Reviews for HandmeDowns
V. L. Crawford chapter 1 . 5/14/2012
Great start.
Princess Shania chapter 2 . 12/11/2011
Poor Sirius. Will we ever find out why Mr Black killed himself? I reckon it's cos he married Mrs Black.
Princess Shania chapter 1 . 12/11/2011
This is good. This is very,very,very good! Everyone's in character, it's great!
Petite Madame des Chats chapter 10 . 2/11/2008
I adore this story. I read a lot of fanfiction, and though I like a lot of things, it's not often I come across something this beautiful. The characters were just so real, and human (and I really wish I could use italics in this) and it just all comes together so well. And your whole rant about your critical love of the HP books - man, you managed to put my thoughts into words. It's just one of my many issues with the series from book three onwards, and I think you managed to articulate it particularly well. There is very little on platonic relationships in the whole series, ignoring Hermione's little speech in PS, about 'books and cleverness' not being what make greatness. And this whole fic just fills that gaping omission from the books. And I think at some point you mentioned the ingenuity of the books, just the way Rowling has ceated such an intricate, detailed world, that is so clever and sparkling, and amazing, and how you hoped you captured that feeling too. Honestly, you did more than capture it, you made it your own. The Castle in the Sky idea was brilliant, I mean, who would have though of a tin that has an everlasting supply of matches, and becomes a house when a lit match was dropped in it? That's creativity on JK's scale, so you have no need to worry about capturing it. Your creating that feel in your own right.

But back to what I loved most about this story. It's really about the realtionships between people, and that's something I love. Not necessarily romantic relationships, because there's more to love than lovers, and that's one of the major things I think the canon books missed. And I adore the way you wrote Sirius' psychological changes. It was so real, I didn't really even find anything suss about it until just before Lupin realised it. Very masterful. It' hard to trick me like that, and the fact that you managed it is quite impressive. I read so much that I often have the whole plot figured out in the first few pages - not necessarily the details, but the plot. And to keep a whole plot device (aka: the robes) under my radar is startling. I haven't had one like that pulled on me in a while. So your writing is smart, intelectual, emotive and sneaky. I look forward to you finishing the 5th yr fic (and possibly 6th and 7th years as well), though I must admit (as I said in the other review) that I found this fic much more likable that the others. I have since come to the comslucion that it might just be that I'm not a big fan of canon Harry, largely because he starts out a lot more mature than his classmates, and you expect him to continue to grow this way, and yet, he regresses, and becomes an immature little brat. I can't stand stories where the hero is just some ordinary kid who by some chane defeats the greatest what ever of the last however long. It's nonsical, and the world doesn't work that way. And as much as I'm against realism, there's only so far I can take it. So if you do end up taking this concept the whole way though, do us all a favour, and box his ears, and make him grow up. I think you'll find him a lot more pleasant to write, and if not, do it for the sake of my sanity. 'Cause I know I'll keep reading, no matter how much I hate the little shit ('scuse the French). Actually, not that I mention it, it would be quite interesting to see the psychological transformation Harry would have to undergo in order to grow up.
LeahNari chapter 10 . 12/17/2007
There were some typos that I noticed... somewhere. I forgot to note. I apologize.

Now that criticism is out of the way...

This is one of the best HP fics I've read, and I fear I won't be able to remember all the reasons for that.

First of all, I must say that I love the way you portray Lupin. Not just his personality (inner Padfoot-and-Prongs _) but also his trials because of the lycanthropy. You're right about the book not touching on it, and I'm glad you've given it some attention.

You actually hit on a lot of reasonable questions to the canon at that point, especially discussing the blood bond. I like that it's your own interpretation, and I'm interested to see what you make of the 5th book (can't read it just yet, have a paper due ;). I liked the spells you introduced, and spent a while trying to find the interp for Decido Capita. (I think you've helped me on my current project: "Don't cling to canon.") The concept of love as magic is also very nice, and plausible.

Sirius is also very believable here. You've written Remus' and Sirius' relationship beautifully. You're also right about the way the books show love - this is much better.

I can't think of any of the other parts of this that I wanted to praise (except the ending - I loved that FrednGeorge finally met the Marauders. "Maestro!"), but please believe that I love your details, your writing style, your understanding of the characters, and your willingness to explore the story a little more. Well done!
JamieGlasgow4 chapter 10 . 7/20/2007
Oh god, I loved the ending. Made me fall off the chair it did.
BlueSea14 chapter 1 . 8/19/2006
Very good I liked this story! Especially the Weasley twins at the end...:)
Tharin chapter 10 . 2/28/2006
An really interesting plot, I hadn't read one with a cursed robe befor. I like how you described the cleaning of the house, because it was not only cleaning the rooms, but, more important, changing the atmosphere of the house.

What I really liked was the describtion of Remus' and Sirius' relationship, but also the little details in the story (like the "castle in the sky", Molly's difficulties with getting used to Remus' touch, or the spell they used to paint the celling of the blue room). Remus'inner "Padfoot-and-Prongs" also never failed to make my laugh.
homeric chapter 10 . 1/12/2006
Nicely done. You have a good eye for characterisation and I enoyed the interction between Sirius and Remus. Keep writing :)
Briryan chapter 10 . 10/17/2005
Really great chapter and story! Looking forward to reading anymore stories you come out with. I loved this story! Keep up the wonderfull job.
TerentiAlethea chapter 10 . 10/16/2005
Absolutely wonderful story. The characterization was amazing, (such depth!)and really, so much more than the books allow them. Very well done :) Beautifuly written, and it, happily, managed to steal me away from my homework for quite a while. (My professors will just love the old "I didn't write my essay because I was basking in the glow of happy Remus and Sirius interaction" excuse.) All jokes aside, fantastic job.
RebeccaGoose chapter 1 . 10/16/2005
I really like it! Great plot!
horn-head chapter 10 . 10/15/2005
Woot! Absolutely amazing story, love the ending. Now, get off your duff and write the next one! :p I agree with you about the absence of love in the books, there really isn't much showing of emotions in there (maybe cuz they're British? hehe) Anyway, can't wait to read the next story!
elmtree chapter 9 . 10/15/2005
I just silently read it with interest, but this cliffy made me click the review button. I cant wait the next chapter..! your calm, but firm way of writing makes this story quite attractive. And I like your SR. Not sugary, not sappy, but deep. And... desperate. Its sad, but the sadness makes the puppies the best item of HP world.

Well and delligently written story like this deserves more reviews, really! Much more. maybe 5 times, no, 10 times. So, please keep on. There must be much more silent readers like me.
Briryan chapter 9 . 10/11/2005
Great chapter! Really looking forward to find out what happens to Remus. Update soon please!