Reviews for In An Age Before
dworkin chapter 123 . 12/17/2014
I really am curious how things go on... Still alive?
AG79 chapter 113 . 1/2/2013
At last ! Thank you !
Ruzio chapter 113 . 12/6/2012
I was in the middle of rereading this story for the first time in many years when you started to post more chapters, talk about timing. lol

So nice to see you continue this awesome story.
Phantom Bard chapter 112 . 11/17/2012
My apologies to readers for some typos and formatting irregularities that did not respond to online editing. Also, for the past month I've been plagued by vision problems resulting from a dry eye condition that left me only able to focus with difficulty and so photo-sensitive that looking at the monitor was a torment. Although the condition is slowly resolving, I still can't spend much time on my computer as yet, however I will continue posting as regularly as I can.
vkerinav chapter 108 . 10/19/2012
I like this one. Lots of nostalgia, which feels like of defining characteristic of the Eldar. Nothing about Helluin slaughtering entire armies by herself(which is a bit silly). We know she isn't going to die, but one should maintain the illusion that she CAN die.

What I'm trying to say is; that bit with the dwarves was over the top. Far past that bit during the war in Eriador, where at least she had the Dunedain backing her up.

And poor Angmar. There is something amusing about villains-who-should-be-terrifying cowering behind vast fortifications and hordes of yrch.
annarien chapter 24 . 10/16/2012
Oh, dear... I must agree with mad!Galadriel this time around, much as it pains me, in regards to this Helluin of yours.

"Imagine thou, centuries of watching my brothers drooling o'er her, Finrod breathless, cousin Turgon sculpting likeness after likeness, and not just they! My own father and mother befriended her…Uncle Fingolfin as well. Feanor made his first gems blue as her eyes! After Nerdanel left he tramped the countryside in her footsteps writing her sheaves of verse in his new letters. Maglor endlessly sang songs, yet neither dared approach her for lack of courage…seeing it very nearly drove me mad."

Indeed, I too would be mad. This had better be just Galadriel's jealousy and paranoia speaking, embellishing things or simply making them up, because no... just... no. So much is out of order with this that Mary Sue is too gentle a word to describe this perfect being that everyone is enamored of.

"Feanor made his first gems blue as her eyes! After Nerdanel left he tramped the countryside in her footsteps writing her sheaves of verse in his new letters. "

I hear canon shriveling and dying in great screams at this.

The story continues to be fascinating and the unfolding of history in greater detail than the original works offer makes me very thankful for the existence of this epic tale. But the main character... please say it does not get much worse than this.
annarien chapter 17 . 10/15/2012
Hello!

As a returning reader (after many years) I rejoiced to see the story updated and proceeded to read right away. Last time around I recall putting the story down around this chapter for two reasons, but this time, I decided to bypass them and give it another shot. Still, as before, I find myself jarred again by the same issues.

First and foremost, I find the vilification of the Feanorians quite tiresome. The main character's bias against them is revolting at times and either she or you are misinformed, claiming things such as Melkor having had Feanor's ear and his confidence. Which is entirely not true and you need to look no further than the Silmarillion to see that. I sincerely hope that as the story draws further from the First Age, Feanor and his House as the root of all evil will at least stop being mentioned in every chapter.

Second of all, the main character, Helluin, for all the darkness you keep underlining in her, is one hell of a judgmental, pompous, righteous, self-absorbed person. And, throughout the story, both the description of her appearance and the constant count of her age as time passes have become annoying. And she exhibits quite a few signs of Mary-Sueness (extreme fairness, the odd-colored eyes, super-abilities, the dark past that makes her murderous in rage, etc), but then, her implication and impact on various events would be impossible without them.

Those are my main peeves with the story. Aside from that, I have all the respect and the admiration for this epic story and many thanks to you for revealing lands and times that I have not seen anyone else approaching in detail. Not even the Professor himself. For that and for the hard work that went into the making of such a tale, I will follow it until the end in spite of my misgivings.

Thank you for sharing the excellent writing.

Alina.
vkerinav chapter 105 . 9/21/2012
A pity; I was rather hoping to see Helluin negotiating with a dragon for that destruction of that ring. It's been ages since she's gone up against a foe she might think twice before attacking.
Phantom Bard chapter 103 . 9/5/2012
My apologies to returning readers...when I came back here, I saw that I had last updated this story in June of 2007. I was actually shocked...it had been over 5 years since my last post! During this intervening time a lot had happened, including changing professions, ending a relationship of several years and moving to a new city. For 4 of those years, I wasn't writing at all. But this story had already claimed a large investment in creative energy and leaving it for so long gnawed at my psyche, especially since I had over 100 unposted pages already written, (including the ending). So at this point I'm intending to resume updating until the story is eventually finished and Helluin's tale is complete.

I began writing "In An Age Before" in 2003, started posting it in 2004, and realized from the start that it was going to be a long term project. By the time the last chapter goes up, it will have been over 10 years in the making. To new and returning readers I would say, take your time, read or scan over the previous chapters if necessary, and enjoy the new posts as they appear. There is time. The appeal of JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth, (and apparently this site as well), endures, and while no one like to wait, things happen in their own time. I sincerely hope that when all is said and done, those of you who have read will have enjoyed the ride and found it worthwhile.
vkerinav chapter 103 . 9/5/2012
I admit to being shocked when I first saw the notification email. Still, glad to see you're back.

At this point I would need to go back and reread the entire five hundred thousand words of this to make much of a coherent comment, but I do remember being impressed with your attention to detail; I'm certainly curious as to how you'll prevent Helluin's involvement in certain key events of the Third Age(absenteeism? Another Eagle? That was sort of a mid-story Deus ex Machina device, but not easily avoided).

Not much to say about this individual chapter. I'm not very good at this reviewing thing. I can make an educated guess about where this third Dwarven ring is going.
Deiron Lionheart chapter 102 . 1/28/2011
I just read this story again after a loooong silence. However, it saddens me to see it abandoned or better say not finished. I wonder when next updates are coming. This is such a wonderful story and very good written. It is one of the jewels here. Please continue. i am eager waiting for the rest of the story. Last update was almost 4 years ago.
Maline Elensar chapter 2 . 1/16/2010
hey,

Ive loved this story ever since i first read it over two years ago and am sincerely hoping you have not abandoned it.

i think tolkien himself would be proud of what you have created here.

this quote from Tolkien illustrates that i think he intended to leave space in his mythos for other people to write much like you have done

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama."

please continue with this tale for it would be most unfortunate if it were never finished
milnda chapter 1 . 10/22/2009
i also want to add the story is very good but is missing you dont write a little about romance but just like i said in all the truth hope you will finish this
Milnda chapter 1 . 10/22/2009
i never read a story with such a food high language that fit with Elves .

just i want to know if you will write more i reall love your story

how i could learn a that beautiful language ?

thanks
Lucy chapter 102 . 10/20/2009
Hello i know that was a long time that you dont update the story beacuse is very beautifully story and very clever hope you could tell me if you could continue with the story