Reviews for Through a Gentle Haze
a chapter 1 . 3/4/2009
Simply brilliant. You have a way with words, that lets the reader really see the world you're describing. You've not only managed to capture Alex's personality perfectly, but you've also linked the Silvana to Yuris in a way that made the ship seem like it contained her very essence. Everything from the narrative down to the word choice just takes my breath away.
Yasia chapter 1 . 9/7/2008
BRILLIANT!
Dustii chapter 1 . 11/3/2007
This is simply beautiful...I can't even put to words my feelings after reading this. The gentle ache and bleak tone of the story really cast Alex in a new light for me. Your writing style is beautiful and elegant, and I have never seen such a wonderful characterization before.
Nezuko chapter 1 . 6/18/2006
This is a lyrical character study, and full of delights. Yuris and the Silvana linked inextricably, and Alex making love to his ship because his woman is no longer within his grasp. So sad, sovery sad.

You really have atalent I admire.
Anna chapter 1 . 2/20/2006
That was so beautifully written, oh my god. I loved it. You're such a talented writer, it makes me jealous .
Yma chapter 1 . 5/5/2005
That was very good. I love your take on these sorts of characters and you've really got Alex down pat. I'd honestly like to see more about him... As ever your characterisation and you imagry stuns. You manage to make yourwork so beautifuly emotive and full of imagry. The juxtaposition between Yuris and Silvana was wonderful. And the sentement within this was so beautiful and tradgic it practically ached. I'm not sure what else I can say to this esxcept that it is very, very good.
Oscurotrophic chapter 1 . 4/29/2005
Very, very nice. A great mastery of insights, surely.
Naga chapter 1 . 4/16/2005
This stole my breath away and constricted my chest. I have not read such a well-written piece of character study for a fan fiction before. You got Alex Lowe down to a t and went beyond to show a depth that was only hinted at in the series. This is the best portrayal of the contradictions that is Alex Lowe. The stream-of-consciousness style is also very appropriate and the details in descriptions is nothing short of professional. Nothing else to say except Bravo, and I look forward to reading more of your works.
Alex didn't Die Associatoin chapter 1 . 4/8/2005
I love 've captured Alex perfectly. You make him seem real. That's the mark of a true lies beyond the furthest reaches of ones memory? Yuris does. Alex didn't die... He just disappeared for a while...
Lady Razorsharp chapter 1 . 4/6/2005
Bravo, bravo, bravo.
Sheepster chapter 1 . 3/28/2005
There are no smilies for the wide-eyed drooling look.

Then again, I suppose that's a good thing, because such a cheap pseudo-expression would really detract from this work.

Anyway, very good story. I loved your metaphors, and in general it kind of reminded me of listening to a good song for the first time in that you can barely remember what you just heard a two seconds ago but know that what you're reading now is really great. Maybe that's just because I'm kind of tired right now, though . . .

It would be very cool if you made a series of these analyzations on the various "Last Exile" characters. Or is Mister Row the only one that inspires you so?
partisan chapter 1 . 3/21/2005
My God this is good. I'm not even much of an Alex fan, I don't particularly seek out work about him, but this was so exquisitely written I had to keep reading it. You managed to make his character more human without cheapening or distorting it. Some of the details you use to illustrate that are very nice touches; the Silvanna itself becoming a living avatar of Yuris, the motif of Alex being "tutored on shock". You know what to leave half-said as well, those parts were especially enjoyed. Oh, and you also used the verb "scudding", which is itself a special kind of virtue.

You're a busy writer but any other Last Exile work you turn your capable hand to would be very much appreciated.
kokonutsu chapter 1 . 3/20/2005
Sad, and lonely, but well written.
AyanamiEraclea chapter 1 . 3/18/2005
Actually, it gave me a clearer response to the question "Just who is Alex Row and what happened?" I like Delphine fics, but I really liked this one, too!
Vixenne Victorienne chapter 1 . 3/17/2005
Okay...where have YOU been hiding my dear?

I am speechless, so if this review makes precious little sense, bear with me.

You have an obvious gift of narrative and your imagery...wow...I could really see and feel each separate vibration of the Silvana through Alex's eyes.

And Alex...my poor brooding gothic hero, my heart bleeds for him, and your story makes that pain even more real.

This was a superlative work, and there are very few people I say that to.