,” he said, “I would probably end up in the army again. Even if I knew everything beforehand, when it came to the crucial moment I would fall in love with alchemy again. There is no choice.”'

God, just...an amazingly insightful moment in an amazingly insightful piece of work.

'That is the magicians spell. The alchemists illusion.'

You might just be one of the most talented writers out there when it comes to creating the perfect sentance/phrase.

'With Roy the problem is he equals death with rejection.

Everybody you love will reject you or die, and so the story goes, la la la, sing with me.'

wow. you got right inside Roy's character-a brilliant disection of the man.

'The key to Roy Mustang is that he is willing to sacrifice everything but his queen.'

Love the ideas that line brings with it.

'That day Roy Mustang was the only one to ask if I was okay.'

If i had any doubts about this being a wonderful fic (and trust me, i didnt) that line just clinched it for me. wonderful ending.

Bleh, sorry for the long review...but, honestly, this is a breathtaking fic right here. it's so deep that i know i'm only getting about half of it (which is annoying because i'd love to be able to experience this on the leval it was meant to be experienced on, rather then the weak leval my mind can comphrehend.) but even half is enough to make my jaw drop. sheesh. *faves*
momiji-k chapter 1 . 2/17/2006
That was wonderful! Just incredible. Even my feeble little brain was able to comprehend it, for the most part. There were only two parts I didn't get.

The part about not sleeping for two weeks and "I'm afraid she will think I abandoned her" and at the end, the part about "he once won a game and something about sacrificing one bishop, one rook, and one knight.

I think I uderstand the rest of it all pretty well. For some reason in the back of my mind I had the thought that the Queen would be the piece he would treasure the most. I would figure he would liken her to Riza, and it fits. The powerful female piece that protects and looks after the king... yeah..

I loved this piece, I hope to see more FMA fics from you soon. Especially anything with any amount of Roy and Riza (the more the better!).