Reviews for A Serenade to Breaking
Cutter12 chapter 1 . 6/13/2010
This is so heartbreaking. :*(

Thanks for writing it.
ColaCub chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
Beautiful. I don't know enough words to express how moving your story was. You captured all the characters' emotions perfectly, and I can imagine that this really was how the sad passing of Margaret Eppes affected her family.

I love the story in its entirety, but for some reason, above all others, this sentence really moved me-

"He thinks he should explore forests so that he can compare the colours of leaves and grass to his chalkboards and then he remembers where he is now and thinks he might not ever move again."

Dang, how do you write like that? :-)
bagira chapter 1 . 2/8/2007
That was a gorgeous exploration of the Eppes men, Charlie especially; it's not the cliché where he goes insane (thank you for that), but rather the way his genius mind tries to deal with the fact of his mother's death in the form that he always seems to eventually revert to - math. Also well done are his feelings and breakdown when he can't explain death because he isn't sure if it's an absence or an infinite period in which he has to agonize over his grief and his guilt. I particularly liked his calculations of chalk dust to see if gravity is still working, like he's trying to figure out if he's falling or not. My favourite line: "But they are dull and already covered with the equation of his mother’s life and death and Charlie doesn’t want to use her to hurt himself." THAT is prose, and it's beautiful. I loved everything about this. Thank you for writing it and sharing it with us.

For reference: the "equals" sign should be the button on your keyboard just next to the backspace/delete button; if not, then here: (just copy and paste). The infinity sign you can get in most word processor programs as far as I know; for instance, in Microsoft Works WP, you just click the Insert Special Character option and it should be in the list somewhere under Symbols... I can't copy and paste it here (a strange character pops up instead) but you should be able to find it somewhere, though I'm not sure it would work on the site anyway - besides which, some people might not know what it stood for O_o
SaJi chapter 1 . 9/22/2006
Very nicely done.
dawn2dusk chapter 1 . 12/28/2005
very intereseting. The characterization is very good; I think you really captured the feeling of that time for the characters. Thanks
marilyn chapter 1 . 12/20/2005
I was touched. This was very good. I think his life really does hang in the balance and is steadied by his brother (even though his brother does not know it). I think you captured the person the writers made him. You done good! What else have you done, I really like your style. Thanks. Marilyn
Freefall chapter 1 . 7/28/2005
What a great story! You must write more! Well done!
Kippling Croft chapter 1 . 6/18/2005
Really good story I liked it a lot.
Quill-32 chapter 1 . 5/6/2005
Excellent language, great insights. Glad you wrote it!
WS chapter 1 . 4/20/2005
I read this one and wished it were longer. Most fan fiction is of atrocious quality - barely literate. But this piece has depth and clarity & I wanted more when I finished reading it. I especially liked that you kept the characters fairly close to canon and didn't follow the rapidly growing trend to portray Charlie as if he were an autistic savant or just mentally unstable, rather than as a young genius. I hope you continue to write.
Sci F.I. Warper chapter 1 . 4/10/2005
I swear I was tearing as I read this story. I can just imagine how Charlie felt through all of this and especially with his dad. Don's outburst is understandable but his dad had no reason to do that. He especially knew how 'young' Charlie really is. While I don't condone Charlie hiding in the attic, like their dad told Don at least his mom knew how Charlie's mind worked.
Padfoot4ever chapter 1 . 4/2/2005
wow that was very sad but a great story non the less! Keep up the great work!
PeteyDG chapter 1 . 3/21/2005
Wow, how sweet and how sad and how tragic that was. I think this is a very well conceived, well written take on the period of time the show has alluded to often, during Mrs. Eppes illness and death and the aftermath.

How easy it would have been to let Alan overcome his tipsiness and unease and anger, which you described beautifully (showing us rather than telling us) and go to his son and hold him, and you took the more difficult road and you watched him walk away and took us with you. What a great choice as a writer and what a terrible, painful, heartbreaking choice for Alan to have made as a character.

Technically, I like the way you skipped between viewpoints and modes of description and time frames. It was . . . jagged? Like the situation. Really added richness to the story.
Alamo Girl chapter 1 . 3/21/2005
It is truly amazing the depth of emotion you are able to bring to life through your words in this story. Very few authors can move me through their prose, and you have definitely done that with this wonderful story.

I ache for Charlie-lost to the abyss and trying in vain to quantify death into an equation. It is genius of you to have him try to put her death into and equation-only to find he can't sum it all up that easily. Brilliant!

Emotionally powerful and seemlessly smooth to read, truly a great work!

Bravo, have some sweets...you deserve it!

Alamo Girl
Luvspook chapter 1 . 3/21/2005
Wow! That was so immensely tragic! You truly captured the essence of Charlie's fanaticism with his death equation. I actually felt his tears when he realized that he was calculating his own grief at such a loss. Poor, poor Charlie! So tragic, but so beautiful! Excellent job!