Reviews for Waiting, Wanting, Knowing
Otto's Goat chapter 1 . 3/29/2005
You already know what I think of this (!) And my reviewing skills haven't improved much, so I shall not try to repeat myself.

"To him, the smell of charcoal is remarkable only in its absence." -The goat is quite fond of this little line.

"What one can shape from wood, one can shape from iron. It was a good lesson; he has not yet forgotten it." -Again, I loved it when Rand said the exact opposite and I love it here.

Fantastic work Vana -showers with truffles-
RavenLady chapter 1 . 3/17/2005
So Maglor isn't the only reflective one in the family. I always got the sense that Curufin was like that, too.

I'm in awe. This piece really is stripped down to the most essential things in the story. I wondered what you meant by calling this a tragedy, but I think I see what you mean. They are "dying slowly," indeed.
The Bookbinder's Daughter chapter 1 . 3/16/2005
Beautiful, in a subdued way - but not a soft way.

I love that Kurufinwë works alone; I love the passage about the seabird; I love that he knows the smell of charcoal 'better than that of his mother'. I love that Maedhros reaches for the sword with his 'remaining hand' - strong, resilient, rising back towards his old strength, and for his brother with his 'last hand' - clutching feebly at something slipping away.

"...the white wood, hidden beneath it all. He does not know it is there at all. This is his tragedy." And of course, it's like that. It's exactly like that. One of the worst things Maedhros did was to stand back and do nothing to stop the ship-burning, and yet that's probably the one thing of which he feels innocent.

The first part is my favorite; it has a strange, still, floating feeling, much like the waiting it describes. "Kurufinwë is walking. Drum, drum, drum say his feet to the dry earth beneath..." Beautiful.

(And, of course, I love that it's in present tense.)
Maitimo chapter 1 . 3/15/2005
I am a poor reviewer; in fact, all I do is to decide if I like what I read or not.

The story depressed me so much. As it depresses me to read Frodo's leaving, or the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, or the death of Fingolfin, or the very last paraghrap of The Silmarillion ("If it has passed from the high and the beautiful to darkness and ruin..."). And yet, I have read those parts like a million times.

What can I say? I like to get depressed while reading. I'm this odd. Hence I like Tolkien. Hence, too, I like this tale.
Unsung Heroine chapter 1 . 3/15/2005
That, is great. Beautifully written and with a slight poetic feel to it, at least in my opinion. I liked it.
perelleth chapter 1 . 3/15/2005
Beautiful, powerful and with a sense of Doom. I wonder whether Maedhros ever learned (or felt) about the core of his sword hilt. Loved the cadence of the title! Curufinwë the philosopher is such a discovery! They may have all been truly confused at this stage!