Reviews for The Unicorn and the Spider: KikyoNaraku ficlets
Guest chapter 3 . 2/23/2014
Naraku is just in bliss with living his immortal days with Kikyo...too bad it's not vice versa XD ( unless he's just pretending 0_0 PLOT TWIST!)
Ree chapter 30 . 1/17/2010
I really enjoyed reading all of these short stories! They are so amazing! *.*
LuxKen27 chapter 30 . 12/28/2009
What a fitting piece to end this years-long journey on :) Congrats on finishing the claim - I have to say, even though I didn't review *every single chapter*, none of them were anything less than pure magic, imminently enjoyable and, sometimes, dying to be expanded upon. I love the way you write these two - separate, together, fighting, loving, loathing - and am only sad to see the series come to an end. It has been a most enjoyable journey, perhaps because I could take as many chunks of it as I pleased at one time, and I want to thank you for sharing these with the rest of us :)
LuxKen27 chapter 28 . 12/28/2009
This piece - "Grit of Winter" - is a wonderful character sketch, a ways to see the canon story through Kikyo's eyes. It's amazing what she went through, and how much - and, at the same time - how little it changed her outlook on life, death, and destiny. Its this sort of kinship yet horror that she feels when around her enemy that makes this pairing so intriguing...and you write them *so* well. Once again, I tip my hat to you!
LuxKen27 chapter 27 . 12/28/2009
I think I told you this when you originally posted this piece to iy_themes, but this is a beautiful example of your command of language, and how you can say so many different things in so few words. It was a worthy winner for that week, and it was wonderful to run across this piece again. Brava, madame!
LuxKen27 chapter 26 . 12/28/2009
:D This is wonderfully delicious dialogue! You can feel the tension coursing under their conversation; I love the idea of Kikyo mocking Naraku at the very same time that she deigns "help" him by giving him the jewel shards. Kikyo's plan was bold, to say the least, but she had a lot of nerve to talk back to him the way she did. I like that about her; it shows she's a strong character who isn't in need of a man to protect her. The fact that she leaves Naraku wanting and angry in the end is like icing on the cake :D
LuxKen27 chapter 25 . 12/28/2009
Oh, this is really lovely! The idea of Kikyo being well aware of the reasons for her resurrection - fighting and yet accepting it, all at the same time - really shows the sort of complexity inherent to her character. Showing her lost dreams of a life with Inuyasha in parallel with fighting Naraku another endless time is an especially powerful image. Well done!
Fenikkusuken chapter 29 . 10/20/2009
Guh.

This is WONDERFUL... in a thoroughly creepy, goose-bumpy, hair-prickly sort of way.

Well done!
LuxKen27 chapter 20 . 10/1/2009
Now there's another idea - using the jewel to heal Onigumo instead of Inuyasha. I wonder if it ever crossed Kikyo's mind, as a way to relieve herself of the burden of protecting it. It seemed she was just as content to use Inuyasha for her own purposes as much as any other feelings she had for him...so why not? This was really great! I envy you these savvy ideas, haha :D
LuxKen27 chapter 19 . 10/1/2009
Ahahahaha, new life and new death borne of the same action - that's Naraku for you! I like this a lot ~ the tease of the sensual imagery, alongside the forboding secret Kikyo keeps. Naraku has what he wants, or so he thinks, until she continues to hide a little piece of herself from him. This was very nicely done - you really excel at short-form fic!
LuxKen27 chapter 18 . 10/1/2009
This was a very interesting take on Kikyo's dilemma, being raised from the dead and finding solace only in seeking vengeance. The line "In another life, she might have tried to help them, and deep inside her soul she wants to save them" is so telling to her state of mind ~ and yet, she attempts to save them anyway, in her own little way. This piece brings out the complexity of her character in a way I think most authors and readers completely miss. You handle her with such ease, it seems, digging into the shadowy corners of her mind. This is really beautiful work, my friend :)
LuxKen27 chapter 16 . 10/1/2009
Now *this* is an original idea! I really, really like this ~ it makes me wonder what kinds of dreams Kimmy had that would drive her to kill herself. Did she see her former life...or maybe her brother's? How bittersweet that, in taking her own life, she takes her brother's as well...as was destined to happen? The twist of making them twins in this life was a great way to show not only how intertwined they were, but also how alike they were. This is one of the drabbles I think has the potential for expansion.
LuxKen27 chapter 15 . 10/1/2009
Ah, just like a master manipulator...one wonders how much pleasure she truly derived from taunting and teasing Naraku. This little drabble, with its sensual imagery, reminds us just how much control she retained in their relationship, even after both of them were resurrected from their former lives. Very nicely done! You have such a keen eye for detail and such wonderful use of language to evoke those images in your readers *sigh*
LuxKen27 chapter 12 . 10/1/2009
I love your use of language for this one; it evokes grand imagery and a sense of tension and soothing and longing, all at once. This was really beautifully written ~ so much, packed into so little.
LuxKen27 chapter 9 . 10/1/2009
Wow! What an exploration of Naraku's selfish need for Kikyo's validation. Only he would remember something that made her happy and work so hard to turn it into something that caused her anguish after his transformation. I love it! This is the sort of delicious evil so many attempt, but so few attain.