Reviews for Softly Say Goodnight
amr56 chapter 6 . 8/5
Wow. This story is beautiful. It started off slow, but the characters and the relationships re so well-written that I was sucked in. The changes Oorichimaru is going through are so subtle and so intriguing. He is complex and fascinating. His relationships with Tsunade and Jiraya are so different but so complete. This is well worth the read. Thank you.
rayningnight chapter 1 . 8/26/2013
This will likely never be updated again, and so, though I'd like to keep reading, I can already tell if I do so, I'll get angry at you for not continuing.
This is an amazing story, and already I can tell you'll be delving into so many layers of each of the Sannin's personalities that... yeah.
I think I've strangely fallen in love with Orochimaru at this point.

LovelyWeather chapter 6 . 6/8/2013
I feel silly for putting this story on the follow, since I see it hasn't and probably won't be updated in the near future (if at all), but I don't feel any hesitation whatsoever for putting it in my favourites, because that is doubtlessly its rightful place.

It's such a rare occurrence to find a magnificent story, with such a brilliant style as yours, balanced out with both intricate plot and psychological character development, and to top-it-all-off about my loved Sannin trio. From Orochimaru, who had become my favourite character overnight after I wrote him in my own story, over Jiraiya's strange firmness, to Tsunade's awe-some portrayal, everybody is well-analyzed and given more layers than have ever been depicted in the original story, which I'm grateful for- you've really used the potential in their character to its max. I'm impressed. Can't tell you in what a trance reading this story has put me in.

Overall, I just wanted you to know that something that you wrote a gazillion years ago is still read with much enjoyment to today (which stands to evidence to its quality) Maybe one day, you'll give us at least a glimpse of part 2? If nothing, in form of left-over half-finished, scribbled drabbles and cutscenes. That would make me very, very happy. ;)
Hope you're doing well in life,
Renaerys chapter 6 . 2/9/2012
So I think it's pretty obvious that you're not going to continue this story and that is A DAMN SHAME BECAUSE IT IS PHENOMENAL ON SO MANY LEVELS. I recently became interested in Orochimaru because of my interest in Sasori, and we don't get anything in canon on their time spent as partners in Akatsuki. So I wanted to find something revealing about their past together (or separately leading up to Akatsuki and why they joined) and I stumbled upon this amazing piece... God there is just nothing bad I can say about it (because minor typos here and there are never a make it or break it deal when the fic is fantastic). So I'm just going to gush about what I loved.

First, I just love the voice you use for Orochimaru. I 100% agree with your assessment that he is not simply a two-dimensional villain (what villain or hero ever is?). But the beauty in this fic is that we are shown why he wasn't born a villain. There's clearly a reason for his behavior and it seems to tie back to the brutal murder of his parents. He used to be hopeful about his teammates and want to protect them, but after his family's murder he changed on a fundamental level.

I love how Jiraiya is so stubborn with him. A couple of times I found myself wondering, "Is Jiraiya really too blind to see that Orochimaru is changing for the worst?" But then I have to remember that this was before the experiments, before the betrayal, before everything. Jiraiya and Tsunade would not believe that their precious teammate is slowly becoming someone else, and they certainly would not believe that he would ever turn on them. Reminds me of Naruto and Sakura's insistence on bringing Sasuke back to Konoha. It really fits, and that's a hard thing to portray.

I think my favorite part about your characterization of Orochimaru is that he doesn't understand what's happening to himself. He doesn't know why he mutilated that Cloud nin's face (that part was so epic, btw). He seems to know this isn't how a normal person would behave, but he can neither fully comprehend it nor stop himself. Sometimes we see the part of him that still clings to his teammates, like when he offered Tsunade his chakra to heal Jiraiya or when he promised Jiraiya he would protect Tsunade. Sometimes he even feels a little guilty about his callous behavior. I really love those subtle struggles because it makes you sympathize with and understand his character on a fundamentally human level.

The part where he and Tsunade kiss is totally disturbing and filled with blood imagery. It gave me chills!

Anyway, I could go on and on about how much I love this but I won't bore you with my raving. I'm a little sad that this story seems to have been abandoned, but I'm glad I got the chance to read what was posted. So thanks for writing! You picked a hard character to write and you executed it beautifully. Definitely adding this to my faves.
terracotta28 chapter 5 . 10/20/2011
Sorry this is continued on from my other review (from Chapter 6)! Just wanted to add that I like the whole almost romance (?) between Tsunade and Orochimaru. It's an interesting idea, and you've portrayed it well. Also ignore my last comment, because the review was actually rather short, but it looked long when I was writing it 0_o
terracotta28 chapter 6 . 10/20/2011
What an insanely beautifully twisted story (I mean that in the best possible way). I've always believed that there was more to Orochimaru, and this story... just wow.

The writing style is amazing, every character is just perfectly personified, and I haven't caught any errors :)

Parts of this story made me want to cry, mainly the end of the 1st chapter. I don't think you were trying to get that reaction, I'm just a bit special like that XD

Again, what an amazing story! Sorry for the super long review, it's probably the longest one I've ever written. Can't wait fr more!
happypocky chapter 6 . 9/7/2011
This was really interesting! You did a really good job! I must admit, it sparked some hope within me for romance between Orochimaru and Tsunade; maybe I will search for a story on the pairing~ too bad Orochi is evil; I think he would be quite cute if he wasn't. Thanks for the great fanfic, and your time! :]
Tears Parallel chapter 6 . 3/21/2010
Now Orochimaru seems less of an... evil scary snake-like guy than a confused and hateful guy that flicks his tongue to scare people. In a way it makes me wonder how similar he and Sasuke are, and how similar are their relationships to Jiraiya/Naruto.

Hopefully you'll stop procrastinating (it's been four, close to five years) and continue this story.
Heise chapter 1 . 7/5/2009
This is really, really good. I love the cynical but wonderful speculative voice you use for Orochimaru. 3
GCokes chapter 2 . 6/18/2009
Loving the story. The Sannin are great characters to write.
Aomushi chapter 6 . 12/29/2008
Once again, you have made me see a character who I previously thought was just plain insanely evil in a..protagonistic light. Please start part two soon! (At this time it's been about three and a half years since you ended part one). Just one question (fine, two) - are Anko and Shizune going to be in this? How about the Yondaime?

Good plot, great character developement. Have a glass of wine. No, I didn't poison it. (That was, strangely, my favorite part of the story)
IVIaedhros chapter 4 . 12/9/2008
Not quite so homicidal this time.
IVIaedhros chapter 2 . 12/9/2008
The contradicting feelings shown are quite interesting...and I just noticed the last update time...crude.
IVIaedhros chapter 1 . 12/9/2008
Good stuff so far. I look forward to reading more.
Sundarii chapter 6 . 11/30/2008
oh my god that was awesome. and not just regular awesome, like beyond belief, ridiculous awesome. i especially like that you give orochimaru a perspective, and a personal history as something else other than a main antagonist in naruto. and the relationship between him, jiraiya and tsunade just about breaks my heart.

i love your story, and i hope that you continue it soon.