Reviews for The View From the Top
George chapter 1 . 2/9/2010
Excellent work! You captured Snyder perfectly.
Nightcrawlerlover chapter 1 . 7/30/2009
Snyder peered into a dim classroom, tested the doorknob, and nodded. Shut, locked, neat. Just the way they should be. No punks dealing drugs, no students fornicating, no Summers sticking her nose into everything. Things were looking go—

Why was there a light on in the theater?

Snyder cursed and edged closer to the door, and pressing his ear to it.

“Come on, sweetheart, just like before … yes, that’s right…”

Snyder barreled into the room. “What the hell’s going on in here?” he brayed, startling the blond boy and his … “Are those chimpanzees?”

“Monkeys,” said the boy breathlessly, herding them back into their cage.

Snyder squinted at the animals. “What’s on their backs? They look like—wings?”

“Costumes!” the boy babbled, nudging the last monkey back in the cage and latching the door behind him. “I’m teaching them to dance for the talent show next month. So they’re going to be dancing happy monkey with costumes. Not wings!”

Snyder’s blood pressure was rising. He could feel it. His left eye twitched, and he fought for patience. “Let me get this straight. You’ve brought exotic animals on campus—”

“Not that exotic—”

“In the middle of the night, in costume?”

The boy thought about it for a minute. “Umm … yes.”

“Well? What do you have to say for yourself?”

“I’m getting them used to the auditorium, so they, uh, don’t become frightened and refuse to perform during the show,” the boy rushed out. “Monkeys are very sensitive about things like—”

“Go home,” Snyder gritted. “Before I call your parents. Or the police. Or your parents and the police.”

The boy’s jaw dropped. He grabbed the wheeled cage and hurriedly pushed it out of the auditorium, the door banging shut behind him.

Snyder stayed where he was and counted to ten before releasing his breath. My kingdom, he mused of the now hopefully empty school. I hope I reign over it as long as it stands.

And if he didn’t get that award, he deserved to be eaten just like that miserable Flutie.

Great job capturing Snyder's train of thoughts, as well as his perspective on things. And I love how he remembered Principal Flutie too.

Keep up your awesome writing! :)
Jane Average chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
Hehehe :) That was a BRILLIANT Snyder-voice - you really captured him! Spot-on! :)
megan chapter 1 . 3/25/2005
This fic? Totally cool. There isn't much about those elusive flying monkeys, much less combined with Snyder's perspective and the initiative. Very well written, really interesting.
LastScorpion chapter 1 . 3/20/2005
What a perfect Snyder voice! I loved the way you brought in the Initiative and the lunch lady and the flying monkeys, too. Wonderful story!