Reviews for Portrait Painting
Kung-fu Blaziken chapter 1 . 2/4
Well, the voices are spot-on, and I like the subject matter.
And that was quite a bittersweet ending.
A-plus.
Red Wings chapter 1 . 9/27/2013
Good lord.

For once, Kaiba Seto is actually being humble. As humble as he can be asking Pegasus, a man he actively loathes, for a portrait for the woman who in his past life saved him. And Pegasus...I liked how he took his revenge on Kaiba.

Kaiba/Seto x Kisara and Pegasus x Cyndia all the way. I love the way you portrayed both men.

There's a good reason why Seto would never do any of this, though. Admitting that he remembers the past means admitting that magic is real (though in the manga, he's merely indifferent to all the supernatural events around him than the American dub where he's totally atheist). If there is one criticism, it's that Seto said in canon, both manga and anime, that he doesn't live for the past - he's only interested in moving towards his future, living in the present. His reasons, of course, are because of Gozaburo, and the ancient past only brings up old hurts he'd rather much forget. Living in the past is pretty much death, which Gozaburo taught Seto that death is defeat. And Seto, as everyone knows, would never admit defeat.

Since this is an fanfic, it's forgiveable. And Seto would never admit it to Yugi or his friends...even Mokuba. The end of the fic shows exactly why Seto (the real Kaiba Seto) would never stoop to admitting remembering a girl he doesn't know sacrificing her life for him. He'd end up obsessed over the past, like Pegasus. "Reach out to touch her and feel what it is to see but not to hold". Talk about a double-edged gift. Despite that, I love what you did.

Very few writers can write a Seto who could appreciate the ancient past and actually feel that he should do something for Kisara, the wielder of the Blue Eyes White Dragon. For once, Seto isn't scoffing about some dream fantasy girl and is paying his due towards the past. While Seto is right in that one shouldn't live in the past, he needn't rush so fast forward that he forgets to live in the present. You did well in writing him here.
Ruby of Raven chapter 1 . 9/6/2013
Aw... Poor Kaiba... Now he's just like Pegasus, huh? I loved this anyways, though. XD Sad but extremely touching to all who reads it. You did a fantastic job writing this.
croquant chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
Whoa. The ending is almost chilling. Well written.
AnnaMNR chapter 1 . 3/19/2013
Beautiful!
Brother Mirtillo chapter 1 . 11/1/2012
I read this and a few of your other works some time ago. It’s only now that I can express just how much this story proves that you can write layered dialogue for layered characters like nobody’s business.
The banter and verbal sparring? The references to canon and timeline? The tender descriptions of the people, clothing, physical sensations? Those are ground-level skills here. (Props for them nonetheless. They’re relevant, accurate, lightly-paced and conducive to the upheaving impact of the unguarded moments to follow.)
What’s truly outstanding are that you’ve kept Kaiba’s and Pegasus’ standards as well as their exceptions. For example, Kaiba’s entrance to the studio affirms that Kaiba antagonizes jokers by being businesslike, and Pegasus antagonizes standoffish folks by joking. That’s just what they do. But you realized that, given the choice, neither of them would be in each other’s presence. The reason they’re doing so now indicates just how good of a reason they each had for arranging this situation.
Of course, it’s only after rereading that I realized just how significant Pegasus’ motivation was. Even so, you foreshadowed it (or at least stayed true to it) by having him latch onto certain bits of the conversation. I’m mainly thinking of his pause in their phone conversation, but the pause towards the end of the sketch stands out a little differently. It reminded me that Kaiba never heard Anzu read that story, and I doubt he ever heard it later. Damn straight, he wouldn’t hear it from Pegasus. But when I reread, that sniffle made me wonder if Pegasus was actually sympathizing with Kaiba. Perhaps there was a slight wavering in resolve. If so, it was fleeting, seeing as Pegasus became “inspired” later. To feel compassion and pull so cold a move in spite of that – no, *because* of that – that’s underhanded squared.
This doesn’t even go into the other ways you recalled that even such well-known characters as these have idiosyncrasies in their reactions – Pegasus’ gets derailed by the reintroduction of his Eye, Kaiba’s stoicness vanishes at each incarnation of the painting, etc. It describes them from so many sides and surprised me into fascination all the way.
I realize this story's well past yesterday's news by now. It deserves this anyway. Bravissimo.
mofalle chapter 1 . 5/12/2011
Absolutely beautiful, the imagary brought tears to my eyes. I thought you characterized Seto and Pegasus well.
Maggie chapter 1 . 12/28/2010
Too awesome for words.
yllimilly chapter 1 . 12/8/2010
Oh, Pegasus... You are cruel.

Very well written piece.

-Milly
Havelock Vetinari chapter 1 . 5/27/2010
...Wow. That last line... That was Pegasus's real reason for doing that, wasn't it?
Julia451 chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
I almost didn't dare to hope from the description that this would be what I thought it was!

Brilliant! Every word!
Setep Ka Tawy chapter 1 . 1/7/2010
Three words.

You - are - BRILLIANT.

Honestly, this has to be one of the most poignant and inspired stories about Seto that I've ever read. The combination of passion and humor was overwhelmingly beautiful. And you got both Kaiba's and Pegasus's characters spot on - personality, dialogue, everything. I don't even know how to fully express my awe. All I can say is, I'm off to read more of your work. You've definitely inspired me to continue writing my own Seto fics.
265589Alpha chapter 1 . 7/15/2009
Oh wow. Yu-Gi-Oh fanfiction that doesn't suck? that's a rarity. This was beautiful, well-written and all in all a joy to read.
LuoLiBei chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
Wow, great, I loved Pegasus' evil ulterior motive at the end. It is a dangerous thing to be obsessed with a dead person. :)
LostOzian chapter 1 . 4/20/2009
Ominous ending, comparing Kisara to Cecilia. Most of us forget about Cecilia because she was a hastily thrown together explanation at the end of Duelist Kingdom. We forget that Pegasus really misses her and he wouldn't move on so easily.

At least, I forget that. Very good job on this one! I likes it! -LostOzian