Reviews for First Meeting
Elenhin chapter 1 . 3/8/2005
Just lovely, and what a surprise, a cliff hanger.

What can I say more than that I loved it, I began reading in my chaor in front of my desk, and at the end I dound I had my face mere inches from the screen. I think I can say it pulled me into its deepth.

So I shall keep a sharpe eye looking for update.

Little Pippin is as sweet as always, he'll be takeing good care of his friend, and Aragorn being reluctant at first makes it very interesting.

It will be great to see when you heal Eowyn and Merry, as well as when the King first speaks to Faramir.

Lucky thing that the King did not remove the nightsirt as well, and just peeled it away from the wound, now that we all know how terribly shy he is I mean.

Have to start bugging the computer for update, as well as grabbing break fast.

Take care now,

Elenhín
Evendim chapter 1 . 3/8/2005
You're back! And with one of the favourite passages of the book. (I would have loved to have added favourite scenes from the film, sigh! I know not everything could be included but treebeard could step down in favour of this if I had a vote!) Good luck with the rest of this story and the newbie which I KNOW is out there and coming soon! Heh heh! I is evil! - J.
Shadowed Flames chapter 1 . 3/8/2005
This seems to be an interesting start!

I AGREE! After watching ROTK, I was just thinking, "what about the healing hands of the king! It was such a important part of the novel itself, when Aragorn enters the city and heals everyone" *sigh* I didn't know it was even filmed... sucks that they cut it out... it was such an essential part...

Ha sorry, I have this thing with healing
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
Oh, yummy - a HoH/Healing of Faramir story!

The main problem with this is that I have a story not unlike it in the works (in second draft), so when it eventually appears, I hope you won't think I stole anything from this compelling story.

I don't think that Gandalf would have tried to manipulate Aragorn in this situation. Gandalf and Aragorn go way back and have a strong mutual respect. Also, Gandalf had a strong desire to save Faramir; he has already displayed a fondness for the young Captain, and an interest in keeping him alive that goes beyond Faramir's political importance.

It does make sense that some of the bystanders would express doubt as to Aragorn's motives.

Looking forward to the next chapter - please update soon! I wish PJ had included a scene like this - it would have been a heckuva more meaningful than the stupid skull avalanche.
Neoinean chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
I agree with you. There is SO much more they could have done with this scene. I look forward to seeing how you do it.

Poor Aragorn and his insecurities...
Stoneage Woman chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
I totally agree. The Houses of Healing is one of my favorite chapters in the book. This was well-written (big surprise). I hope you don't mind, but I've decided to continue my other story before starting a sequel to Friend and Foe. Btw, four of my exams are done (seven more to go. whopee.) and I've done fairly well so far. 'so far' being the operative words. Anyway I have bio tommorrow so I got to go and study, since I've done only 6 chapters out of 17. Update soon. Ta!
Larner chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
Good beginning, Linda. Looking forward to seeing how the story progresses.
Susan W chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
Excellent! A new story to read. I know you said this one would be short, but, hopefully, surely, there will be another chapter with the actual healing in it, right? There was no TBC at the bottom.

Aragorn will certainly benefit from healing Fara. A lasting friendship and an excellent Steward.

Does this story tie into the others or is this one completely separate?

More please!
wanderwithme4now chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
Poor Faramir. I do agree that this should've been in the movie, but there is only so much they can fit I suppose...
Quickbeam1 chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
Hi Linda,

I assuming there will be another chapter to this one, though by following canon we all know what is to happen next. Since you don't have a TBC, and I'm unsure if this is a stand alone or a chapter story, I will say that it would be stronger even if you repeat/rewrite in your words what happens next in the story.

I really like how well you know the trilogy especially ROTK from which many of your LOTR's stories have sprung. It definitely shows in your writing.

My favorite image and lines from this chapter were:

/yet the young Hobbit’s warmth heartened him and restored his flagging energy./ (Beautiful image)

I also liked how the people in Faramir's room were wondering about the healing abilities of this unknown Ranger from the North. One of my pet peeves with the movie version of ROTK is how PJ left out revealing to the people of Gondor their rightful heir and king. I would have liked to see Aragorn coming into his own especially after the devastating battle on Pelennor Fields.

And finally there are two points I have question with in regard to Aragorn's reaction in your story. I have only read ROTK once a year or so ago, and then since briefly reread certain parts of it, so my opinion might be colored by the film version more than the novel. But here it goes. Yes, I believe that Aragorn would have acknowledged Faramir as a possible rival for the affection and loyalty of Gondor's citizens, but I never would have believed him to hold back his skills as a healer because of this even if it would have cost him the throne and possibly Arwen's hand. Secondly, I don't think that Aragorn would have worried about appearing as a laughing stock in front of the mourners/bystanders gathered in Faramir's room.

Perhaps because he is my favorite character, I am more than a little biased where Aragorn is concerned. I find find him to be selfless, however, and the compassion you mentioned in your story would have kicked in from the very start when he heard about the injured.

Still, this is a wonderful and very well written short story. Please don't take my above opinions as finding fault with your story, but please see them just as another person stating their point of view.

Please, also add another chapter just to tie things up neatly. If memory serves me correct, I know you wrote another Houses of Healing story with Faramir. Unfortunately, my cluttered memory can't recollect if you touched upon the healing of Faramir, Eowyn, and Merry. I think you might have. So, if you did, I'd make note of it at the end of this story so that your readers can go on to read that story. I think it would make this story more stronger by doing so.

Once again, your writing skill shines with this story. I really enjoy how you've stay true to all of Tolkien's characters. I look forward to reading more from you. :)
viviana chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
Wow...great start! I'm just loving this please.
71 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5