Reviews for The Magpie
Nightcrawlerlover chapter 1 . 1/21/2011
Ooh, I like this. It's very well-written and creative. And the sonnet perfectly describes Kaiba.

"Sneering down at songbirds like they are zits" definitely means that Kaiba often smirks at his peers as though to say that he is (according to the revised and updated version of Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman, which I've been reading sometimes and recommend highly) the Mastermind (which is the male version of a Queen Bee in the "group", the male equivalent of a clique), and that people shouldn't challenge his masculinity. Plus, from my point of view, he must maintain the appearance of having got everything under control, and also feels that he "can't admit to anyone when he's in over his head" when having to do so (according to the book).

And I also think that just as the magpie longs to laugh with them ("them" being the songbirds, which also refers to Yugi, Tea, Joey and Tristan), so Kaiba also secretly longs to be free of the chains represented by expectations that were placed on him by his stepfather, never have to deal with more worries than he's used to, and laugh with Yugi and the gang as though he was a part of them his whole life.

Anyway, this is really great! :)

Keep up your super-neat, very brilliant and awesomely creative writing! :)
Anon chapter 1 . 5/2/2005
Wow, that's really good. The rhythm is smooth, and the flow is good. I know how hard it is to write sonnets. Well done.
Mareo and Anime chapter 1 . 3/30/2005
Perfect fit for Kiaba! And magpies are my favourite birds! Cool!