Reviews for Facets
amyhit chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
i've loved this fic for...god, five years now. it's one of my favorites in this fandom, easily. of course it's a bit late to tell you how wonderful it is, but i'm hoping that you already know as much. looking back in reminiscence i can't help thinking that Alias didn't deserve you. Your compassion for the characters *as they are*, your subtlety, your sense of poetic and dramatic orchestration - it's all so very far above the bar. and as a fic it weathers well, obviously. *g* i've only recently come to understand *how* appropriate your comparison to Merlin and Nimue truly is: he had foresight. he could have prevented what she would do. maybe i'm being overly hard on a show that i haven't had much esteem for in a long while, but i think you do these characters more than justice. i think you bolster them up and give them needed depth and resonance.
g0shawk chapter 1 . 6/19/2008
Wow, very nice. *nods approvingly* You captured Sloane's character really well. I especially like the part with Irina and the chessboard. And Merlin & Nimue...it's been a while since I read that story...how do they compare to Sloane & Syd? Regardless, you're awesome for mentioning Merlin :)
equisetum chapter 1 . 2/29/2008
This is such a perfect look inside Sloane's head.

Perfect line: “The only reason I could think of for you to save my life,” Jack once said grimly, stitching him back together, “is to encourage a feeling of debt on my part.” Evokes Jack really well. A great stand alone fic.
Riana1 chapter 1 . 10/25/2006
Chilling to the bone.
Thucydides chapter 1 . 6/29/2006
Very good snipets of life, covering interesting backstory. I especially like Sloane's reaction to Rambaldi and Sydney here, and find the incident with Irina and the chessboard very striking. The Sloane-Jack relationship is also covered well. I would love to see a story written by you on the conversation where Sloane first introduced the idea of recruiting Jack into the Alliance, in depth. Perhaps a two part saga, with the emotions and thoughts of both participant expressed, while outwardly they show only stoicism and subterfuge. It could make an amazing story.
Domenic chapter 1 . 6/19/2006
Going on favorites. (We need more really good stories on Arvin Sloane; sure, he's evil-not for evil's sake either, I don't think that's how he came to that point-but he's so damn INTERESTING.)

Love Emily, love Sydney, worship Jack; Erina still confuses me.
simon chapter 1 . 12/5/2005
incredible parts:

1. the calm compassion in her eyes undid him.

2. he never could resist a revelation.

3. arvin sloane had never understood why he should not choose both/and instead.

4. watching his blood on jack's hands with a certain fascination. where else should it be really?

there are many more that are quite good but the thing i love so much about your work is that each piece of this is delicious, first, in pieces. in the way that things are phrased and considered. then it is such a shiver envoking shock to come to the end of each segment and realize where the story was going all along. the truth of your work is unnerving and beautiful.

it is an amazing thing to feel like you have learned more about a character through a fic and that your appreciation and respect for the character has grown substantially. your piece does this.

if you can recommend any fics you've enjoyed i would like to check them out. i usually go to writers i respect when i'm looing for fic recommendations.
Pyrinsomniac chapter 1 . 10/27/2005
Oh, wow, this FITS Sloane. Dark, mysterious, not quite sure what exactly to make of it and the meaning is one that'll change every time you read it...

Very, very nice job.
thalia chapter 1 . 8/14/2005
I really enjoyed this story! You have such great insights into all the characters!

- Emily being drawn to Arvin because of his loneliness, he being drawn to her because of her compassion. That fits so well!

- Laura assembling the chessboard again and improving the position of a pawn. This moment gave me a little shiver; I could see it so clearly. Also interesting that she assists Jack here by rearranging the pawn to his advantage.

- Arvin and Sydney ressembling Merlin and Nimue. That's a very interesting comparison! I like it a lot.
Kea chapter 1 . 7/24/2005