Reviews for Trial by Fire
Guest chapter 1 . 7/17/2014
Another excellent story! I enjoyed it a great deal. You mentioned that you were trying a different writing style with this one, and I applaud you for that. As a writer it can be insanely hard (and also a very BAD idea) to change your writing style. But you took a risk, and it resulted in a very decent story overall, so truly - congratulations! :)

I will admit that to me this story didn't seem like your strongest work. Which, again - I think can largely be attributed to you trying a different style of writing. As others have already mentioned, if was hard to follow at times. And so many crucial plot points along with character development seemed rushed. And also I'm glad that you eventually shifted the focuse off Legolas and Lunian. In the beginning, they seemed to be taking a lot of the spot light, which was getting kind of annoying to me. As much as I love them, their stories have been well and truly (and wonderfully!) told. And I thought they were kind of getting to be...almost TOO much. Always, always together, bashing us over the head with how deeply in love they are. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing them happily together. They've been through so much pain and sorrow that they deserve to be blissfully happy until the end of time. :) BUT this isn't their story. They needed to give others a time to shine.

And for the love of lembas, Legolas was SO overprotective of her it wasn't funny! That scene where he shoots the warning arrow at Glorfindel for giving Lunian advice she NEEDED to hear (whether she liked it or not) really bothered me. It's wonderful that Legolas loves her and wants to protect her from harm, but hardships are a part of life. Even in Valinor, lol. He was actually doing her a great disservice by trying to protect her from it all...Which was why I liked it so much when she finally called him out on it near the end by voicing her displeasure that he kept holding her back. She's not a baby, Legolas, stop treating her like one! ;)

Altogether I though it was a great story that was worthy of Tolkien and the world he created. Fantastic job, as always! :)
Yuki Suou chapter 16 . 4/12/2013
0ne of the m0st mature fanfics i've ever read :)
A reviewer chapter 16 . 6/12/2010
I really enjoyed this story. Glorfindel is so old, but it works. The changes in Carathwan's character came on gradually, which was good.

I wish you'd somehow included Carathwan's brothers in the epilogue. Or the last chapter before the epilogue. I would have loved to see their reactions to Carathwan's mysterious lover.
Amisara chapter 16 . 4/9/2009
that whole walking through the fire thing for cara was hot. pun intended
xavia chapter 1 . 4/15/2008
oh sorry found it : D
ravingrevolution chapter 16 . 12/18/2007
Great story! I love the subtle style you used.
Hikitsulover-818 chapter 1 . 11/20/2007
hi ! i really like this chapter ! its great , this time, i review for all chapters (_)
catinthehat007 chapter 16 . 10/22/2007
aww im so glad you wrote this story bc i was gonna request it if you hadnt already written it, so sweet
Rhyselle chapter 16 . 7/4/2007
Oh my goodness... this is one of the best interpretations of Glorfindel I've yet read!

Everyone writes about the consummate fighter, the hero, The Balrog Slayer (always with the capital letters), and it seems they never get into his mind and heart.

Of course such a traumatic death in that particular manner would cause him to have issues with touch. Why had I not considered this before?

I loved Carathwan! She's a wonderful OC and her charm and stubbornness and persistence were absolutely what Glorfindel needed.

How like a male to find an excuse for why he was standing off from her that hid the true reason. For elves, age truly doesn't matter, since they live until the end of Arda and the time of its renewal.

A unique story and on just as high a par of grammar, word usage, punctuation and spelling as I've come to expect from the three stories of your that I read before this one.

It has been so enjoyable reading through your collection of fics. I'm very glad that you have been able to be so prolific!
Sixteen Scars chapter 13 . 3/13/2007
Whe! Yes, 'tis I, the manic archer once again...lol

I know this is a very serious piece here, but I had this insane picture of Elrond, Legolas, Celeborn, and a bunch of other manly macho elves tackling a panicky Glorfindel to the ground, all of the aforementioned screaming 'HUGGLES TIME!'

I think I scared myself.

Excellent, and I almost cried with delight-I've had this thing for Glorfindel since I was eight years old.

Oh geeze, I realized what a nerd I am-my father read The Hobbit to me when I was four, I read it to myself when I was seven, and the rest of the trilogy when I was eight. I'm officially a nerd. We LOTR fans must band together and take over the world, I say...
Marilena chapter 1 . 1/3/2007
Probably one of the best stories I've read on the site! Glorfindel is ...sigh... *no words or I might leave a page long review!*

Why don't you write another Glorfindel romance? Or a Haldir one?

Please? ;D

M.
Nieriel Raina chapter 16 . 11/30/2006
*stares shamefacedly at review board* I NEVER reviewed the story that made me fall in love with Glorfindel? *faints* BAD NIRI!

Thank you for fostering such a wonderful infatuation. I couldn't be happier.

NiRi
Anearin chapter 16 . 10/8/2006
That is a really really sweet story! I loved it! although I must admit that I got a little lost at times, it seemed to jump in places, but then it could be that Im tired and not consentrating fully... anyways I raelly really liked it!

Anearin
Randomisation chapter 16 . 5/18/2006
amazing! gr8 story - reeli reeli original ive never read anything like it!
itouchmyelf79 chapter 1 . 4/3/2006
i enjoyed this story very much. very well written! i was very happy to see a familar chacater lunia..i had read "the worry stone" a few months back and i just completely fell in love with it. it was the fist lotr fanfic that i had read and i loved it so much that i had to go and rent the lotr movies *hangs head in shame* i hadn't watched them cause i thought they would be stupid.. but! now i am adicted..esp to the elves lol.. where u the arthor of "the worry stone"?